Worth $75.00

rustyfingers

Can you guys tell which Pearl set this is and are they worth $75.00 ?

Thanks,
Dennis

Attachments

• pearlfb.jpg
    pearlfb.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 332
My first guess would be a forum series kit. The badges on the forum are more rounded these days but I believe they used to be more square like the exports from back in the day.

I think $75 is a decent price. I've seen much worse on craigslist for double that price. To get a whole kit and some brass for the cost of a set of new heads seems fine by me.

I was thinking Forum or Roadshow. 9-Ply-Poplar.

If that's true, the short of it is:

Yes, it is worth $75. That's about all it's worth. They make a decent "My first Kit" and are not horrible if paired with good cymbals and a nice sounding snare. They make a good secondary/B-Kit once you've upgraded to a real set. I like kits like these so that I can try my hand at veneer and other crafting experiments. They lower the penalty for failure ;-)

The down side is that they have a fairly limited tuning range, and that tends so be on the high side, explaining the gigantic 12/13/16 toms as a means of compensating.

If you're looking for a first kit or a practice kit that one will do. Yes, it's worth 75.00.

Those who've previously read this tale from me can ignore this now-familiar post...

My kid's school has a couple of Pearl Forum kits. They get moved from one part of the school to the other fairly regularly. Five days a week they have kids beating the snot out of them. The kits have the original 'Pearl' heads on them. And they sound fine. They don't sound earth shatteringly good, but they sound like drums.

When I went looking for a kit to replace my stencil kit, I went looking for Pearl Forums. I got lucky and found some Exports that were a good deal, but that's another story.

Hard to see how you can go wrong with this kit for $75.

Thanks for the input everyone!! I'm going to return the PDP Centerstage kit and maybe pick these up. I'm finding all kinds of sets on FaceBook of all places.

Thanks again,
Dennis

Thanks for the input everyone!! I'm going to return the PDP Centerstage kit and maybe pick these up. I'm finding all kinds of sets on FaceBook of all places.

I have this theory that there are more used poplar-beginner-kits and ZBT/B8s out there than there are drummers currently drumming. You find them unused in basements and garages and attics and whatnot. It's almost ecologically, or rather "econologically" irresponsible for someone to buy one of these starter-sets "new" ;-)

Congrats on the new/used kit.

I have this theory that there are more used poplar-beginner-kits and ZBT/B8s out there than there are drummers currently drumming. You find them unused in basements and garages and attics and whatnot. It's almost ecologically, or rather "econologically" irresponsible for someone to buy one of these starter-sets "new" ;-)

Congrats on the new/used kit.

Dang man I'm seeing these all over the place. $75 w/ a DW 9000 pedal.

Attachments

• pm2.jpg
    pm2.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 192
  • pm1.jpg
    pm1.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 195
I thought we had a lot of cheap drums around here, but I think you've got us beat.

I'd get that kit for the pedal and re-sell the drums.
The problem with cheap drums is that you could start snatching them up and end up with a house full of them that don't get used.

If you can afford to step it up a notch or two, you might be better off in the long run.

Dang man I'm seeing these all over the place. $75 w/ a DW 9000 pedal.

That Premier appears to be in rough shape. Floor to is upside-down and looks to be missing the (top?) head, hoop, and rods.

Might be the pics/lighting.

That's a fairly expensive pedal....

Back