Yamaha 18" Bass Drum - 4 and 5 piece kit

wildbill

Platinum Member
When I joined this forum about a year ago, I also joined the bop kit craze that was going on. I thought I'd give it a try even though I've always been a 5 piece guy.

I discovered I really like using an 18" kick drum, and that it is possible to play on 4 pieces instead of 5 - ha ha.

Even though I'll probably leave it as a 4 pc., I wanted to get it to where I could use it as a 5 pc. too with the smaller kick.

I tried various mis-matched solutions, but I think I've got it down to where it'll fly. Changed bass head, add riser, add matching snare, add 10" tom and mount arm - 4 pc. bop kit to 5 pc. 18" bass drum kit transformation.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm really liking it.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't that be anyone's cup of tea? That's great - you can go four or five pieces. The drums themselves are great. Have you put up any videos of you playing them yet?

Non-traditional.

The 4 pc. has a more traditional bop/jazz layout, look and feel.

The 5 pc. with the 18" kick has more of an oddball mini rock type look and feel.

I like playing it as a 5 pc.more, but it looks better as a 4 piece.

No videos of me playing - no video camera. But those are more for younger people anyways, aren't they - ha ha.

Last edited:
Definitely my cup 'o tea. Love my 18" bass drum on my "bop kit". I use mine for rock/pop.

Attachments

• IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,076
Definitely my up of tea as well, I'm doing the exact same thing with my DW Jazz kit , bop sizes. 10" on the way. 4 or 5 piece centered around an 18" kick.

Really nice kit by the way. Love everything about it.

Neal

I added a 10" tom to my Catalina Club Jazz kit, making it into a 5 piece mini rocker. The 18" bass sounds great and it's so easy to transport.
Love it!

Back