Yamaha Drums

Well - I'm a little late to the MCAN party, but I picked up a well used set yesterday.

Spent about 8 hours trying to get it cleaned up, and about 8 hours trying to explain to my wife why I got another set when I already have 4.
And why the used, corroded one cost more than any of the new ones I got - LOL.

One of these turned up locally, and amazingly enough in my preferred sizes - 10,12,14,20.

I see one of the disadvantages of chromed aluminum rims - they're subject to the same type of pitting as Supras.
You can see some of the cleaned up pitting on the snare rims in the pic below.
The snare and the top of the floor tom were the worst. The tom I could switch upper/lower, but I'm going to have to live with the snare.

It came with the matching snare, snare stand, 2 heavy duty CS845 boom stands, a hi hat stand, a throne, and a set of 13" New Beats - for under $1,000.
Asking price was more, but he wanted to include some cymbals and a pedal - we bargained down with the pieces I didn't take.
Even given that I had to put a lot of elbow grease into it, I'm pretty happy with the deal.
I've got the drums cleaned up pretty good, but haven't started on the stands yet.
It's going to need new heads - the only one I changed so far was the snare.

Not sure how I feel about the lugs.
Only defects other than the pitting were one bent tension rod, and one scratch on the bass where it looks like a tom fell. Not too noticeable though.

OK - enough talk - time for some pics:

Well, some chrome pitting aside - those are timeless classics, and yes a great deal. Congratulations. The lugs will be just fine, you'll see. The finish looks like they have aged very nicely.
Could you do me a favour though? Can you put either a white head or a Fiberskyn reso on that bass drum, take a picture and post it here? I have always wanted to see that on this finish. Again, congrats, they are gorgeous.

Neal

I think you'll enjoy those. They're great drums. I've got BCAN from the same era. You got a good deal. Have fun.

So why did you? What's missing from the four sets you already own?

It's long story: my re-entry into drumming after a lifelong break was a new Natural Wood 5 pc. Stage Custom Birch with a 20" kick.
Then I got a new Natural Wood Bop kit to mix and match with it.

3 days later I saw a used Cranberry Red Bop kit for a price I couldn't resist. It's the only used one I've ever seen around here.
Of course I had to get a CR kit with 20" bass to mix and match, so I traded in a keyboard I wasn't using for that and a cymbal pack.
So, I ended up with four Stage Custom Birch kits that, while very nice, are much too similar, even with different heads, finishes, and sizes.

Last edited:
Well, some chrome pitting aside - those are timeless classics, and yes a great deal. Congratulations. The lugs will be just fine, you'll see. The finish looks like they have aged very nicely.
Could you do me a favour though? Can you put either a white head or a Fiberskyn reso on that bass drum, take a picture and post it here? I have always wanted to see that on this finish. Again, congrats, they are gorgeous.

Neal

I've had all the lugs off. The first one freaked me out a little, when it spun off the retainer.
I soon figured out that I could hold the lug and spin the rod out with a drill key, in my usual way.
As long as you get them lined up with, and keep upward pressure on the retainer when going back on, there isn't any problem.
Can't figure out how someone bent a tension rod so badly though.

Fiberskyn on the bass was my first thought also. I will get one and post a pic when I do, but it might take a little time.
There's a big, jagged port hole in the current head.

Last edited:
Yes I'm thinking along the same lines...maybe that picture was not the actual kit.
TBH, the interiors might be cherry too- I only saw them once last week very briefly. Stay tuned...I will sort it all out in a few days.

Neal

There is no way that pic is of the kit you are describing. I blew it up using 'Paint.' The tom dimensions of the kit in the pic aren't 9x10 and 10x12, no way. And yes, if its early 1st gen BCA the interiors would be Cherry not black, if its the factory stain.

Well - I'm a little late to the MCAN party, but I picked up a well used set yesterday.

Beautiful kit and nice score. Congrats!

Spent about 8 hours trying to get it cleaned up, and about 8 hours trying to explain to my wife why I got another set when I already have 4.
And why the used, corroded one cost more than any of the new ones I got - LOL.

One of these turned up locally, and amazingly enough in my preferred sizes - 10,12,14,20.

