What snare drum to buy?

flarber

Hi,

I have been drumming for many years, but have always had cheap, basic snare drums. I've decided it's time to treat myself to a lovely new snare, of which I'm willing to blow anything up to £300 ($450), but not necessarily all of it. I am currently using a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau thing which came with the kit and is sounding more and more like a cardboard box every day.

With so many drums on the market, I don't really know where to start. I am going to play a few at some local shops this weekend, but could really do with some advice about which brands and models to seek out or avoid. I am currently gigging with a 60's cover band, so a drum that sounds reminiscent of the era would be good, but not essential. What I really want is a responsive, warm and beautiful sounding snare that I can fall in love with.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

My first recommendation would be for you to pick up a Ludwig Supraphonic - if you are looking for the sound of 60's - that drum will get you there. It's a chrome over seamless spun aluminum shell. I have a 1968 Supra and it has been my "go to" snare drum for just about everything for the last 10 years.

You could do either the LM400 or 402 model - (the 400 is 5 inches deep while the 402 is 6.5 inches deep.

Alternatively - if you want something with a slightly darker less dry sound - you could go for a Ludwig Black Beauty - basically the same drum as the Supra - but with a brass shell instead of aluminum.

If you look on eBay - you can find tons of both newer used and vintage Supra's and Black Beauties for very reasonable prices.

Here is what the Supra looks like:
vintage-ludwig-drums-supraphonic-1966.jpg

Ludwig is an obvious choice I agree.

Check out www.GrahamRusselldrums.com in the UK for second hand bargains and great advice.

You would still need to try some. Talk with an experienced bloke at the store and let him explain the types of sounds you get from each snare so you can narrow it down a bit.

Davo

I would suggest a Pearl free floating snare, they come in 3 sizes I use the biggest 14 x 6.5. Its a great snare and you can change shells for different sounds. I have 3 shells for mine Brass, maple and walnut stave that I believe sounds as good as any snare out there costing twice as much. Changing shells is as easy as changing heads, you can get real good deals on Ebay for a used one but new its in your range and you may be able to get an extra shell too.

Doesn't sound like you're on a budget, but I wholeheartedly recommend the Ludwig Acrolite. In either 5x14 or 6.5x14, these drums rock. They only have 8-lugs, but I tell you, I've A-B'd my 5x14 Acro next to my 1973 5x14 Supraphonic, with the exact same heads and snares and the difference is negligible. The price difference is great.

Both the Acro and the Supras should be on your list. They also have Black Beauties and various brass drums, but those might be too expensive, and in reality, I've never noticed a big difference, especially when playing with a band.

However, all the major drum manufacturers offer very good mid- to high-end snares too. Yamaha is one of them. People here have been raving about the Mapex Black Panther series. Tama's Stewart Copeland model is a great brass all-around drum too. I personally own and use a Tama Mastecraft 6.5x14 steel monster from 1982.

But, and this could be sacrilege, have you tried replacing the heads and snares on your current snare? Your snare's shell and hardware and pretty inert, the only things getting beat up are the heads (yes, both of 'em!) and snares. Maybe with some proper tuning you can get it to sound the way you want. Then you could save your money for important things - like food or rent!

My first recommendation would be for you to pick up a Ludwig Supraphonic-

You could do either the LM400 or 402 model - (the 400 is 5 inches deep while the 402 is 6.5 inches deep.

Alternatively - if you want something with a slightly darker less dry sound - you could go for a Ludwig Black Beauty

+1, +1, +1.

Thanks for all the great advice...

I really like the look of the new Mapex Black Panther Series, although it might push me a bit too far price wise.

I think I have my heart set on a 'new' drum but I do understand that this is not always the wisest choice for the sound I am trying to achieve.

Ludwig Supra's were wildly popular in the '60s (and still are) so you really can't go wrong with one for that iconic sound. Nice thing about them is that there's no significant difference between the new ones and the old ones since Ludwig has been too lazy (or too smart) to change the design.

I have a 6.5 x 14 Supra and it's just a joy to play on.

Back