Best Intermediate Drumset?

RAWDrums844

I've been looking a for a good intermediate drum set that has a price of less than $700. I know that I am getting the Sabian XS20 Super Pack for cymbals, I just need a good drum set to outfit them. I play mostly rock, and sometimes pop. I have also been considering Pearl Export's, but I want to hear other choices too. Any suggestions? Thanks

There are already many threads about this topic, but I would recommend the PDP Concept Maple 5-piece shell pack. Great sounding drums. The pack is about $730, but I assume you would be able to find an extra $30 somewhere.

Indeed. Many many threads.

Most of us recommend buying used, and getting a step up in terms of quality. Check out craigslist for steals. I just opened it in my area and found this

Pearl Session Custom Marine Blue Fade 4pc Maple Shell Set - $650
10" and 12 " High Toms and 14" Floor Tom. 22" Bass Drum (Maple Shell)
ZILDJIAN 20" K CUSTOM RIDE
ZILDJIAN 14" Master Sound Hi Hats
Sabian Hard Shell Cymbal Case.
Steel Piccolo Snare Drum 14"
LP Bongo Drums
ZILDJIAN Stick Bag with Assorted Sticks (includes brushes)

If I were looking for a kit, and had $700-in-pocket, I'd get in my van right now.

I've only played a sonor intermediate 3007, it was alright. and a Mapex meridian maple they are discontinued but were being blown out, if you can find one they are awesome for the price. I gig with one and it does the job and some. You will need to get a good quality snare though, because the snares on these intermediate kits don't speak.

Buy used.

For $700 you could score a $1200 kit that's got a couple scratches. Alternately you could spend $3-400 on a used $700 kit.

There really isn't anything in the beginner-intermediate price range that's new or exciting or must-have enough to justify buying new. +1 on the pdp concepts, but even those have been out long enough to find used pretty easily.

Also pearl exports are all around you. Everywhere. If you're in an urban or suburban area, then there are a couple withing walking distance. Many can be had for cheap. And even being 10-20+ years old doesn't mean they will sound any worse than then new ones.

Buy used.

I'll echo the "buy used" sentiments. You'll have to do a bit of digging, but you'll be able to find a professional kit at or under your $700 budget that will be way nicer than any intermediate kits you'll see. As already mentioned, you could also look for a used intermediate kit, and then keep the rest of the money and acquire some used professional cymbals, and I'm not talking XS20s, either. Going used will open many more doors for you.

If you MUST buy new, then I'll throw in a +1 for both the PDP Concept Maples, as well as Mapex Meridian Maples.

Here's one store's listing of new drum shell packs costing between $200 and $750 - 56 sets total: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/shel...profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

So there's a lot to pick from. But focusing only on price, while important, is not the right approach.
You should consider - what size drums, how many drums, which shell composition, new or used, type of mounting system,
any specific features you'd like, do you need cymbals or hardware, as well as general looks and finishes.

It might take a few, or several sets to find these things out though. Most mid range kits are pretty well made nowadays.

Buying new or used can make a big difference.
New, you will know the full history of the drums and have some recourse if there are any defects.
You pay a higher up front price for that luxury though.

Used drums in my area are generally in poor shape. If they have been gigged, they're usually a bit rusty and dinged up.
Depends on how fussy you are, I guess.
Every once in a while you run across a stay at home set that looks in almost new condition.
If you buy used, that's the one to look for. It might take a while though.

Personally, new or used, I like Yamaha Stage Customs in that price range.
The other sets listed by people here will work well too, depending on your preferences.

I'm not a big fan of Guitar Center but they carry a TON of used drums. If there is one close by then you can get them shipped to your store for about 35 bucks and if you don't like them you can take them back.

I just bout a cheap set of PDP Centerstage and I'm already trying to figure out how to get rid of them. Totally an impulse purchase as MF had them on sale for 299... shipped. Even at 54 years of age I still do stupid stuff.

Back