The 20" shallower bass drum, not as easy to find as I thought

Larry, get a 2012 Club Date SE kit with a 14x20 BD. problem solved. Don't you read any of Jon's posts?

I have a friend who wanted to rewrap a used set of vintage Slingerlands himself with period correct wrap. The Slingerland factory used to be located in our town so he swung by their repair department to see if they could help him out. They hooked him up with the exact wrap he was after. It may be a long shot, but you may consider contacting the repair crew at Slingerland.

Larry, get a 2012 Club Date SE kit with a 14x20 BD. problem solved. Don't you read any of Jon's posts?

Sir you've cut me to the quick! I try to read every single one of Jon's posts! I forgot! I'm really, really sorry.

Actually I don't want to pay a lot. I'm doing something different and going cheap for this one. I'm tired of myself so I'm doing the "opposite George" thing with this kit. Small, shallow, wrapped, inexpensive drums.

I have a friend who wanted to rewrap a used set of vintage Slingerlands himself with period correct wrap. The Slingerland factory used to be located in our town so he swung by their repair department to see if they could help him out. They hooked him up with the exact wrap he was after. It may be a long shot, but you may consider contacting the repair crew at Slingerland.

Slingerland repaircrew, on it. Lol you guys are a scream.

If I go the assembly route, come to think of it Del-Mar (sp?) is still supplying Ludwig AFAIK. It doesn't have to be period exact. As long as it's not too small and fine a pattern. I like the big honkin chunky pearls.

Actually I don't want to pay a lot. I'm doing something different and going cheap for this one. I'm tired of myself so I'm doing the "opposite George" thing with this kit. Small, shallow, wrapped, inexpensive drums.

Opposite George? Isn't that Tom Foolery's brother?

If you want to go cheap then the best thing would be to score an intact BD in the size you want off the Bay or CL. I see them pop up from time to time. If you like it, have it wrapped in your boring pearl. If you don't then sell it for what you paid.

Blammity, problem solved and you don't have to resort to extreme modification methods.

I know for a fact the new Gretsch Catalina Maples have a 20x16 kick, I was looking hard at those before I finally bought my Stage Customs. I've always liked the punch of a 20" kick.

I already pulled the trigger on the Yamaha Gigmaker. 400 bucks free shipping. If I like them, I'll be using them for the foreseeable future. It's 10, 12, 14 20 w/ a snare. You can't beat the price for a new set of drums.

I definitely have to sell some stuff now. Too many sets. My 66 Luds have another move in their future.

I already pulled the trigger on the Yamaha Gigmaker. 400 bucks free shipping. If I like them, I'll be using them for the foreseeable future. It's 10, 12, 14 20 w/ a snare. You can't beat the price for a new set of drums.

I definitely have to sell some stuff now. Too many sets. My 66 Luds have another move in their future.

Oh, I was going to say I still have the Premier ABK with 20" bass drum I'm looking to sell.

Downside is the rack toms are all power sizes. And there is that whole being on opposite coasts thing.

Thanks anyway Ian...yea power tom sizes would subtract one of the best reasons for the switch to a smaller bass drum, namely lower rack toms. A switch definitely flipped with me. I was unloading my 22 x 18 PDP from my van and it suddenly occurred to me how unnecessarily big it is for the sound I need to make.

Thanks anyway Ian...yea power tom sizes would subtract one of the best reasons for the switch to a smaller bass drum, namely lower rack toms.

Yes, thus why I decided to not keep it.

And why the last guy who was going to buy off me decided to not go through with the sale. lol

I've been really impressed with the sound of the Stage Custom 20x16 kick. Rest of the drums ain't bad either. If I had the spare cash and space I'd get a set of these for gigs where I don't want to have my expensive drums or where stage space is at a premium and the Safari kit isn't up to the volume needed.

Well you work fast.

Funny Larry, I read/hear lots about your drums/snare 'adventures'...but what cymbals do you play? I have no idea.

I don't want to gig 70's Luds, they're out. I don't like the hardware and the edges aren't even enough for my needs
I am curious about this comment. Are your 70's Lud's 3 ply or 6 ply? (either way they are great drums) Why didn't you just fix the edges and update to the New Atlas Mount based hardware options?
They will have to pry my 60's Ludwig kit from my cold dead hands. I love my 14"x20" 3 ply BD. As you know I am using New Atlas Mount hardware on my Lud's for high tom mounting and bass drum spurs. My bass drum is virgin. I put my toms to the left on a stand.
I am also curious to see what you have in mind for your 60's Lud's.

