deleted

Thanks, that's about as far as I got too... That must have been the final collection, just before they discontinued all of them.. It's the older ones that mainly interest me: the early Peter Erskine (SD-014) and Manu Katche (SD-415MK), the Sonny Emory, the Vinnie Colaiuta piccolo... I wonder what else was there, or were there only a few in the early to mid '90s?

Dutch

The first signature snare was the 14X4 Peter Erskine (piccolo) snare. It was limited to 750 snares (numbered) and came out in the late 80's....by the mid-to-late 90's there were approx. 20-30.... Some of them included: several Steve Gadd models (4 different models), several Dave Weckl (4 as well), Anton Fig, Ndugu Chancler, Peter Erskine (2 - 10"&12" models), Manu Katche, JR Robinson (2), Paul Leim (2), Elvin Jones, Akira Jimbo, David Garibaldi, Billy Cobham & Roy Haynes...the Vinnie signature snare, I believe, was also a limited run (like the 1st Peter Erskine snare and the 1st edition Manu)....the Vinnie snare had a fairly short run, as he left yamaha shortly after its introduction ....btw, I don't believe the Sonny Emory sig. Model was introduced until early 2000's (but I could be mistaken)...

Last edited:
And there are international models like the Ton Dijkman, Andre Ceccarelli, Pedro Barceló, Ralf Gustke, Erik Smith and the Wolfgang Haffner.

Not even starting with the Japan models.

Also there are first run models like the Katché (seamless shell, 80's RC lugs) and the Akira (Maple version, gold lugs) and one of models (Aldridge Carbon) JR (had actually 3 models, 14, 15 and a flame red-ish 14)

So there are quite some rare models out there.

I own the Manu first run, number 161:
009.jpg

New game.

Post the signatures:
5092da0f-4405-57ea.jpg

Ton Dijkman 14x6,5 Maple

EV_Artist_Erik-Smith-------------------------_EA5920010654_03sb30sdxya3_PROXY.jpg

MSD1450ES Erik Smith 14x5 Maple
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.159285727447507.29271.124506074258806&type=3

600308_623124864364379_961842869_n.jpg

VSD1460PB Pedro Barcelo 14x6 Maple
http://es.yamaha.com/es/products/mu...ums/snaredrum-signature/vsd1460pb/?mode=model

IMG_1952.jpg

MSD13AJ Akira Jimbo 13x6,5 Maple

56880_img_448987d9334bc_hb_354.jpg

SD365DW Dave Weckl 14x6,5 Alumium
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/percussions/snaredrums/sd-365dw/?mode=model
http://www.drumcenter.cz/eshop/snar...l-signature/produkt-56880.html?PHPSESSID=6e82

And... I just stumbled on this one (by searching in spanish for sig snares)
yamaha-msd1470jbsp-jose-bruno-signature.jpg

MSD1470JBSP Jose Bruno 14x7 Maple

Who knows how much each country developed over the years.

Lets put them here, including the more known versions (like the Gadd, manu and Weckl have changed over the years, some of them 4 times)

Post the Signatures: Paul Leim SD455APL, 14 x 5.5, Chrome on Brass

Attachments

• DSC_1021.jpg
    DSC_1021.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2,156
I never heard of the guy and Yamaha has discontinued the signature line for a while now.

Musiqman, do you know what the new strategy is behind the Most limited offering of snare drums ever from a major like Yamaha ?

It is more than enough for me, just seems unusual.

There is one piece, I have it..

Attachments

• DSC_0051 1.JPG
    DSC_0051 1.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 899
  • DSC_0052 1.JPG
    DSC_0052 1.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 871
  • DSC_0053 1.JPG
    DSC_0053 1.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 870
  • DSC_0054 1.JPG
    DSC_0054 1.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 845
Crap lugs (YDLS). You can't put out a hi end snare with pot metal lugs.

Pot metal lugs do not fare well under hi tension, they will eventually fail.

