I'm New Here - My Drums

paistepower92

Hey, i'm new to this forum, and wanted to show off my kit.

Gretsch Catalina Maple-in Cherry Red
-10x8 (not pictured, need to repair)
-12x9
-14x14
-16x16 (not pictured)
-22x18
-14x6
- I'm going to be building a 14x8 inch snare from a Gladstone shell

Cymbals
-14" Meinl MCS hihats (to be replaced with 13" HH Fusions)
-19" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
-20" Paiste 2002 (Black Label) Heavy Ride
-18" Meinl Soundcaster Fusion China
-I'll also be getting a 18" Paiste Giant Beat after a few other drum purchases
1024_P5070008.JPG
1024_P6060011.JPG
1024_P6060012.JPG
1024_P6060014.JPG
1024_P6060015.JPG
1024_P6060016.JPG
1024_P6060019.JPG
1024_P6060018.JPG
1024_P6060020.JPG
1024_P6060025.JPG

Nice kit. That first set up is interesting. Why do you have a cymbal where the tom should be?

Welcome! Nice kit you got there. I saw the four-piece and then read you have a 6-piece. I would totally recommend sticking with the four-piece. There's so much you can play with just that. Although the three-piece is nice (eliminating the rack tom) - I've been seeing alot of players do that these days.

You'll find alot of extremely helpful folks here on this forum. This one is not like those others. We're actually nice to each other and discussions don't get so heated that there's this hate floating around. We all act like adults (I think).

You'll find alot of extremely helpful folks here on this forum. This one is not like those others. We're actually nice to each other and discussions don't get so heated that there's this hate floating around. We all act like adults (I think).

What is that supposed to mean, have you had bad experiences on other forums? I'm a member of a lot of different ones and I haven't had any problems.

What is that supposed to mean, have you had bad experiences on other forums? I'm a member of a lot of different ones and I haven't had any problems.

Really?. You havent seen some of the knuckleheads on some of the other forums?.

You must be extremely lucky to be on "alot" of forums and never see any of the Trolls.

What are you getting defensive for anyway?. You were getting nothing but compliments. :/

Just watch out for bobdadruma,
That guy is bad news!
Don't even make eye contact with him.

Nice kit and welcome to DW.

Last edited:
A beautiful Gretsch kit from the owner of another beautiful Gretsch kit. Congrats.

Welcome! Nice kit you got there. I saw the four-piece and then read you have a 6-piece. I would totally recommend sticking with the four-piece. There's so much you can play with just that. Although the three-piece is nice (eliminating the rack tom) - I've been seeing alot of players do that these days.

Personally, I keep both my floor toms set up, that way I have a place to put stuff like coffee, my Cakewalk shortcut keyboard, wireless mouse, nudie magazines, etc. Also useful for hanging a stick bag on!

Other than that, I concur, I used to have a monster Mike Portnoy type kit with 20 drums and 30 cymbals, and now I play essentially a 4-piece (+an 18" floor for above mentioned convenience).

Really?. You havent seen some of the knuckleheads on some of the other forums?.

You must be extremely lucky to be on "alot" of forums and never see any of the Trolls.

What are you getting defensive for anyway?. You were getting nothing but compliments. :/

Personally, I keep both my floor toms set up, that way I have a place to put stuff like coffee, my Cakewalk shortcut keyboard, wireless mouse, nudie magazines, etc. Also useful for hanging a stick bag on!

Other than that, I concur, I used to have a monster Mike Portnoy type kit with 20 drums and 30 cymbals, and now I play essentially a 4-piece (+an 18" floor for above mentioned convenience).

Homeularis-I'm not getting defensive, just asking a question.

simmsdn- Really the only reason its only a 4 piece is because I was too lazy to bring the other 2 drums out of the basement, but this is what I use for gigs.

Nice looking drums. Always good to take outdoor photo's too. Really brings out the crisp detail, especially in such a lovely setting.

BTW, have no shame in your alternative 6 piece setup. I have 2 x 6 piece kits, & Bo's constantly on my back about it (in a fun way), even though he has a 5 piece:)

Have fun with your Cats. They can sound great with the right heads and tuning. I have the same set as you amongst my kit collection. Aside from hardware issues such as lugs, spurs and mounts (which can all be resolved by tweaking instead of replacing) it is a great kit. Let us hear some clips of your best Travis Orbin licks.

I like your first picture (set up) best ... 0 up, 2 down. I have my Luddies set up 0 up, 3 down.

Back