Last edited:
Well if money is no issue you could always have a Sonor SQ2 bass drum built for you the size, finish and shell you want it in!

I looked into this recently as also I wanted a shallower 20" bass drum, but spending over $2,000 on just a bass drum is a bit to steep for me.

I really don't understand why there are so few options for a bass drum in 20" and even fewer in 14-16" depths. Even Sonor only makes a 20x18 (outside of SQ2), and yet they offer an 18x14, a 22x15 and a 24x14 bass drum for Prolites. It makes no sense.

It's like drum makers are totally missing this market. It confuses me to no end.

I got a '68 (or is that '58.. you tell me) Slingerland 20 x 14 on ebay for $300 USD about a year ago. It's an ugly orphan, but it sounds great! Oddly it has no spurs leading be to believe it was a symphonic drum or something. I bought a pair of the DW hoop-clamp ones and they work great and are light.

Attachments

• 1276834_221936707964060_215810615_o.jpg
    1276834_221936707964060_215810615_o.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 877
  • 1167439_221936691297395_148086734_o.jpg
    1167439_221936691297395_148086734_o.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 722
Well you work fast.

Funny Larry, I read/hear lots about your drums/snare 'adventures'...but what cymbals do you play? I have no idea.

Mixed bag:
Ride: a 22" Masterworks "Custom" series,
18" Masterworks "Sebbar" series crash
17" Zildjain K Custom dark crash
19" Soultone ride I use mainly as a crash
10" Sabian AAX splash
Hi hats: Top: Masterworks "Vintage" series top hat, Bottom: Zildjain Mastersound bottom

I am curious about this comment. Are your 70's Lud's 3 ply or 6 ply? (either way they are great drums) Why didn't you just fix the edges and update to the New Atlas Mount based hardware options?
They will have to pry my 60's Ludwig kit from my cold dead hands. I love my 14"x20" 3 ply BD. As you know I am using New Atlas Mount hardware on my Lud's for high tom mounting and bass drum spurs. My bass drum is virgin. I put my toms to the left on a stand.
I am also curious to see what you have in mind for your 60's Lud's.

70's Luds are 1976 3 ply WMP w/ a 24" kick. I'l keep these, my only 24" kick drum.
60's Luds are 1966 3 ply champagne sparkle w/ 22" kick in beautiful shape. I'm selling these. I didn't really even want these, I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on them. I was looking for parts for the 76 Luds when I came across the 66's. The 66's led me to my cymbal collection so I am grateful that I jumped on them. But I never really played the drums all that much and I don't plan on playing them when I have 76 Luds w/ a 24 kick and the Gurus in the studio. I'm selling my DW's too. I'm done with deep kicks for a while.

Too much work to re-do edges. Plus I don't even have a 20" Ludwig kick. I'm going opposite of what I normally do this time out. Tell you what, the Sonor Players kit is really delivering. It's a gas to play because it's so small compared to what I'm used to. The friggin toms are warmer than my PDP's, Pearls and my DW's. My recorder verifies that.

I looked into this recently as also I wanted a shallower 20" bass drum, but spending over $2,000 on just a bass drum is a bit to steep for me.

I really don't understand why there are so few options for a bass drum in 20" and even fewer in 14-16" depths. Even Sonor only makes a 20x18 (outside of SQ2), and yet they offer an 18x14, a 22x15 and a 24x14 bass drum for Prolites. It makes no sense.

It's like drum makers are totally missing this market. It confuses me to no end.

I was a little surprised at the lack of choices for new 20" shallow drums as well. Trends change. In 5 years I betcha you'll see more choices.

60's Luds are 1966 3 ply champagne sparkle w/ 22" kick in beautiful shape. I'm selling these.

Most likely will be out of the range of what my cheapass will pay for but please keep me posted if and when you decide to sell.

If you've got an asking price in mind could you PM it to me?

Red, I'm selling the 66 Luds for 1200 USD plus shipping. I haven't listed it anywhere yet. The 12 and 13 racks have RIMS type isolation mounts I added. Heads are in great shape, 90% life left in them. Toms are clear G1's over clear G1's. Bass drum has an EMAD 1 and the reso is the period correct script Ludwig head. The only issue is the baseball bat muffling lever broke off on the floor tom. It still works, but you need pliers to turn it. I never used them anyway. That baseball style muffler never stays engaged that well anyway, they vibrate off to a point where they don't muffle much. All the toms have the original muffling units.

I'll throw a 67 Acro in the deal for an extra 200. (what I paid) Or I would sell that separate, same price.

Back