After a new set of drums. What gives the best bang for your buck?

I'm an intermediate player and have been playing on a lifeless no-name kit for 4 years. I've pretty much got it to sound the best it's ever going to sound through changing of heads and tuning the hell out of it etc... but I've hit a wall. It's not going to get much better and my ears aren't liking what they're hearing anymore. I want something better.

So, what's a brand or certain model to be looking out for? I'm going to try and buy 2nd hand as I'm a student and ain't got too many pennies to be blowing on brand new hardware.

I don't necessarily need a snare drum though no biggie if I can get one. Always better to have more right :p, and definitely don't need cymbals

Any advice?

Cheers ^-^

Buy used, a deffinite. I'd suggest a kit that is easy to add onto. You don't need a 6 piece kit, right off the bat. Take the snare out of the equation, you can find a pro-level 3 of 4 piece kit for under $1K. I've seen Yamaha Recording Customs, Maple Customs, and Oak all sell for under $1K. DW, used Ludwig Classics, Gretsch, Tama, Pearl, Mapex, etc. Watch eBay. Keep an eye out on Craigs List.

Maybe a step down from such high end kits. I'm not gigging or anything, I just need something to practice on and occassionally record for demos.

Also, I'm from the UK and Craig's list is pretty much a non entity here. Are there any alternatives?

Unfortunately this might be a bit of a biased post, but a small size Mapex Saturn kit gives you incredible value and sound for your dollar. Just a thought, and obviously I speak from experience. Especially if you can get one used.

Budget is anywhere between £300 and £800. Hardware as in cymbal mounts, pedals, etc.? Not really. I have amounted those over the years :p

So you need only the bass and toms, and maybe a snare??
I would try to get a (used) Gretsch Catalina Maple.
It's a great set, and not very expensive.

Bram

That's totally within my budget. I'll take a look at reviews etc. and see if I can get around to playing a set sometime. Cheers for the recommendation.

It's too bad British commercial infrastructure doesn't favour the US->UK exchange rate or I could get some kits for a bargain :-(

A Four piece Ludwig Classic Maple goes for about £2,000 here, new. That's about $3,200.

My suggestions: Mapex Meridian or Gretsch Renown. The Renowns are being blown-out here by Musician's Friend for $899, and there may be similar deals over on your side of the pond. :)

Mapex Meridian Maple....

it's all about the details on these sweet kits, check them out in person and i think you'll be impressed, good hunting!

"Best bang for your buck?"

Evenstevens280, consider bying a pro quality kit rather than an intermediate kit. I think that you maximize your investment by going pro because you bypass purchasing an intermediate kit. I don't know of any intermediate drummer who will be satisfied with an intermediate kit for more than a few years; the drum equipment and retail companies have dedicated marketing and sales departments working to move you to a pro quality kit.

You can buy a pro quality kit, piece by piece over multiple years according to your budget. Assuming that you will eventually purchase a pro quality kit, you will avoid the cash outlay for an intermediate kit. Develop a purchasing strategy and schedule to buy a pro quality kit. For example:
Phase 1 (year 1): used 3 piece pro shell kit (excellent condition)
Phase 2 (year 2): used pro snare (you will use this drum the most; excellent condition)
Phase 3 (year 3): pro pedal (buy new)
Phase 4 (year 3 to 5+): pro cymbals
Phase 5 (year 3 to 5+): hardware, cases, additional drums, mics, etc.)

With this approach, you will enjoy the immediate benefit of playing pro quality equipment and pay the least cost. I own pro quality drums and percussion and every time I play them, I am very happy and fulfilled; this may happen to you too. You may also be more motivated to play and practice on a pro quality kit which can contribute to your musical growth and development in playing drums.

Best wishes,

GJS

The only problem is that buying, even a small, pro kit costs like £1,000 upwards and that's money I won't just *have* for at least another 3 years

Last edited:
Thats why buying a second hand pro kit is a must really if you want to get the best bang for your buck. Have a shoot around on ebay especially.

Although saying that I've seen a couple of brand new pro kits that sat gathering dust in shops for a few years go for pence. I saw a 2004-2005 spec Mapex Saturn fusion shell pack go for £500 a couple of a weeks ago, and a brand new couple year old Tama Starclassic 3 piece for about £750 about a year ago.

also is it just the drums you want for your budget? If you are wanting things like cymbals and hardware included then you should aim for a semi-pro kit as that will leave you money to play with. If not and you will buy these things later, or already have them then definately go for a pro level kit second hand. Just remember that things like tom arms may not fit a new kit. Mapex tom holders do fit DDrum but dont fit Tama, etc.

Massively recommend anything by Mapex. I have a Mapex Pro-M which are fantastic for the price but if you can get a Saturn then it will blow you away - I shall be heading down my local music shop in a few weeks to put a deposit down on one after playing one at drumfest :D

If I see anything I'll post it on here. Have a look around for some Mapex hi-hat stands. I know I'm going to sound like a massive Mapex fanboy having an avatar like I do, and constantly whoring mapex gear all over the boards but its all really top notch stuff :)

You can pick up a brand new Mapex 300 series hi-hat stand for about 45 quid at some places but if you can stretch to the 700 series or better yet, 900 series stands then they'll serve you for ages. I have a Mapex 950 hi-hat stand and its just as smooth as my mates Pearl eliminator hi-hat stand in my opinion!

I would definitely look for used pro level kit on ebay and take your time...get out and play a few kits before you purchase and then go after them hard on the 2nd hand market. you can get great deals out there now, you just have to be patient and go for it.

Best of Luck

The only problem is that buying, even a small, pro kit costs like £1,000 upwards and that's money I won't just *have* for at least another 3 years

i have to join in with the others, jump the intermediate kit. you will benefit from it in the long run.
I just got my new Yamaha Maple Custom ABS. But, even tho i still scan the market for great value kits. especially the UK ebay scene since i live in sweden and we'r both part of the european union its easier to buy from the UK rather then US.

And I'we seen some marvelous drums for under your 800:-
just get a realy nice 3 piece like a premier genista, yamaha maple custom, Sonor not to be forgotten (check german ebay) use google to translate if your having trouble.
othervise a used Gretsch Renown are going realy cheep at least here in sweden.

just dont be to quick. with a little patience you will strike a great deal!

Back