I see one of the disadvantages of chromed aluminum rims - they're subject to the same type of pitting as Supras.
You can see some of the cleaned up pitting on the snare rims in the pic below.
The snare and the top of the floor tom were the worst. The tom I could switch upper/lower, but I'm going to have to live with the snare.

It came with the matching snare, snare stand, 2 heavy duty CS845 boom stands, a hi hat stand, a throne, and a set of 13" New Beats - for under $1,000.
Asking price was more, but he wanted to include some cymbals and a pedal - we bargained down with the pieces I didn't take.
Even given that I had to put a lot of elbow grease into it, I'm pretty happy with the deal.
I've got the drums cleaned up pretty good, but haven't started on the stands yet.
It's going to need new heads - the only one I changed so far was the snare.

Not sure how I feel about the lugs.
Only defects other than the pitting were one bent tension rod, and one scratch on the bass where it looks like a tom fell. Not too noticeable though.

OK - enough talk - time for some pics:

Beautiful kit WB!...I really like the vintage finish.. So much so that I have 5 yamaha snares in that finish....congrats!

....Why do I care? Because I bought them and they are on the way to me next week...
...So all will be revealed in a week or so…
Neal

So - any update on those?

....Could you do me a favour though? Can you put either a white head or a Fiberskyn reso on that bass drum, take a picture and post it here? I have always wanted to see that on this finish. Again, congrats, they are gorgeous.

Neal

That didn't take too long. I couldn't stand looking at that hacked up reso head, so made a quick trip and picked one up.
Not sure what I'll use on the rest of the drums, except to know that they'll be white and coated.
Here 'ya go:

Last edited:
So - any update on those?

That didn't take too long. I couldn't stand looking at that hacked up reso head, so made a quick trip and picked one up.
Not sure what I'll use on the rest of the drums, except to know that they'll be white and coated.
Here 'ya go:

Yes, the shell interiors are indeed stained cherry (not black). If you mean what the drums actually are, maybe you missed post #2012 above. I am going to swap out Alu die cast hoops from another set of toms I have, and probably the badges. I have also decided that I am cutting down every drum except the snare. This kit will be 10x6,12x7,14x12 and 20x14 when I'm done. With DC Alu hoops, screwed on silver badges and cherry stained interiors. They will be unique!!

That Fiberskyn looks fantastic! Thanks for posting. I think the old 'black reso head on everything' days are gone. Fiberskyns look great on wood drums - and on sparkle finishes too.

WB, I would say that you got a phenomenal deal on those drums...I'm wish deals like that would come my way once in a while. Enjoy them!

...maybe you missed post #2012 above....

I saw the post, but can't see the pictures - LOL

WB, I would say that you got a phenomenal deal on those drums...I'm wish deals like that would come my way once in a while. Enjoy them!

Thanks to you and all that have commented.
Yes, I think it's a very good deal. I figured if I didn't jump on it, I'd kick myself later.

Beautiful kit WB!...I really like the vintage finish.. So much so that I have 5 yamaha snares in that finish....congrats!

I'm not sure what I think of the snare yet. I'm going to have to spend some more time with it. I'm pretty settled in to a little deeper 13" snares now.
But this one will stay around whether I use it on a set or not. I wouldn't break up a matching kit/snare like that.
EDIT: spent some time with the snare in the last few days. Big and beefy. I like it, but it's quite a contrast to the 13's I've been using.

Last edited:
I never posted the full timeline of the '67.

From the first online ad to the restoration to the last updates:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...681.1073741865.1221222716&type=1&l=c735cbfc62

10523967_10204459851115924_1357959924572724383_n.jpg

Last edited:
my 2000 Absolute set was $1650, bought new from a dealer in PA, USA. It included 10x9, 12x10, 14x12 all hanging toms and a 22x18. Absolute in vintage finish with the old golden badges, At 2.5% average annual inflation that comes to $2,275 at the end of 2013, using the following formula: $1,650 * (1.025)^13

I now have a birch absolute nouveau in cherry and a Tama bubinga elite in red banded copper. I miss the maple sound and was thinking about the absolute hybrid until I saw the suggested prices

Going back over this thread, I found that I never responded to this post, in which you gave me the information I asked you for.
You only have two posts here, and the last was in Feb., but if you ever return here,
I just wanted to give you a thank you for this information.

