The Side Snare

Well this is the first thread I've started so let's start it off with a Hello.

Hello!

I'm wondering how many of you have, want and/or use a side snare.

Just a few questions:

#1 Do you have one?
#2 What is it (brand)?
#3 Do you actually use it and how often?
#4 Where do you place it in relation to the rest of your kit?
#5 What problems have you encountered?
#6 Do you want to share a picture?

I'll start

#1 Yes
#2 Griptoad (made it myself)
#3 Yes - very rarely
#4 Just to the left of the Hi-Hat at the same level and angled at my face (right handed drum set-up)
#5 Ring (needed a bit of moongel)

sidesnare1.jpg

Nothing touches the shell except the heads (nothing). No holes, no hardware, just head :)

Hello!

Just a few questions:

#1 Do you have one?
#2 What is it (brand)?

:)

1. Yes
2. Pearl soprano piccolo maple, 4x10"
3. No- it's just for taking ridiculous photos with, to post on drummerworld
4. All the way on the left
5. Can't figure out a spot to put it where i can actually reach and use it

uhh....

bubinga13.jpg

Hello!

Just a few questions:

#1 Do you have one?
#2 What is it (brand)?

Quick question regarding the snare you built - cool that nothing is touching the shell, however I wonder about tuning with the throw-off attached to the rims - it doesn't look like there would be any give on it, hence putting stress on both rims and mounting bracket if the tension wasn't the same all the time...

Nothing touches the shell except the heads (nothing). No holes, no hardware, just head :)

1) Yes.
2) 3x13 Pearl Piccolo (Maple)
3) No.
4) Approx 1.3Km West.
5) Hard to hit from that distance.
6) Okay:

Drums_OH.jpg

Hello!

Just a few questions:

#1 Do you have one?
#2 What is it (brand)?

I'll start

#1 Yes
#2 Griptoad (made it myself)
#3 Yes - very rarely
#4 Just to the left of the Hi-Hat at the same level and angled at my face (right handed drum set-up)
#5 Ring (needed a bit of moongel)

sidesnare1.jpg

1. yes
2. PDP stock 14 by 5 soon to get a popcorn I hope (I use a steel snare as my main)
3. yes all the time
4. to the left of my hats a bit higher then my main snare and it's flat
5. well it's the worse of my two snares and it has some tuning problems
6. can't right now

After much personal deliberation, I decided on a 12x6 or 12x7. That is because it will crnk up or possible serve as a main snare. There is enough body so it isn't just a "pop"

I paid $109 for a Mapex cherry/maple 12x7. It may get replaced by a Trick aluminum one of these days.

19518.jpg

Hello back!

#1 Do you have one? Yes. I have two.

#2 What is it (brand)? One is a Tama Metalworks (4" x 13"), one is a Pearl (6" x 10")

#3 Do you actually use it and how often? Depends what band I'm playing with, but there are certain acts where I use both almost as often as my main snare.

#4 Where do you place it in relation to the rest of your kit? The smaller one is to the left and above my snare, mounted coming off the hi hat stand, kind of where a smaller tom would go if I played 3 rack toms up to. The bigger one is on a stand, on the immediate left of my hi hat, at the same height as my main snare.

#5 What problems have you encountered? Depending on the room and how much time I have spent tuning, having three snares can create just an unholy amount of buzz. With a little time and care, though, that goes away. Other than that, nothing.

#6 Do you want to share a picture? Nope. Not that I would mind, but I don't have a good one.

hey vistalite...that's a neat side snare you made!

here's my answers:

#1 yes i have one
#2 pearl 5x12 firecracker (wood shell)
#3 i used it in the last band i was in (party/dance band), but i don't now.
#4 off to the left of my hi hat stand
#5 when i was using it with the last band, primarily for "dance" type songs, my left arm would kill me after playing an entire song!
#6 i do have a pic...click on "birch" in my signature...you'll see it along with my Ludwig birch kit. : )

#1 Do you have one? Yes
#2 What is it (brand)? Ludwig maple piccolo- 13x3
#3 Do you actually use it and how often? Depends. With my old small kit, I used it as a main snare. When I use it with my new (and now ONLY) kit, I crank it up and use it to contrast my Starclassic 14x6.5 brass snare. Even though cranked it has a good amount of ring, in context it sounds really quite dry. Fits really well for quiet beats, and I have my quieter HH Orchestral sitting above it for crash duty. Hitting it hard gives me a good hip hop snare sound.
#4 Where do you place it in relation to the rest of your kit? On a stand immediately left of my hat stand. It sits about 2 inches higher than my main snare to accommodate my left hand hitting it while my torso is turned that far. I've been playing my gong drum off to the left of that.
#5 What problems have you encountered? Tuning is an issue with this particular snare. I'll get it really sounding great, then take a week or two off from playing and come back to a horrid snare sound. It's also got a faulty throw-off which disengages by itself. I've had to tie it up, which limits some things that I can do.
#6 Do you want to share a picture? Sure!
2248182.jpg
2248177.jpg

#1 Do you have one?-Yup.
#2 What is it (brand)?-pdp
#3 Do you actually use it and how often?-Yeah, for funky stuff or a timbale sound.
#4 Where do you place it in relation to the rest of your kit?-Left of the HH
#5 What problems have you encountered?-No problems, just a gripe (the mount is drilled, ro rims)
#6 Do you want to share a picture? YES.

Attachments

• Small Pic 2.JPG
    Small Pic 2.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 3,997
  • Small Pic 3.JPG
    Small Pic 3.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 4,025
Lots of great and varying answers here. Very groovy indeed.

That's what she said......
LOL

Is that snare of yours a nightmare to tune? When your wrenching on one side to tune that side head your impacting the tuning you already did on the opposite side head?
That must be brutal?
Not at all. She tunes up super fast and super easy. If you think about it, you are only tuning one head. The other just grooves along for the ride. Of course there is some micro adjustment here and again but no big deal. The problem was figuring out what to do about the hardware. the throw-off connects the two rims so I had to slot one side to account for tuning. Once tuned I tighten up both sides of the mount. I do regret putting so many vent holes in the bottom head. That one has to be changed as I don't get the pressure I anticipated.

#1 Do you have one? Yes, one.
#2 What is it (brand)? PDP 6x10 Popcorn snare
#3 Do you actually use it and how often? Rarely. It's not been out of it's case in some time.
#4 Where do you place it in relation to the rest of your kit? When I set it up, it's to the left of my hi-hat, pretty much where everyone else puts their side snare.
#5 What problems have you encountered? While it's fun to play, I've never found myself in a musical situation that calls for it. Never once since I bought it have I used it with a band.

Problem 2 is sometimes I want an extra china, or an extra tom on my left, and if I try to set it all up at once, I've found the snare can't be on the same stand as anything else, or else I end up with a lot of snare buzz, so I have to put it on it's own stand, which can make the left side of kit a jumbled mess and somewhat awkward with so many stands.

However, I'm seriously considering bringing it back out. After watching what Jojo Mayer does with two snares, I'm inspired to give the side snare another chance.
#6 Do you want to share a picture? Well, right now, it would just be a picture of a drum in a case, which would be boring to look at, so I'll spare you! LOL.

It had to pop up sooner or later!

image.php

#1 Do you have one? Oh yes!
#2 What is it (brand)? Sonor 10x2 jungle snare
#3 Do you actually use it and how often? For a 2nd option in funk mostly, never in jazz. I also use it when I attempt to play drum and bass!
#4 Where do you place it in relation to the rest of your kit? Just to the left of the hats
#5 What problems have you encountered? Due to having no lugs, it gets very hard to tune after taking it apart. Other than that I love it!

Back