Jeff Beck w/ Vinnie (Full Crossroads 07 Set)

Oh man !

I love this stuff.

Thanks.

Awesome, thanks! I think this is his best lineup ever. Have to say too that Ronnie Scott's is one of my all time favorite concert DVD's. Just fantastic playing.

Awesome, thanks! I think this is his best lineup ever. Have to say too that Ronnie Scott's is one of my all time favorite concert DVD's. Just fantastic playing.

I agree! Did you notice that on the DVD, Beck's Bolero and Space Boogie (and maybe others) were re-recorded? I've always wanted to know the story of that...

Somehow never saw the full set! Vinnie's letting it hang out on this one for sure. Thanks for sharing.

I love what VC plays but honestly, I just don't enjoy watching him play. It always looks like he's in pain. Some of the facial expressions are not good. In contrast, Tal Wilkenfeld (bass) always seems to be smiling.

I love what VC plays but honestly, I just don't enjoy watching him play. It always looks like he's in pain. Some of the facial expressions are not good. In contrast, Tal Wilkenfeld (bass) always seems to be smiling.

Vinnie is doing a bit of adjusting here, its not exactly a relaxing gig, he'd never cop to it tho. He's got to keep one ear open for Beck who's time is suspect, especially if Beck listens to Vinnie and not the metronome in his head. As a drummer you want to keep it together and that means at times bending with the wind, so its more work, you can't totally relax.

Not a very nice thing to say, but Beck's time isn't on the same plane as his experience is the reality. Beck's not alone, there's others, I'll out one more...Santana. As an example these guys were/are always at the wheel, in a 'follow me' type situation, they never had to experience an 'under the gun' type sideman situation where a high level of timekeeping meant the difference between working, or watching TV.

So every time Beck doesn't land in the center of the one with Vinnie, that's a little stress knock. If Vinnie plays life guard he's off his game and not smiling. When the psychic air is clear on the time, when he's playing with musicians on his level, you'll see Vinnie smiling.

Vinnie isn't too good to be playing with Beck, he just has way better time.

I'm very respectful of Vinnie's playing and accomplishments, and I think that Tal Wilkenfeld is probably one of the most talented bassists to come along in a long while (plus her facial expressions and laughing are fun to watch). Thanks for sharing!

Jeff has always been very lyrical with his time. A "rubatto" sort of thing. I'd agree that in his current "stunts" playing style on harder songs, he gets into his own world and probably isn't with the rest of the band. Too caught up in making weird noises on the guitar. I wish he'd go back to just playing music like he does on softer things. But I'd also agree that Vinnie looks to be really bashing away and not being as much as a sideman as I've seen him on other things. I'm not talking about something like Faith Hill where he is really playing the parts and behind everyone, but things like recent times I've seen him with Robben Ford which is a looser gig where he can play pretty much what he wants. There's less of the straight snare and double bass rolls and more weaving with the essence of the song. Maybe Jeff asked him to just rock out, but as great as he is, this isn't the Vinnie I would show people to explain how great he is.

Jeff has always been very lyrical with his time. A "rubatto" sort of thing. I'd agree that in his current "stunts" playing style on harder songs, he gets into his own world and probably isn't with the rest of the band. Too caught up in making weird noises on the guitar. I wish he'd go back to just playing music like he does on softer things. But I'd also agree that Vinnie looks to be really bashing away and not being as much as a sideman as I've seen him on other things. I'm not talking about something like Faith Hill where he is really playing the parts and behind everyone, but things like recent times I've seen him with Robben Ford which is a looser gig where he can play pretty much what he wants. There's less of the straight snare and double bass rolls and more weaving with the essence of the song. Maybe Jeff asked him to just rock out, but as great as he is, this isn't the Vinnie I would show people to explain how great he is.

