Help us chose a Mapex MyDentity Kit. Let's have some fun.

My honest opinion is that these kits are going to be a short lived phase. I say if you go too crazy in about 2 years you'll hate the color of the kit.

The only thing is see on these kits is powder coated lugs...not a hard process nor does it cost a lot to do. Chrome is a much more durable finish.

My honest opinion is that these kits are going to be a short lived phase.
That was/is my take, also. In another Mydentity thread (that was deleted), I went to wager $100 that this program wouldn't be around in 5 years. The person I directed to bet to wouldn't make the bet. And so far, can't find one person who's even ordered a kit.​

That was/is my take, also. In another Mydentity thread (that was deleted), I went to wager $100 that this program wouldn't be around in 5 years. The person I directed to bet to wouldn't make the bet. And so far, can't find one person who's even ordered a kit.​

Remember those cheap Ddrum kits that were black with red lugs and Blue with white lugs..good example of a kit that phased out quick!

I really wonder who decides if these kit ideas are great idea's? are they other drummers or someone with a degree in business and knows nothing about drums that works for the company and makes bad decisions.

It's sad that you are all so desperate to see it fail! People just hate new things, unless their favorite company comes up with it, then it is the greatest new invention. They are in the process of designing one for Glen Sobel to use with Alice Cooper. If you go to the Mapex Facebook site, or CSM you can talk to people that have them. Who would dare be proud to show it off at this place for fear of ridicule.

People just hate new things,

Nup. Just red or white hardware.......truely ghastly. Wouldn't matter who came up with it, I'd hate it with equal measure. Looks like a kit I'd find in Toys R Us.

Much prefer the winter camo and chrome that Shane ended up rolling with in the end.

We don't hate new things any more than you will never find anything wrong with what Mapex does. Most of these drums are ugly, will wear out their coolness in 2 years and Craigslist will have to have a category within a category to get rid of them. But only if enough foolish people buy them. To like them only because they are Mapex is just as silly.

Nup. Just red or white hardware.......truely ghastly. Wouldn't matter who came up with it, I'd hate it with equal measure. Looks like a kit I'd find in Toys R Us.

Much prefer the winter camo and chrome that Shane ended up rolling with in the end.

For you to start saying the lugs arent straight. Really. If they are crooked, you know where it was assembled. I assure you the lugs come straight.

For you to start saying the lugs arent straight. Really. If they are crooked, you know where it was assembled. I assure you the lugs come straight.

Now where did I make any comment on the lugs?

But yes, it's fair to say that if they were crooked, then I'd hate that as well.

We don't hate new things any more than you will never find anything wrong with what Mapex does. Most of these drums are ugly, will wear out their coolness in 2 years and Craigslist will have to have a category within a category to get rid of them. But only if enough foolish people buy them. To like them only because they are Mapex is just as silly.

Don't put words in my mouth there Grunts. There are lots of combos and Mapex stuff I wouldn't own. To put down the whole program because of a few combo choices like Harry is being, what the term he used on me, tunnel visioned. :)

Yes, they have crazy colors to choose from, but what could possibly be so bad about having some options available on a decent, affordable kit for once and not being stuck with the same old same old?

I wouldn't go with anything crazy, but I dig the HELL out of the fact that it's possible to get what I've long considered my "dream" color combo and sizes without having to buy a top of the line kit, or at the very least customizing after the fact.

I pretty much have my heart set on a Yamaha for my next kit, but this new line definitely got my attention (and I still haven't completely ruled it out yet).

I just ran this set up in birch through their online kit builder:

(2) 22x20 kicks
10, 12, 13 toms
16, 18 floor toms

MSRP came out to $2700. I wonder what the actual price would be?

What's killing you is that second bass drum. If you look at their MSRP list and then the actual price that these are selling for, the 6 piece shell pack (1 bass drum + and combination of 5 toms/snare) lists at like $1700 but sells for $1200. Adding in the second bass drum means it will probably sell for something like $2000.

I don't see it as a creative thing and I don't see it as particularly aesthetically pleasing. Each to their own but you wouldn't see me playing one of these in a million years. I don't know what it would say about your 'identity' if you owned something like this but a lack of taste might be amongst the character traits.

What's killing you is that second bass drum. If you look at their MSRP list and then the actual price that these are selling for, the 6 piece shell pack (1 bass drum + and combination of 5 toms/snare) lists at like $1700 but sells for $1200. Adding in the second bass drum means it will probably sell for something like $2000.

Hmm...all things considered, that's still not bad.

It's just something I noticed on the published photo/image. It was later kindly pointed out to me that the image was likely computer generated, something I hadn't thought of at the time of posting. That would probably account for the bottom hoop being (apparently) incorrectly aligned with the shell. If the "photo" was of an actual drum (as I thought when posting), then my observation had merit, as lug splay, incorrect positioning, & misaligned hoops, is indicative of sloppiness.

I'm not gunning for Mapex, far from it, I think the whole program idea is pretty cool for buyers who value Gaudy aesthetic choice at a sensible price point. No issues whatsoever with that.

I could have commented that the colour choice was hideous, & the whole affect is kinda cheap looking, but I refrained, as the colour combo is a personal choice thing, & that's the whole beauty of the program. It allows for individual expression outside of the true custom shop. Let's face it, no manufacturer in their right mind would produce a series in that colour combo, so the fact that someone can choose the most visually challenging combinations if they so wish, is a very good thing.

As for it's assembly location, I'm not sure why you saw fit to mention that. I was of the opinion that you regarded the location of manufacture/assembly as being a moot point.

Location is never a moot point when everyone on here brings up China. I agree. It is a moot point where something is made. It was a bit of a hypocritical shot, and I apologize for it.

I don't see it as a creative thing and I don't see it as particularly aesthetically pleasing. Each to their own but you wouldn't see me playing one of these in a million years. I don't know what it would say about your 'identity' if you owned something like this but a lack of taste might be amongst the character traits.

If your talking about this particular combo, but not the Mydentity program as a whole, then I agree with you.

Funny thing, I don't hate Mapex. Fact is, I love the Saturn series. I love what they do with the Walnut/Maple combo. And I don't hate the the Mydentity thing, either. It's the concept of the program, that I think will be a "flash in the pan". Here today, gone tomorrow. That's just an opinion. My opinion.​
If any other company came up with this idea, I would think the same thing. I own Ludwig, Gretsch, Yamaha, Premier, and RMV drums. I don't hate any drum company. They all have something to bring to the table. But, most all of them have come up with a bad idea, or two. I don't worship an brand. I simply buy the drums that make me happy.​

There are indeed some classy combination option in this program. They're not all hideous and gawdy. I'm sure much negative stuff came out in the early 1970s with the Ludwig Vistalite experiment. Maybe if Bonham wasn't associated with Vistalites and never took a liking to them they would be laughed at now? Who knows? I don't know of any other famous drummer in the 1970s who played them. Though I'm sure Harry and others may know. Experiments come and go. Some are successful and others aren't.

Maybe if Bonham wasn't associated with Vistalites and never took a liking to them they would be laughed at now?
Thing with the Vistalite concept, Zickos was the first company the put clear drums out. Ron Bushy played Zickos. Floyd Sneed played a Zickos kit, with Camco lugs on it. (It's at Pro Drum, in Hollywood). Billy Cobham played an acrylic Fibes kit. And not only Bonham, but Nick Mason and Joey Kramer played Ludwig acrylic. Even Pearl, ventured into acrylic's, back then.​
Experiments come and go. Some are successful and others aren't.
Indeed, don't have to look much farther than the North drums and the Staccato drums, to show working examples of ideas that weren't quite on the mark.​

Back