Ironwood drum set

tamadrummer132 said:
how much did it cost u?

As noted above, the shell pack and playable snare was $5,300. Counting the Talkit drum, cymbals, stands, Gauger RIMS mounts, Slicknuts, pedals, agogo bells, Hardcase cases, heads and rims, you're looking at about $9,000.

I also fabricated a lot of my own hardware (bass drum cradle, low-profile offset cymbal stackers, bell mount, Talkit legs) which isn't counted, nor are sticks.

www.terrasonus.com

hello, it is proud to me to write something for you, I want that you knows that I have listened to terrasonus and I have the clips of the songs here them that the music is so relaxed, could listen to it by many hours..also congratule you by the composition of the percussion in the songs..you have one kit that seems very cool to play experimental music..very good luck to you and your band.
leo

Man !

You have one of a kind drum set ! VERY UNIQUE !!!

You have nice gears all around, everything is lovely.

Keep rollin' dude :)

i love it. LOVE IT@!$#$@#
the duelist must be awesome....
those head are awesome...
your cymbals are awesome..
your SET IS AWESOME@#%@#%
i want one =(

Updates: I am installing an interior bass drum mic and I thought this would be a good opportunity to see the inside of the drum. All Spirit drums have these unusual carvings - the makers believe this keeps the sound inside the drum longer, increasing the complexity of the tone.

www.terrasonus.com

Spiritbassdruminterior3.jpg

Spiritbassdruminterior2.jpg

Spiritbassdruminterior4.jpg

Spiritbassdrumexterior1.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful kit! How absolutely different your set is than everyone else's on this site.
I checked out the spirit drums website, the sound clips are fantastic! The inside of the shells are just amazing. You are one lucky man.

Dude, he uses the dualist because he uses his left foot for the hats the block and the talking drum. there is nothing dishonorable about that.

I thik DreamTheater4Life was just kidding around. The Duallist is the most controversial piece of gear ever and expect people to comment about it. But you are right, there is no room at all for a double pedal, and if there were I'd use it for something I don't already have, maybe an electronic control or second percussion item.

For simple economy of space, I must squeeze every bit of use out of each limb and hardware item, so I must do with one foot what most people would do with two feet. That leaves room for something entirely different.

www.terrasonus.com

*EDIT: Sorry guys, I stand corrected. I was wrong, and my facts were not factual.... I apologise.*

Im sorry to have to say this, but I really dont like this kit.

Sure it looks and sounds nice, but ironwood is extremelly rare and I wonder what concequences this drum kit has had on the enviroment. Ironwood is well conserved and there is a limit to how much can be harvested, so has this wood been imported illegially?

Im sorry if I am wrong, and would be happy if you could enlighten me as to how this wood was obtained. Most companies that offer rare woods (pearl, tama etc) have policies that work hand in hand with wood conservationists.

Again, im sorry if im ranting, and im sure that this is a great kit. I just guess im getting old.........

Last edited:

Sure it looks and sounds nice, but ironwood is extremelly rare and I wonder what concequences this drum kit has had on the enviroment. Ironwood is well conserved and there is a limit to how much can be harvested, so has this wood been imported illegially?

Im sorry if I am wrong, and would be happy if you could enlighten me as to how this wood was obtained. Most companies that offer rare woods (pearl, tama etc) have policies that work hand in hand with wood conservationists.

Again, im sorry if im ranting, and im sure that this is a great kit. I just guess im getting old.........

Who told you ironwood was "extremely rare"? It it is not extremely rare (well, maybe for drums). In some areas, ironwood is quite common. If you don't like this kit because of how it was made, here is some more information:

You ask a perfectly fair question. Overlogging is a big environmental issue worldwide. This kind of wood is found only in Queensland, in an area about the size of Texas in north Australia.

Australia has very stringent environmental laws and does regulate timber cutting. A 2002 government report found "currently timber harvesting of native forests in the Northern Territory is a very minor industry operating at low levels ... ironwood harvesting is likely to always be only a local small-scale operation" (http://www.affa.gov.au/corporate_do...ry/sustainability/national/Ironwood_in_NT.pdf, see page 129). The report does make clear, however, that overharvesting has occured in the past, particularly with white settlement in the 1860s.

A certain amount of ironwood is allowed to be harvested to support the people and towns in an area. Most of the ironwood gets turned into fence posts and railroad ties and decks and a tiny bit gets turned into very high-value items like musical instruments (flutes, guitars, drums) and sculptures.

Ironwood leaves and suckers are extremely poisonous to cattle and must be cleared from areas where ranching is permitted. (But if someone is a vegetarian, they probably won't view ranching as a good thing to begin with.)

Obtaining ironwood is very difficult as the area where it grows is primarily wild (see www.spritdrums.com for an explanation). So far, only about a dozen Spirit kits have been made, although many djembes, congas and snares have been made. They talk about their harvesting on their Web site with photos and say they purchased for licensed cutters. I take them at their word.

Spirit drum makers do all their manufacture locally, using local labor and fabrication for their hardware, and the money for the kit directly supports their families and local merchants. So this kit was made in a socially sustainable way, not just an environmentally sustainable way.