I've been crowing this for years, more and more are finding out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXUQRiCkdCs&t=0m30s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAF-hmD_GNs&t=427s

That's crazy. I have a Maple Custom kit with the gold lugs and the 14x6 snare is one of my main snares. I have had it low, crazy- high, and everything between. I don't see anything like that. Was there ever a re-design?

Its not that these lugs break so easily (I only heard about this probably watching his video’s). They are great and nice looking lugs and I tune those MC lugs up quite high and no problem at all so far.

What was an “issue” for a short period of time is that the older lugs had the pin underneath the screw location. This ment that they were prone to caving in.
They quickly re-designed the lug with the pin above the screw and I haven’t heard about more problems ever since, besides the video’s of Nelson.

As a side-note. I had a snare with the old design and even it was pulling away it worked fine under high tension, but I can see why it could become an issue.

Regarding that snare.

Regarding the Isele snare, that snare is an (early) Custom Snare. Mostly these were made when someone (artists, dealers, connected people) was invited to visit the factory and was allowed to make a snare themself.

I have such a snare myself too from the former boss of Guitar Centre, its a true gem (13x7) with an outerply of Quilted Maple. .

As far as I know there aren’t any plans to restart a signature line. They made an exception for Dave Weckl’s Anniversary.

Last edited:
That's crazy. I have a Maple Custom kit with the gold lugs and the 14x6 snare is one of my main snares. I have had it low, crazy- high, and everything between. I don't see anything like that. Was there ever a re-design?

Its not that these lugs break so easily (I only heard about this probably watching his video’s). They are great and nice looking lugs and I tune those MC lugs up quite high and no problem at all so far.

What was an “issue” for a short period of time is that the older lugs had the pin underneath the screw location. This ment that they were prone to caving in.
They quickly re-designed the lug with the pin above the screw and I haven’t heard about more problems ever since, besides the video’s of Nelson.

As a side-note. I had a snare with the old design and even it was pulling away it worked fine under high tension, but I can see why it could become an issue.

Regarding that snare.

Regarding the Isele snare, that snare is an (early) Custom Snare. Mostly these were made when someone (artists, dealers, connected people) was invited to visit the factory and was allowed to make a snare themself.

I have such a snare myself too from the former boss of Guitar Centre, its a true gem (13x7) with an outerply of Quilted Maple. .

As far as I know there aren’t any plans to restart a signature line. They made an exception for Dave Weckl’s Anniversary.

If you keep these cheap YAMAHA lugs under hi tension for any length of time they will fail, seen it a lot.

It has nothing to do with the locater pin at all, which is a few feeble millimeters across, and for all practical purposes useless. The position of the mounting screw (top) doesn't matter either.

The problem is there's only 1 mounting screw and the material (pot metal) is to too weak and non existent to hold hi tension.

High end snare drums are not manufactured with pot metal lugs, any quality SD builder will attest to this... because this is what happens to pot metal under high tension, its crap.

I believe YAMAHA went to a 2 mounting screw design as a fix, but pot metal will distort under periods of high tension, 1, or 2 screw design doesn't matter, its just not strong enough a metal.

Attachments

• Ylugs.png
    Ylugs.png
    163 KB · Views: 694
If you keep these cheap YAMAHA lugs under hi tension for any length of time they will fail, seen it a lot.

It has nothing to do with the locater pin at all, which is a few feeble millimeters across, and for all practical purposes useless. The position of the mounting screw (top) doesn't matter either.

The problem is there's only 1 mounting screw and the material (pot metal) is to too weak and non existent to hold hi tension.

High end snare drums are not manufactured with pot metal lugs, any quality SD builder will attest to this... because this is what happens to pot metal under high tension, its crap.

I believe YAMAHA went to a 2 mounting screw design as a fix, but pot metal will distort under periods of high tension, 1, or 2 screw design doesn't matter, its just not strong enough a metal.

Those look like a different lug, more rounded. This is the inside of a MC lug, straight top, bottom and inside:
20170407_133407.jpg

I just never (or at least can't remember) heard these stories. If it was such a major problem, Yamaha would have upgraded the make of the lug or even discontinued the lug in total. They even used it for the recent Weckl anniversary snares. Thats a lifespan of nearly 20 years.

