PROTECT YOUR EARS - ear plugs, hearing loss, deafness

Re: Tinnitus Anyone?

After almost 30 years of playing and countless concerts that were way too loud, I only get the ringing once in a while. I consider myself lucky. I have never worn ear plugs but have tried them several times. These days, I don't listen or play at ear splitting levels. Concerts today don't seem as loud and abusive as they use to be in the 80's and 90's. There are still a few that push it ( Motley Crue for example) I don't go to (CLUB) shows that often. They are total hell on your ears. It doesn't have to be that way IMO. So even tho I have chilled big time with the high volume levels, I know it can still bite me after all this time. I would say if you don't like ear plugs, don't expose yourself to abusive sound levels. Loud music is cool if it's done correctly meaning (clean loud) no harsh frequencies, distortion and so on.

its just such a hassel....but its probably a good idea.

To get permanent tinnitus at your age would be tragic. Imagine all those years with a constant whine or ring that never, ever goes away. If you're experiencing the symptoms every time you play, i'd suggest that it's a MUST that you start protecting your ears. Take the warning.

So after 30 years of playing and even with using earplugs/ear protection, I still got tinnitus a few years ago. Its like having a small tea kettle whistling all the time in your head. Who else has it, how bad, and what, if anything are you doing about it.

Yes, I too have been diagnosed (to a degree) with tinniitus.
It just started this last summer. it actually started as an inner ear infection, once the infection was gone the "hissing" as i call it never went away. I had two hearing test since then and been told i have very little hearing loss, for a drummer, but there is nothing they say can be done about the tinnitus.

I have found, that when i play with the band, and i'm wearing my heros in my ears for a long period of time, it tends to be less noticable than an average work day on the jobsite with machines running and the sounds of construction equipment rattleing in my ears. then of course an hour or so on the drums when i get home (gun muffs on my ears) and they bother me more than after band practice.

I have it. Diagnosed three weeks ago by an ENT. I've had an MRI of my brain, hearing tests, blood workup, and a sleep study. More tests scheduled and I feel like a pin cushion. I'll be going to Mayo if my local doc's don't have a fix within the next few months. There may not be a fix, see the link below.

FYI, ringing started the week my new kit arrived. Hearing tests show that nothing is wrong with my hearing. MRI shows that nothing wrong with hearing canal. About a month ago, I couldn't take it any more and went to a doc, first time since high school football. I wake up every couple hours. Miserable.
http://mayoclinic.com/health/tinnitus/DS00365
Joey

PS Snare ringing is good. This kind of ringing is no good.

Joey,
I know the feelin', it drives ya nuts for awhile but you'll get used to it. i'm sorry it had to happen to ya rite around the arrival of the new Dubs. don't let it discourage you. If all the proper tests where done and theres no sign of anything else...............than its just that...........tinnitus sorry!

Last edited:

I've had Tinnitus for many years but the best thing I did was get musician's earplugs about ten years ago. They basically stopped things from getting worse. True, I've gotten use to Tinnitus but that's not everyone. The problem is that frequencies of Tinnitus affect everyone differently. Unfortunately the damage I received was done early on in my music career and there wasn't much info on Tinnitus, so by the time I developed it, it was too late.
My problem isn't severe like some and like I said, the ear plugs helped along with Vic Firth headphones to practice with. I can now enjoy my music career with little aggrevation.
I hope everything works out for you. ;-)

I've had it for a number of years.

In the last 6-7 years, I've used ear plugs about %95 of the time. I've played a few "softer" gigs where I didn't wear them.

But, I did make the mistake of not wearing them for a few gigs and jams this last year.... I can't say it's made it worse, but it certainly didn't make it any better.

I believe in wearing 'em. As I write this, I can hear it quite well.

(edit) - It meaning the ring!

I dont know, Ive given my ears CONSTANT abuse, i listen to my ipod on full blast and drum along, but I am not getting any problems. However, my left ear does blow out for a few seconds a day. It sucks....I think im gonna start wearing ear plugs.

Try the Vic Firth Stereo Isolation Headphones. They are made to keep out excess noise from the drums. That way you don't have to blast the volume in the headphones.

Try the Vic Firth Stereo Isolation Headphones. They are made to keep out excess noise from the drums. That way you don't have to blast the volume in the headphones.

That's a great idea for playing along with music.

I basically made my own headphones with something similar to these:
SIL_ELP-97.JPG

Nothing to fancy, but they've worked great even in studio.

It's really important to protect your ears!! I'm 14 years old and I have permanent tinnitus, even though I use custom made ear protectors. It's sometimes hard to fall asleep because of that...
And it's a fact (yes, it sounds a bit ridiculous) that a lot of people with tinnitus get depressive and some people do suicide because of that... I'm NOT kidding!
And if it's really bad you can lose balance, but it's hard to explain that in English for me...
PROTECT YOUR EARS!!

The herb "ginko biloba" is known to relieve some tinnitus. I used to suffer with tinnitus and certain brands of ginko worked for me while others didn't. So, for all you sufferers out there, do a little research on ginko and see if it might help relieve some of the symptoms.

Tinnitus isn't always caused by loud music, although it is the most common cause. Tinnitus is not a disease, but a symptom. I've read that certain causes of tinnitus can be by grinding teeth due to stress, high doses of aspirin, carotid artery blockage, rare tumors of the hearing nerve and Meniere's disease. Straining to hear and the aggravation over the hearing loss can make the condition worse. I've read also that 50 million people in America alone have it to some degree. In 90% of those cases the tinnitus will go away after a short time. I am proof that in some cases it will go away. I had tinnitus for about 10 years and it has gone away.

Re: PROTECT YOUR EARS.

Allowable exposure...15 minutes at a rock concert! And I saw RUSH twice in 2004. When I play at home I use a pair of those nice Vic Firth headphones to protect my ears. Or if I am recording, I use a pair of ear plugs that I've had for over a decade.

I was born with hearing loss and also born with tinnitus. The high pitch hearing loss is at the level were I can not even hear cymbals on Cd's. All I can say is wear ear plugs. I have been wearing them for about 20yrs. and it helps alot.

I feel kinda bad for going to that Mastodon concert and standing 4" from the monitors... My hearing is precious to me, I either wear ear plugs or play very quietly at all times.

Listen guys and Mods (no pun intended) I think it should be a matter of importance to inform the younger generation of this condition. Hearing loss is no joke.

It would be great to at least have a STICKY for this issue.

Anyway, I'm getting my ear attenuators soon off Frank Cass and Sons in Kimmage, Dublin. I'll let you all know how they work out - and if it's worth the 200$ or not. He has told me they don't lose any clarity, which is important.

I'm banking on it being better than sponge ear plugs, i.e: muffled.

Back