Ludwig restoration project

Hi

I have been working on restoring my Ludwig late 60's/early 70's blue oyster (bowling ball) kit. Thought you might like to see some pics, I will upload more as I progress:

Before - This was taken the last time I had the kit set up at a jam session. The bottom rims/heads are missing and most of the chrome work is pitted and scratched:
SNV30596.jpg

During - Everything removed and ready for cleraning/replacement;
SNV33180.jpg

16" Floor tom treated to new legs, rims, tension bolts and mounting brackets. Awaiting arrival of new heads;
SNV33225.jpg

After - 13" tom complete with new rims and tension rods. All hardware and wrap cleaned up. Fitted with Coated REMO Vintage A batter head and REMO diplomat reso. Sounds amazing!!
SNV33228.jpg

SNV33227.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do on the kick drum but so far I am happy, its a work in progress and I am enjoying restoring them as much as I do playing them.... well, almost.

More pics to follow, as it happens.....

thats sweet.
potential is a beautiful thing haha. i really want to see how that thing comes together. nice project

Man that is sweet, I love vintage luddies. You know, I may be able to help you finish those, Just send them to a P.O. Box to be disclosed later in an obscure location Where you could never find me (Or them) and I'll clean em up and send em right back... I promise... ;)

Seriously, Awesome set...I'm a lil jealous

Looks like a 22, 13, 16 coming together very nicely. Long live vintage drums. You can check out my Rogers project here: http://harryconway.typepad.com/ if you're so inclined. Great set of Luddies you have.

Very nice! Classic Ludwig all the way!

Excellent job..they Look Great!!
I can't wait to see the photo's when your all done.

Thanks for the comments guys, heads arrived today for the 16" floor tom....
SNV33238.jpg

Next up the kick drum, this is going to cost a fair bit of money and therefore will take a little longer. All the hoop claws and t handles need replacing as well as the tom holder post and spurs. It will be worth it though I feel. ;-)

As promised, a new pic as the project progresses... I have now cleaned the bass drum wrap. Also removed, cleaned and replaced the lugs, its amazing how well they come up with a little work. Unfortunately 6 of them had to be replaced altogether, most wer from the bottom of the kick drum where they had been rubbing against the floor and the chrome had been completely removed.
SNV33304.jpg

I have on order a 70's tom post and the 1/4" arcing spurs which should arrive this week. Im looking forward to replacing the tom post, as you will see from the original image of the kit, someone had replaced the original rail consolette with a 'non-ludwig' tom post. Probably a good move at the time but 30 years later its left me with no option but to replace it with a ludwig version from the same era. I would have loved to fit the rail consolette but unfortunately this will leave me with a hole in the top of the drum. A no win situation really. :-(

I love restoration projects I think they are my favorite threads. I love to see old drums come back to life. I hope you play them frequently! they look great
mike

Im hoping to have them fully restored in time for a gig on the 29th November this year. The last time I played them live was over 10 years ago in the same venue!

I just need to order new t handles and claws, and a new front kick reso, smooth white remo ambassador should do the trick, with a 4 1/2" offset hole and new 1970's Ludwig logo, like the original.

Cant wait.....

Hi some more pics for you, I have now added a new set of arcing spurs and 70's Ludwig single tom holder. Finally starting to look like a kit again....
SNV33353.jpg

SNV33355.jpg

SNV33354.jpg

Back