The re-placement of the anti rotate nut was done to stop lug spray (this was a problem, so they upgraded it) not for breaking of lugs.

The lugs that were major prone to breaking were the carbon Nouveau lugs, because of this they discontinued that design:
s-l225.jpg

I do know that if a lug does breaks (or anything that faults on a drum from Yamaha) it is replaced, if it turns out to be a construction error.

Those look like a different lug, more rounded. This is the inside of a MC lug, straight top, bottom and inside:
20170407_133407.jpg

I just never (or at least can't remember) heard these stories. If it was such a major problem, Yamaha would have upgraded the make of the lug or even discontinued the lug in total. They even used it for the recent Weckl anniversary snares. Thats a lifespan of nearly 20 years.

The re-placement of the anti rotate nut was done to stop lug spray (this was a problem, so they upgraded it) not for breaking of lugs.

The lugs that were major prone to breaking were the carbon Nouveau lugs, because of this they discontinued that design:
s-l225.jpg

I do know that if a lug does breaks (or anything that faults on a drum from Yamaha) it is replaced, if it turns out to be a construction error.

Agree with you on the MC lugs...I’ve had them on numerous Yamaha snares and I generally tune my snares high and I’ve never had any problems with these

Early 90's MAPLE CUSTOM snare lugs. Measure your's, I'll measure these... same dimensions, same crap material.

Look at post #16, there's your 'upgrade', two mounting screws, tho same crap material, it'll fail after awhile under hi tension too.

Stories? Not stories, facts, facts that didn't readily get reported. Its not just YAMAHA, I've seen many failed pot metal lugs. YAMAHA is not the only drum manufacture to use pot metal lugs on drums.

Quality, custom SD builders DO NOT use pot metal lugs on their builds, because they've experienced the failures of lesser built drums with pot metal lugs. And yes, a lesser built drum has pot metal lugs.

Agree with you on the MC lugs...I’ve had them on numerous Yamaha snares and I generally tune my snares high and I’ve never had any problems with these

'If' you've been tuning high for years on these drums, you'll most likely have distortion in the lugs, the support wings bend first (see pic, note all 3 blown locater pins too) then they break. You may be at any stage, but not to worry (maybe), MusiQmaN
says YAMAHA will replace. Let us know how that works out should you find failure.

Attachments

• Yam lug S1.jpg
    Yam lug S1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 619
  • Ylugs 1.png
    Ylugs 1.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 625
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 8.35.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 8.35.53 PM.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 622
Early 90's MAPLE CUSTOM snare lugs. Measure your's, I'll measure these... same dimensions, same crap material.

Look at post #16, there's your 'upgrade', two mounting screws, tho same crap material, it'll fail after awhile under hi tension too.

Stories? Not stories, facts, facts that didn't readily get reported. Its not just YAMAHA, I've seen many failed pot metal lugs. YAMAHA is not the only drum manufacture to use pot metal lugs on drums.

Quality, custom SD builders DO NOT use pot metal lugs on their builds, because they've experienced the failures of lesser built drums with pot metal lugs. And yes, a lesser built drum has pot metal lugs.

'If' you've been tuning high for years on these drums, you'll most likely have distortion in the lugs, the support wings bend first (see pic, note all 3 blown locater pins too) then they break. You may be at any stage, but not to worry (maybe), MusiQmaN
says YAMAHA will replace. Let us know how that works out should you find failure.

The lugs on the snare of post number 16 aren't two screws, they are one screw per lug (just placed closer to each other because its a piccolo model)

The pin is at the opposite side, so that means it is the upgraded MC pin lug.

they never made a two screw lug, because it wasn't needed (that is why the anti rotation pin is used)

We are all allowed to have an opinion (thats why its a forum), just don't go so hard on yours.

Especially if it is ''hurting'' or sounds like lashing out too such a well respected name, who goes beyond anything regarding quality control (changing products after there release and even discontinuing when turning out really faulty)

Back