Travis Barker

Re: Zildjian232

most people on this forum have logical opinions, and can back them up. others are very ignorant of what a good drummer sounds like. opinions like this come from little experience and incorrect knowledge, or just plain arrogance. If some one says "i can play all that new stuff." or "its not that hard at all." i dont buy it. if you posted a recording of you playing those songs and then compared it to barker's work on that album would it be comparable? Could you match his timing, feel, dynamics, etc.. ? if you could it would be impressive, if not they just may be a little more challenging than you thought.

Re: Zildjian232

TC_759 said:
most people on this forum have logical opinions, and can back them up. others are very ignorant of what a good drummer sounds like. opinions like this come from little experience and incorrect knowledge, or just plain arrogance. If some one says "i can play all that new stuff." or "its not that hard at all." i dont buy it. if you posted a recording of you playing those songs and then compared it to barker's work on that album would it be comparable? Could you match his timing, feel, dynamics, etc.. ? if you could it would be impressive, if not they just may be a little more challenging than you thought.

you may be right, but that is not why im responding, i am responding becasue those are some of the main reasons i like his music.. on all the recordings ive loved the way his drums sounded so much on so many different albums..

i even think the "new stuff" is more difficult then the "old stuff"!!!
If you listen to the last albums he made with blink or transplants etc. you'll see that it's something you don't hear very much in Pop/Punk/Rock!!! To me it was soemthing totaly new!!! And it's really not that easy to play!!!

that is subjective, because it depends on the individuals skill level.. its not the most insainly complicated stuff, its just fun, sounds good, and creative.. i like it alot

MyNameIsRyan said:
Look at Phil Rudd, he's a great drummer and never played anything too complicated. I think Travis is overrated because way too many non-drummers see him and think speed is the only factor that makes a drummer good. He is good, but not great.

My name is Lee

Just goin thru these posts, I have to completely agree with you...I didn't look up your profile & don't know your experience or age but you make a great point, and I have to assume you are a professional & serious drummer.

The most asked question is Q: So who is the greatest drummer in the world ??

My Answer is: Theres way too many to count...and way too many varieties of styles to distinguish and point out 1 specific drummer as being the best.

I ask..would "AC/DC" be as solid & groove oriented rock as they are if Neil Peart was their drummer ....and would "Rush" be as progressive and unique in their odd time playing with Phil Rudd's style of playing ?

No, both bands would be weaker in getting their musical point across, but it doesn't make 1 drummer better or worse than the other...I consider them both top of their field in music & drumming ability...

As far as Travis Barker...I respect that he has been noticed in this business, but as a drummer I believe the fact that his bands record sales where high, he has a ton of tattoo's and VH1 did a "Meet the Barkers" show is the only reason Travis gets the notoriety & exposure he gets...it has nothing to do with his unimpressive drumming....

Lee Mangano

while i see your point and its valid, i cant help but to ask myself.. "could neil pert play an ac/dc song with the same feel and groove" and i honestly thing he could.. not saying anything bad about Phil Rudd, but im pretty sure Neil could fill in fine.. maybe there is a better analogy out there that i couldnt question as easily..

i get your point tho ..

my question is for Lee Magano. what did you find unimpressive about his drumming? just wondering your opinion. -TC

Lee Mangano said:
My name is Lee

As far as Travis Barker...I respect that he has been noticed in this business, but as a drummer I believe the fact that his bands record sales where high, he has a ton of tattoo's and VH1 did a "Meet the Barkers" show is the only reason Travis gets the notoriety & exposure he gets...it has nothing to do with his unimpressive drumming....

Lee Mangano

Well, i think Travis is a pretty lucky guy because he came in the right band at the right point, and the people recognizede that he's not only a normal drummer, but that he's a good entertainer, too and that`s why he got his own tv show and of course he just gets his image by seeling many records and having a lot of tattos, but there you can see it is all about the image and i think blink would never be there where they are now without travis!!!
And of course it's your opinion that you think his drumming is unimpressive but i think that's what it's definitelty not because if it would be unimpressive he wouldn't have been that famous now because his style of playing the drums made him to what he's now!!

Travis Barker is not the greatest soloist of all time, but he certainly is one of the greatest drummers, if you listen to the actual music in the bands that he is in. (especialy Boxcar Racer) Since that music is popular, he is one of the biggest influences on other drummers of the new generation, including me. He is the ONLY drummer that incorporated that kind of complex style into this particular type of music, and definately deserves the recognition that he got. I am not saying he is the best drummer, I am saying...well...what I just said.

Just as a counter argument against what you said, what are your thoughts on Josh Freese? Again, Travis is a very good drummer and in terms of influence he is certainly one of the most influential out there. I suppose to your definition of 'greatness' Travis is a great drummer, but my definition of great is different.

jish freese is the man.
but anyway.

il be honest. i had a travis barker fase.
i grew out of it,
i had an anti travis barker frase
i grew out of that too
i dont listen to any of the bands hes been in anymore

but i realized something that everyone esle should to.

HE IS DOING WHAT HE LOVES! HE IS GETTING PAID MONEY FOR HIS PASSION! I ENVY HIM FOR THAT. NOT FOR HIS APPERANCES ON MTV, NOT FOR HIS FAME, BUT FOR LIVING THE DREAM MAN. I THINK WE SHOULD ALL REALIZED THIS.

Back