Have you heard them do "Because We've Ended as Lovers"? They played it in this set but for some reason it isn't in the video. Vinnie is slightly more subdued on it.

http://youtu.be/qMryWoRRqUc?t=40s

The reason I like this performance and this band so much is that their chemistry is so great. Vinnie and Tal are practically made for each other (check out the interaction on "Big Block"), Jeff does his "rubatto" thing (great description), and Jason bridges the gap between them with tasteful and interactive comping (and rips it apart when called to do so).

My comment regarding VC is not solely directed at this video. This is something I have noticed in other contexts. Peart is another guy that I like to listen to but don't like to watch. Bruford, OTOH, is a guy I can listen to and watch all day.

Have you heard them do "Because We've Ended as Lovers"? They played it in this set but for some reason it isn't in the video. Vinnie is slightly more subdued on it.

Yeah, I have the DVD. Check out Jing Chi Live and the tune MD Blues http://youtu.be/3DgfB7dExLY. I was at several of these shows at Yoshi's in Oakland. Including the show where Bob Malach guested with this incredible sax solo that they used on the release. Throughout the night Vinnie was dancing through the tunes and on this one he completely got into the "less is more" Miles thing while still sounding like him. The whole band did except for Haslip's solo which was over the top from beginning to end. But Vinnie's solo is perfect. Time subdivision with groove as only Vinnie can do while being so laid back it's like a whole different person from the Beck gigs. He also played a regular Ford gig during the era when Toss Panos was doing most of them. I got to hang out with Robben after the show (mutual friends who have also toured with him) and he mentioned Vinnie saying that he hadn't played with him in years but "there's that 'thing' again". He was having a great time.

I guess that's the art of Vinnie, being a chameleon and giving the artist what they need.

The Crossroad set was much more enjoyable to watch and listen than the Ronnie Scott gig, very inspired, Tal is wonderful, that bass line in Stratus is one of my fav of all time.

Vinnie was less overplaying in Crossroad than he did at Ronnie's which makes the performance sounds much better, I didn't like the Ronnie Scott gig because of Vinnie killing the tunes with far too much overplaying.

Vinnie is doing a bit of adjusting here, its not exactly a relaxing gig, he'd never cop to it tho. He's got to keep one ear open for Beck who's time is suspect, especially if Beck listens to Vinnie and not the metronome in his head. As a drummer you want to keep it together and that means at times bending with the wind, so its more work, you can't totally relax.

Not a very nice thing to say, but Beck's time isn't on the same plane as his experience is the reality. Beck's not alone, there's others, I'll out one more...Santana. As an example these guys were/are always at the wheel, in a 'follow me' type situation, they never had to experience an 'under the gun' type sideman situation where a high level of timekeeping meant the difference between working, or watching TV.

So every time Beck doesn't land in the center of the one with Vinnie, that's a little stress knock. If Vinnie plays life guard he's off his game and not smiling. When the psychic air is clear on the time, when he's playing with musicians on his level, you'll see Vinnie smiling.

Vinnie isn't too good to be playing with Beck, he just has way better time.
This is a bunch of weeds and seeds bull****. There was plenty of Vinnie smiling with the same band at Ronnie Scott's.

Tal & that guitar are a perfect fit :)

I'm just happy there's still a place for music like this. I, & everyone else, can pick it apart if we so choose, but it is what it is, & all the more glorious for it!

This is a bunch of weeds and seeds bull****. There was plenty of Vinnie smiling with the same band at Ronnie Scott's.

Beck was more 'on' at Ronnie Scott's, like you'd expect someone to be who's played the same songs over and over for 40+ years.

Les Ismore;1270484Not a very nice thing to say said:
Jeff said Vinnie was the best drummer he'd ever played with.. but as a 'melodic instrument' the guitar leads the band. It's up to Vinnie to support the lead vocalist.. and Beck or Santana's timing and expression is what makes the whole thing work.. If they were concerned with perfect timing (not) then they could have just hired a drum machine. Nobody's being 'outed' here.. they are masters of their craft.

Back