Plugging the numbers in this inflation calculator: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
I come up with $2,279.07 in 2014 dollars.
Earlier in this thread, it was stated that the move of production to China would result in
a 30% decrease in pricing.
That would work out to $1,595.35.

Probably an unrealistic figure, especially if you had gotten some type of super deal.
But it might give some indication of why there was some surprise over the announced pricing.

My initial thoughts on tier pricing, even before the Live Oaks were out, was that the bottom tier -
Stage Customs go for about $650. So the next tier (Live Oaks) would probably be about double that price,
and the next tier (Absolute Hybrid) would be about triple the price of the bottom tier. -
650, 1,300, 1950.
I'm a bit of a tightwad when it comes to spending, so I probably wouldn't have been too much tempted even by that.

Luckily, for people like me, there are sometimes good deals to be found on the used market.

Going back over this thread, I found that I never responded to this post, in which you gave me the information I asked you for.
You only have two posts here, and the last was in Feb., but if you ever return here,
I just wanted to give you a thank you for this information.

Plugging the numbers in this inflation calculator: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
I come up with $2,279.07 in 2014 dollars.
Earlier in this thread, it was stated that the move of production to China would result in
a 30% decrease in pricing.
That would work out to $1,595.35.

Probably an unrealistic figure, especially if you had gotten some type of super deal.
But it might give some indication of why there was some surprise over the announced pricing.

My initial thoughts on tier pricing, even before the Live Oaks were out, was that the bottom tier -
Stage Customs go for about $650. So the next tier (Live Oaks) would probably be about double that price,
and the next tier (Absolute Hybrid) would be about triple the price of the bottom tier. -
650, 1,300, 1950.
I'm a bit of a tightwad when it comes to spending, so I probably wouldn't have been too much tempted even by that.

Luckily, for people like me, there are sometimes good deals to be found on the used market.

Yes, $1650 for a 4 piece MCA is a great price...I purchased three of my BCA toms (10",12",14") at 40% off back in 2001; even with that discount they still cost me almost $1200, so that price he posted must have been a close out price..my 20" BCA kick had an MSRP of $1480, and generally cost $900 if ordered on its own (bought my mine used for substantially less - $550)... If I remember correctly MCA/BCA shell packs usually sold in the $2100-$2200 range back then...

Thanks to you also scorch. I plugged those numbers in too, but won't bother to repost them here again.

I'm really diggin' the new/old MCAN's I got last week. They sound great.
Also sold two of the stage custom birch kits, so I'm down to a more reasonable total of three kits.
Looking on Yamaha's site, it seems the type of drums I got (nouveau lugs) were made somewhere between 2002 and 2009. Does that seem about right?

Thanks to you also scorch. I plugged those numbers in too, but won't bother to repost them here again.

I'm really diggin' the new/old MCAN's I got last week. They sound great.
Also sold two of the stage custom birch kits, so I'm down to a more reasonable total of three kits.
Looking on Yamaha's site, it seems the type of drums I got (nouveau lugs) were made somewhere between 2002 and 2009. Does that seem about right?

They came out in 2003-2008...hook lugs replaced the nouveau lugs in 2008....how do you like the nouveau lugs? ... I really like them on my MCAN ...makes changing heads a breeze... Do like the look of the hook lugs better though...

Last edited:
They came out in 2003-2008...hook lugs replaced the nouveau lugs in 2008....how do you like the nouveau lugs? ... I really like them on my MCAN ...making changing heads a breeze... Do like the look of the hook lugs better though...

They're useable, but I would never have ordered them on a new set.
Going back on, the rods turn easily until they hit the part of the thread that retains the rods.
At that point, I have to use a key to turn them down until they hit the rim.
I usually change heads on my other drums with an electric drill driven key, so these lugs are
actually a bit slower for me to work with.

I prefer standard lugs where I can spin the rod down with my fingers till it hits the rim.
It makes tuning easier for me.
They don't make me dislike these drums though - good god, they sound nice.

Anyways - I like the look of the newer hook lugs too.

Last edited:
Back