Guru snare competition results!

Magenta, the new Ringo.

Well, I am from Liverpool, but I think that's where it begins and ends. Whatever you heard, I heard something entirely different - I'm completely bemused now!

Love your style Magenta! Congrats!

Aww, thank you very much! Playing as little as possible reduces the likelihood of messing up ;)

dang it was fun and "I did it my way" in my best Sinatra singing voice. I'd do it again with the same outcome.
You certainly did Art, & I greatly appreciated your participation :)

Essentially, when you enter this contest you are competing against yourself,
Indeed you are! This was a challenge rather than a competition :)

Definitely Andy, I'm a techno idiot. Hopefully by then I've figured it all out how to record/upload.
You've got 10 months :)

You did a fine job with it, Mark, even if played on a *&%$ ekit ;)
Agreed Grea, a damn fine job!

I think this was one of the most enjoyable things I've done in recent memory -- challenging, exciting, and interesting.
I'm so pleased to hear that Al. If I could, I'd award a prize to everyone.

One of the best threads of the year. Great prizes, great sponsor, great drumming.

Congrats to all.

GJS
Wow, thank you, & I hope you can take part in next year's event (whatever form that may take).

Playing as little as possible reduces the likelihood of messing up ;)
Indeed, but I'm hoping to see you stretch out a little more next year, with renewed confidence & authority in your playing. A new kit may help with that ;) ;) ;)

Hello everybody!

First of all thank you Andy for this great competition and thanks to all fellow competitors, it was lovely hearing all these great takes on the track! I received the drum last week and I've played around with it quite a bit now. It is such a versatile, strong and loud snare, something I've never heard before.

Here's the first clip I made with the drum. It seems as this drum is at it's best when tuned pretty low. Such a nice sound. I know there's drums in the background but I really pushed my drum track on top of the mix so you can hear the snare quite well. Thank you again Andy! I will be recording some more for sure :)

https://youtu.be/HMqCsMs6y7U

-Ilkka

Hello everybody!

First of all thank you Andy for this great competition and thanks to all fellow competitors, it was lovely hearing all these great takes on the track! I received the drum last week and I've played around with it quite a bit now. It is such a versatile, strong and loud snare, something I've never heard before.

Here's the first clip I made with the drum. It seems as this drum is at it's best when tuned pretty low. Such a nice sound. I know there's drums in the background but I really pushed my drum track on top of the mix so you can hear the snare quite well. Thank you again Andy! I will be recording some more for sure :)

https://youtu.be/HMqCsMs6y7U

-Ilkka
Wow - just feckin WOW! I can't begin to tell you how much I love your playing on this. You've tuned the snare perfectly for this track too :)

There's nothing subtle about a zebrano stave, but nor it it brutal, & you've brought that out in spades. This is also a good demonstration of how a well designed 13" snare can be an appropriate choice for low tuning satisfaction.

Ilkka, you deserved your first prize win, & this video just reinforces that. Class!!!

Andy.

Love that clip. Congrats on your new Guru and great job!

That was FAB.

I hope your well-earned snare brings you many years of happiness!

What an undertaking!!! I doff my Mets cap. A relentless & wonderful & proactively positive thing to do for the drumming community, at large. Good vibes, and happy shiny faces all around. Players and watchers, both. Andy, you are one heck of a guy.

3 cheers for the Andyman!

hip hip.....

Well done, winners & non winners!

What an undertaking!!! I doff my Mets cap. A relentless & wonderful & proactively positive thing to do for the drumming community, at large. Good vibes, and happy shiny faces all around. Players and watchers, both. Andy, you are one heck of a guy.

3 cheers for the Andyman!

hip hip.....

Well done, winners & non winners!

Cheers Abe :)
I'm travelling right now, so have limited access.

Thank you for your kind words. The competition does represent a lot of work, & some cost too, but I enjoy it, & I get great satisfaction from others enjoying it too. This year's competition was fairly challenging, & asked quite a lot of the contestants, so I'm grateful to all who took time out to get involved.

I will try to keep mouth closed...but really...are you serious?
Serious about what? You seem to be upset about something. If you have an opinion or concern, I'd be most interested in hearing it.

I will try to keep mouth closed...but really...are you serious?

Serious about what? You seem to be upset about something. If you have an opinion or concern, I'd be most interested in hearing it.

Don't sweat it, Andy. I think it's probably best if sportyridr does manage to keep his/her mouth closed, following the good principle that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. You can't please everybody, and it only takes one displeased person to undermine all the good feeling - you know that as well as anyone. If somebody is determined to have a problem, they will, regardless of what you do or say.

Thanks for the great competition Andy, I hope there's more to come :)!

Congrats to Ilkka, very well done, you were my favourite along with Máté Jancsovics,
who'd have deserved to win category 4 in my humble and subjective opinion :).

I especially like your performance because you uploaded very fast, so
obviously you haven't practiced for weeks, haha :)! While I was the latest
for sure, you must have been one of the first.

Don't sweat it, Andy.
I'm not, but I am always interested in positive & informed criticism. I hope Sportyridr returns with his / her considered thoughts.

Thanks for the great competition Andy, I hope there's more to come :)!

Congrats to Ilkka, very well done, you were my favourite along with Máté Jancsovics,
who'd have deserved to win category 4 in my humble and subjective opinion :).

I especially like your performance because you uploaded very fast, so
obviously you haven't practiced for weeks, haha :)! While I was the latest
for sure, you must have been one of the first.
Thank you my Toblerone landscape friend ;) I really loved your submission, & I personally agree with your category 4 winner observation too, but I'm not the judge - thankfully!

Back