Recommendation for a Woody, Sensitive Snare?

RobertM

Platinum Member
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a snare with the following characteristics?:

- woody, darker sound
- dry
- very good sensitivity

I've looked at and liked a couple of Dunnett and Unix mahogany snares, and some of the Pork Pie P'lux walnut and mahogany snares sound okay. Even some of the newer, conical Castle snares sounded nice.

I'd like to keep the price under $1K.

Thanks for any recommendations you may have!

What's the application? Symphonic, acoustic music, studio etc...
We'd be able to give better recommendations knowing your intended use.

For a general answer I would say walnut from Longo drum co.
Tulip is somewhat dark and breathy. N&C is making them these days. Both of these snare drum companies make them for under $1K

Our resident Guru of wood species will have some good insight for you I'm sure.

Last edited:
Jeremy: Thanks for that reminder about the intended use!

Basically, it would be a snare for jazz and more acoustic settings.

I'll re-check the Tulip wood idea: I recall N&C making those Tulip snares and kind of liking the sound back when I first heard them. I'll look at Longo too. Thanks!

Jeremy: I checked out the Longo snares--pretty nice. I also kind of liked the Canopus walnut solid shell. Have you heard or played that one?

The Tulip N&C was sound.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a snare with the following characteristics?:

- woody, darker sound
- dry
- very good sensitivity
I love it when someone has a clear idea of the characteristics required. It make the job of advising accurately much more simple. Let's break down your requirements into features:

- woody, darker sound Ok, this is partly a construction thing, & partly a wood species thing. The "woody sound" construction element is based on finding something with a dominant fundamental. A solid shell will deliver that strong fundamental more effectively than a ply shell, so long as it's not smothered by hardware. The "darker sound" element is covered by wood species, but bear in mind that a degree of brightness/cut will be needed to aid articulation/sensitivity. This is where sepele will score over true mahogany, tigerwood will score over walnut, etc. Mahogany & walnut are great dark choices though. if I was given a completely free choice in this, I'd shoot for zebrano. It has a unique structure of super hard strands running through a bed of softer wood that brings a wonderful combination to the party.

- Dry This is down to overtone control. Again, partly in the wood species choice, but very much a constructional thing. Bearing edge selection, venting, & overall shell concept requiring careful balancing, especially with consideration to your last requirement -----

- Very good sensitivity Absolutely a shell construction/bearing edge/venting/snare bed/wire choice thing. In the sensitivity/articulation game, this is where stave wins hands down. It's inherently shorter voice, coupled to it's direct vertical vibration path to the resonant edge, really delivers here. Again, bearing edges need to work with this to bring out the best in the instrument by driving vibrations from the batter head into the shell as much as possible. Something like a truncated part round over with a generous peak radii allied to a similar resonant edge but with sharp radii will get you there.

I hope these features give you some food for thought.

If you can find one, one of the parallel action Sonorlite snares fits the bill, even at 7.25in deep.

Hugely sensitive (mine gets used for orchestral work) with a gorgeous woody tone and works played quietly just as well as loudly.

Left field choice, I know but it fits the bill and they're starting to appreciate in value now (mine has roughly doubled in 5yrs). You should just about get one under $1k.

Andy: Thanks for your awesome, learned insight--I was hoping you'd share some thoughts.

Funny you mentioned Zebrano (Zebrawood, right?), because this is one snare sound I've heard (both in ply and solid forms) and really liked for its dry, sensitive sound.

Following your recommendations, then, do you think the following would achieve what I'm desiring in my head?:

- Zebrawood stave shell
- 3/8" (9.5 mm thickness) for mix of thickness and resonance
- maybe rounded 45 edges on top (to help mute some overtones)
- sharp 45 edges on bottom (to maximize sensitivity)
- 5.5x14 size

I think the answer maybe "no" on this one, but could Guru offer a snare like this for $1K or less (US dollars)?

Thomson: Thanks for the Sonorlite recommendation. I agree with you about how good some of those old German Sonor snares sound: I've heard Jack DeJohnette use some of those in the past, and even the 7.25x14 ones have amazing woody tone, sensitivity, and crack. I suppose I could always inquire via the SQ2 program, but they do not offer that many different wood options.

- woody, darker sound Ok, this is partly a construction thing, & partly a wood species thing. The "woody sound" construction element is based on finding something with a dominant fundamental. A solid shell will deliver that strong fundamental more effectively than a ply shell, so long as it's not smothered by hardware. The "darker sound" element is covered by wood species, but bear in mind that a degree of brightness/cut will be needed to aid articulation/sensitivity. This is where sepele will score over true mahogany, tigerwood will score over walnut, etc. Mahogany & walnut are great dark choices though. if I was given a completely free choice in this, I'd shoot for zebrano. It has a unique structure of super hard strands running through a bed of softer wood that brings a wonderful combination to the party.

Andy: What is your assessment of using solid-shell Cocobolo? If proper edges were cut for my sound preferences, as you note in your first post, would a Cocobolo steam bent shell work for the dark/sensitive/woody vibe I'm looking for?

Andy: What is your assessment of using solid-shell Cocobolo? If proper edges were cut for my sound preferences, as you note in your first post, would a Cocobolo steam bent shell work for the dark/sensitive/woody vibe I'm looking for?
Cocobolo is a superb tone wood, but has a complexed range of mid overtones that work against your requirement for "dark". Additionally, steam bent, unless smothered by hardware, are supremely open sounding. Again, superb for a highly expressive instrument, but doesn't aid articulation.

Following your recommendations, then, do you think the following would achieve what I'm desiring in my head?:

- Zebrawood stave shell
- 3/8" (9.5 mm thickness) for mix of thickness and resonance
- maybe rounded 45 edges on top (to help mute some overtones)
- sharp 45 edges on bottom (to maximize sensitivity)
- 5.5x14 size
I wouldn't use 45 degree edges, only a 45 degree outer cut. Double or single 45 degree edges don't engage the head sufficiently with the shell.

I think the answer maybe "no" on this one, but could Guru offer a snare like this for $1K or less (US dollars)?
Yes, in the new Tour series, but shipping will likely tip it just over the $1K mark :(

If you can find one, one of the parallel action Sonorlite snares fits the bill, even at 7.25in deep.

Hugely sensitive (mine gets used for orchestral work) with a gorgeous woody tone and works played quietly just as well as loudly.
I agree. One of my favourite snares on the sensitive end of the spectrum. IMHO the snare mechanism contributing to it's wire sensitive performance.

My 65 Slingerland single ply Artist. That is a great snare that really puts out a warm wonderful woody sound that I can't seem to get enough of.

RobertM, you mentioned checking out Dunnett - did you check out the George Way Tradition snares that Ron puts out? Seems to fit the bill based on what you're looking for.

I've got my eye on the walnut 6.5... You can find a video of it through Memphis Drum Shop to have a listen. Drum is sold, but video is still up (as of the other day).

Peace.

Back