Bumble Bee Bop Sound File

I would love to play with others but after a 32 year break and the fact that I'm 62, a lot of people aren't knocking on my door.
The town that I live in has a large retirement community within it.
"Heritage Village" it is called.
I tried several times to find older musicians from the village to play with. I just wanted to play with, and learn from people that were slightly older than I.
I put ads in their common areas and also on their net sites.
I only got one response from an excellent sax player. I played jazz with him and a few younger musicians for about a year. I learned a lot about jazz from playing with him.

Senior citizens have a lot to offer.
I hope so, I will be one soon! Just about 10 years to go for me!

The town that I live in has a large retirement community within it.
"Heritage Village" it is called.
I tried several times to find older musicians from the village to play with. I just wanted to play with, and learn from people that were slightly older than I.
I put ads in their common areas and also on their net sites.
I only got one response from an excellent sax player. I played jazz with him and a few younger musicians for about a year. I learned a lot about jazz from playing with him.

Senior citizens have a lot to offer.
I hope so, I will be one soon! Just about 10 years to go for me!

I'm getting close to that age, also. The band I play with is a 17pc Glenn Miller style band and every week they play/rehearse in a retirement center or nursing home (no pay). The clientele, that being music of their era more or less, really appreciate it. I know when we are tearing down afterward, we usually get staff coming up and complimenting us on our playing. It is a lot of fun to play for an appreciative audience.

I would love to play with others but after a 32 year break and the fact that I'm 62, a lot of people aren't knocking on my door. I never said I was a musician only that I love music and love playing the drums to music. I don't agree with your definition but it's all good.

mu·si·cian   [myoo-zish-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
a person who makes music a profession, esp. as a performer of music.
any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

Have you ever played in a band or gigged? There is nothing wrong with playing alone, but playing with others is so cool. I'm sure there are musicians in your town who would love coming to your house just to jam, put an add on craiglist, you'll be surprised.

I did when I was in my first year of college. Drove around in a Caddy Hearse for a band wagon. had a ball. Did college, did the Army, did married life etc etc etc and here I am.

So, you basically gave up playing with other musicians. I'm 54 and I gig 2-3 times a month, loading and unloading equipment, staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning and I love it. I want to play every weekend, but we are having a conflict with the lead singer and her boyfriend who happens to be the guitar player. I've been playing with bands since my early 30's and it's just become a part of my life that I can't let go of.

Wasn't just a matter of giving up playing, but other things came along, that pushed it way down on the priority list. I always had a pair of sticks and tapped on everything the entire 30 years but didn't own drums until 4 years ago, Part of it was choice, part of it was obligation to other things. But mean while back to the sound byte and photos of my refurbished drums.

!

I never quite understood how one can call themself a musician and not interact with other musicians. That's the whole point of playing music, to interact with others and to have people hear you play. My dad use to tell me when I was banging away in my bedroom. "what good is it if you play by yourself and no one hears you?" Although I do like practicing on my own, if I didn't play with other musicians and perform in public, I would feel very unfullfilled.
With everything else I do, I do quite a bit of music all by my lonesome, too. I actually think of myself more as a composer than anything else--compositions are what I care most about when it comes to music, both as a listener and as a musician. I spend WAY more time at home working on writing than I do working on anything else, and I regularly record things with me playing every part--I play keyboards and bass just as well as I play drums, and I've got a bunch of keyboards--workstations, synths, etc. and recording gear and software at home.

I do enjoy playing and collaborating with other musicians, but I could easily be satisfied just working on my own, too. Part of it is that one thing I definitely do NOT like about playing with other musicians is all of the logistical and manual labor hassles. I'd rather not have to haul gear around and set it up, I'd rather not have to figure out why the guitarist hasn't shown up yet, I'd rather not have to figure out what the heck happened to the guy with our money, etc.

I don't think there's anything wrong with interacting with music in different ways. As long as you're playing music somehow, you're a musician!

In most of the situations I've been in outside of the pop/rock world, age hasn't been an issue. It's only pop/rock bands that tend to be concerned with image in that way. I've played jazz, country, classical, showtunes, experimental music, etc. with people from 18 to 80 on the bandstand. As long as folks can play and have the right attitudes, it doesn't matter how old you are.

Awesome looking kit GD! Very nice job. The bass drum sounds good.

Thanks. This was a piecemeal job for sure.
Four drums from four different sellers.
Bass drum hoops, claws and T-bars from 3 different sellers.
13 inch hoops from a separate seller.
Floor tom leg holders for the bass drum conversion from a separate seller.
That's 9 different people selling parts plus MusiciansFriend for the Bass drum legs and pedal riser from Dunnett. Like grocery shopping for sure.

That's the whole point of playing music, to interact with others and to have people hear you play.

For you, cool. I'd argue the purpose of playing music is to create, regardless of who hears me or not. Diff. strokes, as has already been stated.

I've already given you my thoughts on this kit Grunter, but it's nice to finally hear it. Job well done.

For you, cool. I'd argue the purpose of playing music is to create, regardless of who hears me or not. Diff. strokes, as has already been stated.

I've already given you my thoughts on this kit Grunter, but it's nice to finally hear it. Job well done.

Thanks Sir................

Back