80's? Tama Imperialstar

Evilbagua

Silver Member
I got 7 tama drums and some various hardware pieces and a cheap yamaha snare off craigslist for 270$, and I finally got around to uploading photos of them. I usually play a 4 piece so I set it up kind of weird. I wanted acess to the 15 and the 18 more than anything else. I was told they were an 80's kit but I can't figure out the exact year. Two guys in my local pro drum shop, and me came to a conclusion since the toms are not single headed concert toms, it might be from 82-3? the sizes minus the kick matched the sizes in tamas 82-83 catalog. If anyone else knows the year please let me know. The drums minus a few small scratches are in great shape!

Sizes I only measured a few of these but the kick is definitly a 16 not a 14. I lined it up next to my gretsch 26x16 and Keller 28x16 and minus hoops they all match.

Diamater x depth
24x16 bass drum
18x16 floor
16x16 floor
15x13 rack tom
14x12 rack tom
13x11? rack tom (I didnt measure the depth on the 13 and 12 but i am pretty sure)
12x10? rack tom
Snares 13x7 Ludwig Black Magic w/ ec batter, 14x6 pork pie clear piglite acrylic w/ evans st batter
The heads in the pictures are pretty narly, and beaten up and some had tape on them but they all now have good condition ec2's I had as spares laying around and genera reso's, and sound amazing, and the kick has a brand new Aquarian Sk II.

cymbals
21 Z custom mega bell ride
20 Z custom projection crash
20 Sabian APX chinese
20 Z custom china
18 Z custom medium crash
16 Z custom Rock/Medium crashes as hi-hats
9.5 inch ZIlbell

Hardware-mostly dw9000 and dw9000 double pedal
Pics below everything always looks weird with the light in my super tiny practice spot so sorry about the weird glares and such.
100_0546.jpg

100_0547.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0553.jpg

100_0550.jpg

Those are probably 1984 ish or so....

Those are X-tras, and probably an inch shallower than the width, ...i.e.; 11x12, etc....

I'd need to see the badge and bass drum tom mount to date better the kit. Imperialstar in that finish we made from 1975 but the bass drum depth were 14".

After checking out, from the size it look like the kick and tom size were pick in different series (Imperialstar Standard and X-tras) and this option was offered in 1983.

Last edited:
I'd need to see the badge and bass drum tom mount to date better the kit. Imperialstar in that finish we made from 1975 but the bass drum depth were 14".

After checking out, from the size it look like the kick and tom size were pick in different series (Imperialstar Standard and X-tras) and this option was offered in 1983.

Thanks for the info I'll snag a pic of the tom mount and badge. :)

Back