Yamaha or Pearl?

Jamie2C

I've been thinking about buying a new drum kit, and I don't know which is better.

Yamaha Gig Maker or Pearl Export? Give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Jamie.
Just to save everybody time. There exists virtually the same thread. And the answer is the same as your cymbal thread.

Go to the store.

There are serious professionals posting at DW. Use them wisely. Ask your questions in the Technique section.

Today I taught serious students for 5 hours. Do you have any real questions for me?

Jamie.
Just to save everybody time. There exists virtually the same thread. And the answer is the same as your cymbal thread.

Go to the store.

There are serious professionals posting at DW. Use them wisely. Ask your questions in the Technique section.

Today I taught serious students for 5 hours. Do you have any real questions for me?
Stop avoiding the inevitable Wy, the answer is obviously Saturn ;)

How would drums sound played on Saturn? Now THAT is a question! :)

There exists virtually the same thread.

Where? Sorry if I'm new at this, and I've only been drumming in drum kits that weren't mine for almost five or six years and only now I have the chance to buy my own kit, and if my questions sound stupid to you, don't bother answering.

When I ask for opinions, it is only for those who want to give theirs.

Btw, don't think that I'm angry or something, as I said, I'm new, so I have to learn the answer to my "stupid" questions to be able to make greater and "real" questions as you said.

Thanks once again. (Everybody starts somewhere.)

Hi Jamie.

Don't sweat it mate. We all get it.

What concerns me is that you may innocently place yourself in a position where the more serious guys avoid you, thinking some kid dreaming over catalogues is asking for help.

Personally, I believe DW is not really the forum for that. I urge you to ask about drumming, not drums. I believe you will gain more in the long term here by doing so.

Us older guys have been in your position and we do understand. But please be aware, I for example am currently in the 4th decade of my own career. Answering "Is this better than that" is best left for store clerks. Not serious professionals.

Ask me about compound stickings and the books used in order to develop playing. I and other will gladly help. We may even disagree. :)

Use THIS forum wisely.

I got your PM.

I will spend time helping you tomorrow. :)

All brands (Yamaha/Pearl/Gretsch/Ludwig/DW) make perfectly nice kits at this point, and brand loyalty is about as important as getting the color and look that you want. If you're not going to personally go to the shop and play a bunch of kits, You might as well make a pie-chart with all of the brand names on it and throw a dart to make the choice.

All brands (Yamaha/Pearl/Gretsch/Ludwig/DW) make perfectly nice kits at this point, and brand loyalty is about as important as getting the color and look that you want. If you're not going to personally go to the shop and play a bunch of kits, You might as well make a pie-chart with all of the brand names on it and throw a dart to make the choice.

+1. If you stick with a name brand there really isn't too much of a difference between sets at the beginner level. Shell wise they pretty much are all the same, they are usually Poplar or Basswood or some combination of those with something else. Where you get a bit of difference is what mounting system they use and a lot of that is personal preference. Also like KamaK said a lot of it has to do with brand loyalty and look as well.

The difficulty with the question is that drums, probably more so than a lot of other instruments are highly personal. One person might like a certain setup, where another is completely different. Also this question has been asked MANY MANY times before on this and other boards. I would suggest doing a search for "beginner drums" or "first drum set" you'll find a bunch out there as well as probably a number of videos on YouTube touting the benefits of one set over another... however as said before most of that is all personal preference.

My advice just decide on something and stick with it. I would probably say most all of us started on drums that were way worse and about three times more expensive than the cheapest set you can buy at the music store now, and it worked fine for us. What drum set you get won't make or break you as a drummer. I'd almost say get what you think makes you look the coolest, because then you'd probably practice more, because at the beginner point most haven't developed the ear to hear the nuances between one set or another.

Back