I'm curious now - what do you play with, and what do you know about how it was made?

I hope you own a kit made of fiberglass, acrylic, carbon fiber or metal, because if it's wood, YOU are causing environmental damage as well. You could be deforesting parts of Europe or Asia. Shame. Maple, birch, doesn't matter. You could be responsible for developing country sweatshop child labor. Or maybe the wood is taken for economic reasons and ruining animal habitats, and you don't know it because the press isn't there.

Last edited:

What a buzzkill you are. Take a stand on something important.

I hope you own a kit made of fiberglass, acrylic, carbon fiber or metal, because if it's wood, YOU are causing environmental damage as well. You could be deforesting parts of Europe or Asia. Shame. Maple, birch, doesn't matter. You could be responsible for developing country sweatshop child labor. Or maybe the wood is taken for economic reasons and ruining animal habitats, and you don't know it because the press isn't there.

Fijibo did ask a fair question, although he seems to have made up his mind before getting more facts, or allowing others to present facts. There have been threads here before about the issue of sustainability in music instrument production.

Every kind of manufacturing produces some waste or damage. Synthetic kits have their own environmental costs, such as toxic waste. Unless people lived in caves and died by the age of 20, society is going to cause some environmental disruption.

The question is, "Is the disruption sustainable?" And also, "Is the resource being put to good use to support the people who live near it?"

Cutting down a 350-year-old ironwood tree could be a terrible thing or a the start of a great thing, depending on how many you cut down, if you replant them, if you use them to create a high-value product vs. cardboard boxes, etc. Creating several pounds of toxic waste making a carbon fiber drum set may not be a problem either, depending on what is done with the waste.

If you buy from someone in the First World, you can be pretty sure the product was made with government regulations about pollution control, resource extraction and wage and fair working conditions. The farther way from the First World you go, the more likely the product was made in a socially and environmentally unsustainable manner.

www.terrasonus.com

Well said DMC. And also, on the comment about our government's conservation laws/etc... they are full on. Unfortunately, a lot of decisions and opinions are made upon incorrect/dated information. Recently research was performed for the government about water usage in realtion to different sources of agriculture, and it was deemed that irrigation is the most water inefficient method of farming. But in reality, it tends to use around 2/3 of the water per tonne of food produced then livestock and also less than dry crops. They used data from the 1970s for the reasearch, and it was still widely accepted across the country. A few governental decisions arose from the data they were provided with which may not be beneficial to the industry, especially as water is becoming more and more scarce and there is less food stored internationally then ever before.
Yes, we're thinking the right things, but not always actually heading there.
However I do know for a fact that Ironwood harvestation is absolutely minimal, and DMC (and everyone else) should have no concerns with his kit or Spirit Drums.

Biz

Every kind of manufacturing produces some waste or damage. Synthetic kits have their own environmental costs, such as toxic waste.
www.terrasonus.com

Q. How environmentally friendly is the manufacturing process for Tempus shells?
A. While it's true that what I do is no threat to the world's forests, this is still industry and, as such, it still consumes raw materials and produces waste to some degree. The Composites Fabricators Association maintains quite an excellent web site (www.cfa-hq.org/) wherein, if you peruse the Technical Resources section, you can read up on what's allowable in terms of emissions, workplace conditions, safety issues and the like.
Certainly my factory is well within acceptable parameters but, even so, I work in a full-body Tyvek moon suit sporting complete airport runway quality hearing protection and a chemically rated filter mask... not a particularly endearing sight to anyone who visits the facility but, then again, I don't generally invite company round to begin with...
Basically, in building my shells I use resins and gels which emit styrene particles in infinitesimal quantities ( a few parts per billion ); these can, at best, give you a bit of a headache if you breathe in the fumes for long enough. The booth I do most of the work in is exhaust filtered, which catches any particles which don't fall to the floor on their own. I also create dust which rapidly settles to the ground and is subsequently swept up and ends up in, unfortunately, a local landfill site. Leftover shell cuttings are usually mailed out as colour samples to interested parties who then, one naturally assumes, keep them for life as treasured memorabilia to be handed down to their heirs.
My resins and gels are derived from oil; thus, not really an imminently exhaustible resource and, if the truth be told, much, much older than your basic Timeless Timber... And Fibreglass is derived from sand, again something we're not short of.
And, truthfully, there's only ever been one fatality at my factory, that being a squirrel which somehow managed to drink half a quart of acetone. Since my mental facilities are easily twice that of the average small furry rodent, I figure I'll be OK... So, all in all, not a bad situation vis a vis my contributions to environmental health and well-being.

Personally, if you have ever visited Australia, you would know we are in no short supply of trees. A look out the back of my house will provide you with enough trees to fill every drum manufacturer in the world a few times over.

Also, the use of ironwood in wood truss and other rural industrial applications was fairly common (not anymore though). I wouldn't dare say that ironwood is rare, in all truth, id say maple is rarer.

In addition, in terms of aesthetics, Australian trees are some of the ugliest, gnarled and misshapen in the world.

Back