highwood beech legacy 1976

richmcf

HI guys

Any one had any expiriecne with these drums, or highwood in general? Im looking to buy a shell pack second hand and have been offered a highwood beech legacy 1976 for £500 with a snare... any thought? advice? How do these stack up to more mainstread drums such as saturns ect?

Cheers

Rich

Highwood are very, very well made UK Custom drums.

The Beech Legacy are probably about as vintage as you can get. From the 'UK Custom News Report' by Jeremy Peake in October 2012:

Highwood drums and percussion have had a very busy few months. The launch of the 1976 Legacy kits was great success. The Legacy kits are being made with new, old stock beech drum shells saved by Clive Adams of Mercury Drums. Clive sadly passed away earlier this year and Highwood were asked by his family to help clear his unit. It was then that they discovered the shells Clive had obtained when the Promuco Drum Company folded in the late 70''s. These shells are amazing, unique in their construction and have the grain running on a 45 degree angle. They were made using the same technology used to make parachute drop canisters in WWII. Each drum made has a label inside explaining their history and dedicated to Clive for his work as a drum maker and for preserving hundreds of these shells.

The kits are available in 13”, 16” and 22” sizes, and snares can be made in 13” and 14”.

Highwoods link:

http://www.highwooddrums.co.uk/products/1976-legacy-beech

I'd snatch one up, but as we are planning to emigrate, if I bought any more gear I'd probably get lynched.

HI guys

Any one had any expiriecne with these drums, or highwood in general? Im looking to buy a shell pack second hand and have been offered a highwood beech legacy 1976 for £500 with a snare... any thought? advice? How do these stack up to more mainstread drums such as saturns ect?

Cheers

Rich
We know Gareth & the Highwood guys very well. They're good people, & the drums are assembled well. For that price, you should jump all over them - seriously!

VAT? is that your tax. For 500 pounds they look rather nice. If you can pound on them first, but I wouldn't hesitate

Wow, never heard of these guys. Do they have any North American distribution? It looks like just UK on the website.

Back