Which cymbals are better?

Funnyman

After sticking with my cymbals for about eight years, it's time to get new ones. Which would you suggest for the following?

Hi-Hat:
Paiste or Zildijan

Crash:
Paiste or Sabian?

China:
Paiste or Zildijan or Sabian?

uh, well... hmmm. what are your current cymbals? what dont you like about them? is it a different sound you are after, a different set up or just a change for creativity's sake? so many questions to ask before a change, if your drum kit was a picture, the cymbals would be the color...

uh, well... hmmm. what are your current cymbals? what dont you like about them? is it a different sound you are after, a different set up or just a change for creativity's sake? so many questions to ask before a change, if your drum kit was a picture, the cymbals would be the color...

Right now I'm using Pulse, but the sound gets old, and I play progressive rock, metal and blues rock (Rush, Tool, and Joe Bonamassa type stuff) Also wanting to bring a persons attention to the drums changing from the hat to a cymbal and having the crash and china in your face thrash type sound.

It really depends on what your cmparing. What type of sabian cymbal: b8, b8 pro, hhx, aax, hh
or paiste cymbals: 2002, rude, signature
or zildjian: a custom, a , k , k hybrid
Theres a lot of different choices

A "Which is better?" thread.

You have to go out and sample pies until you hear what you like!

You have been playing for at least 8 years.
You should have developed an ear for what you like by now.
I'm sure that you have.

There is no true answer to your question.

Listen to the different cymbals that are within your budget.
Take your time.

The better cymbal is the one that you like.

These guy are right, lots of choices....... Be sure you consider the rooms you play..
Small, medium, or micophoned up.. Number one thing in you cymbals.....BE HAPPY,
Don't buy any crap.... If you can't buy something you like wait... Do Some Shopping, and find what makes you happy!
Peace,Jeremy

Dude, this is like asking what shoes are best for you. You have to go try them on yourself. I personally like Skechers but maybe your feet are shaped differently from mine and Skechers don't feel so good to you, plus you don't want the sporty look. Get the idea?

Start off with the cymbals you're going to play most - the hi-hats. Go find a set of hats that sounds good. If you can buy them used for cheaper, bonus. Same for the ride. Do you want dry and pingy or light, washy and crashable? Big bell, small bell, no bell?

Then find your crashes. Either buy them at the same time or each time you buy a crash, take your other crashes along so that you can be sure they blend well.

Chinas are the most subjective of all. Some want a brash, metallic gong, others want pure trash and white noise. Shop around.

Least of your concerns should be brands. The ink on the cymbals should mean a lot less to you than the sound coming off them. If you buy Sabian hats, Paiste crashes, and a Zildjian ride, the drum police are probably not coming to your house to arrest you....

Zildjian are always better.

No cymbal brand is "always better" than any other cymbal. Don't limit yourself by being brand loyal. Close your eyes, use your ears. Play what sounds good.

However, I can't imagine Pulse cymbals sounding very good. Especially after 8 years of play. I'm surprised they still make a sound.

I was being sarcastic to another Best question on cymbals in the General Discussion Section

I was being sarcastic to another Best question on cymbals in the General Discussion Section
There seems to be a lot of members lately that don't place their threads in the proper section.

If you do place your thread in the wrong section you can move it yourself.
I have made this mistake a few times and I have moved my thread as soon as I realized that I had posted wrong.

haha! just like this year there's nothin cooler than these gretsch drums on your avatar!!

That is a rather personal opinion. But I must admit I do love playing the Paragon Cymbals from Sabian. Sounds kinda funny but as a big Neil Peart fan myself these cymbals really do sound great and if you ever get a chance to play on them you will hear what I mean. I play country/rock but for pure versatility I also play Jazz and heavy rock and I can genuinely say these cymbals sound fantastic especially the 13 inch hats and the 22 inch ride and the 19 inch china sounds really nice as well. I play only these for now after playing with Paiste/ Zildjian and regular Sabians I think I finally found the ones I truly love and enjoy and more importantly the people I play out for also enjoy them as much as I do I get many compliments to the sound of the cymbals. I currently use 13inch hats, 8 inch splash, (2) 16 inch crash, 18inch crash, 20 inch crash, 19 inch china, 22 inch ride all Paragon. I payed a little more for them but the quality was incredible.

When I bought my 2 crash cymbals last year I committed to "quality sound". I was ONLY going to listen to Zildjians. That's what I own and have played my whole drumming career. I took my sticks to the store and started hitting all of them over and over. I Played at least 50 cymbals, maybe more. I narrowed them down to compliment what I currently have: 20" A Rock Crash and 20" A Medium Crash. I got an 18" K Hybrid and a 16" K Hybrid. Those pups are nice! Take your sticks and just go listen.

8 years is more than enough time to have figured out that there is no such thing as "which is better" for every application, my friend.

I'll echo the call to get out amongst it and hit everything you can get your hands on. Let your ears tell you. Play what you like.....but more importantly, like what you play.

After all that, if you're still unsure, then listen to Gruntersdad......sorry Hank. :)

Depends on sound and budget.

Want something aggressive and mid-priced? Paiste Alpha.

High-end bright cymbals? Sabian AA/AAX.

Jazzy dark high-end cymbals? Zildjian K's.

Don't forget Meinl either, they have some NASTY awesome rides and crashes.

After sticking with my cymbals for about eight years, it's time to get new ones. Which would you suggest for the following?

Hi-Hat:
Paiste or Zildijan

Crash:
Paiste or Sabian?

China:
Paiste or Zildijan or Sabian?

Just 8 years? I've had my current set for almost 20 years now. Are yours broken? Are you sure you coaxed every sound you could ever get out of them? ;)

Just 8 years? I've had my current set for almost 20 years now. Are yours broken? Are you sure you coaxed every sound you could ever get out of them? ;)

Well according to one of his above posts he's been playing PULSE cymbals for 8 years. If you have committed yourself to something for 8 years I think that he should get better cymbals than the $40 cymbals he has now

Back