will i get noise complaints ?

Check into your local ordinances before you buy anything. Also talk to your neighbors before you buy anything. Coming across like you're just advising the neighborhood that you're going to purchase a drum kit is not quite the same as when you start playing it. Your neighbors might be in agreement with you until they actually hear how loud it is. Not all people work the same shifts. A lot of people have children or babies that it will affect. Sometimes you'll encounter people that have aged relatives living in their household. There are a lot of reasons why people will voice their complaints with police. It's better to be safe than sorry. I personally know a few drummers that had to part with their acoustical kits because of noise complaints.

You might fair our well, or not.

Dennis

I did what Mark_S did regarding the windows. I live in a very populated community in Southern CA where all the houses are crowded together.

Most of your noise will leak out of your windows. Treat them as if you were insulating from the cold. Same with the bedroom doors. I have sealed the edges with weather proofing rubber stripping, and mounted a threshold at the door bottom for a tighter seal. Seal your edges and door bottom (threshold) as if that was an outside door.

I too made friend with the neighbors. Nothing wrong with that. We had a barbecue and I brought some food over. You just want to be cool with them and let them know. We have noisy neighbors so everyone is at peace.

I personally use the Vic Firth Drum mutes. A complete set including the bass drum and cymbals. It is remarkable how much they keep things quiet. I will warn you though that your sticks will not bounce like a regular head. You will have to work harder on your bounces and paradiddles. That actually benefited me because on the weekends, the mutes come off and my bounces are so much easier. Like a workout during the week.

Without the drum mutes I play until 7pm. With the drum mutes, I play until 10 pm if I want. Things are a bit strict here in CA. Just keep things cool with the neighbors.
Oh - be extra nice to the neighbors on the side of your drumming room :)

I'd tell your neighbors your dad bought you a drum kit and he is strictly enforcing you to practice everyday. Put the blame on him.

Also practice different things... an 8 hour drums solo will really get to the neighbors.

If anything take up singing for a week and borrow a PA and sing really bad. They will be glad to hear your drums!!

I've had noise complaints from using a pedal practice pad in a hotel. Acoustic drums will get you noise complaints anywhere with other houses nearby.

I went to my "new" neighbors and introduced myself, let them know I play drums and gave them a piece of paper with my name and phone number. I asked them to call me if my drumming was bothering them, and let the phone ring!!! They never called! I played 2-3 hours everyday. This was my stainless steel kit which is one of the loudest kits made.
I must say I did have nice neighbors.

@ Boomstand, either that or you just never heard them calling! ;)

hi, so my dad wants me to get an electronic kit, roland td4. he will put the rest if i give him 800£ there 1.2k£

First things first.
DON'T PAY 1200 GBP FOR IT!!!

The Roland TD-4 is NOT WORTH 1200 QUID!!!
Let me repeat that, NOT WORTH 1200 FREAKIN' QUID

I bought the Roland TD-4 KX2 (mesh heads model) for less than 900 Euros.
The reason why it's so cheap is because it's a phased out model that will be replaced by Rolands new line of V-drums.

Look for a cheaper price for it.
i could order them right now, my card is looking at me. but my neighbours live behind me, infront of me, to the left of me, to the right of me..... the ones at the side are about 5 foot away. well thats the one at my side.

Second.
The V-drums aren't entirely silent!!! They will still make minor noise, like hitting books with drumsticks.
What you need is get yourself this:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?45889-Tennis-Ball-Impact-Noise-Isolating-Platform

Also mind you, with the TD4 you won't get a basspedal nor drumchair, you'll have to buy that seperately

Back