A mod that has made my life a little easier

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
If anyone plays anything mounted to a rod, like a cowbell or a tambourine...I play a cowbell and a tam that are both mounted on the same rod. The small cowbell is mounted on top, and it would always loosen up , spin around and even slide down the rod when I played it.

So I decided to take the rod to my grinding wheel. I removed some material right where the little ring clamp thingy goes, enough so it made a little slot for it. No more turning or slipping. Little things like that make my life easier. I don't need to be chasing my cowbell.

My plate was already full today and you come along spreading your good ideas. Thanks Larry. But seriously, that is a great idea señor. I do not have problems with slipage, but this would be a good memory lock-style mod. Anything that makes setup easier. Where is my grinder?

Not only will I end up doing this exact mod, but I bet you just inspired me to take my grinding wheel to all kinds of stuff. Thanks Larry!

Great idea Uncle Larry. Much better than the hair tie thing I have been doing forever to prevent slippage. Now I have an excuse to go buy a grinder!

Putting a flat on a round bar to prevent attachments turning is also sound engineering practice, just don't go too deep with the grinder and weaken the post.

Nice one, Lar, loosened cowbells and toys are annoying. I've rough sandpapered rods in spots where screw pressure is used on them to increase friction a tad (and the chance of rust - maybe a bit of fish oil?). Your slot idea sounds better.

Let us know when you're on the New Inventors :)

I'm on the New Inventors!

OK that was a lie.

Initially I was going to put a memory lock on the rod, but then I could't get my tam off without taking the rod out. Since I take the bell and tam off for packing up, I prefer to pack my cymbal stand with the rod holder and rod still attached, less hassle setting up. I wanted an easier solution than the mem lock, so I came up with the slot idea. My tam slides right past the slot now.

Right before I subjected the rod to the rotating stone wheel, I said...(spoken like Tony Montana) "say hello to my little friend".

OK that was a lie too.

I tested this mod at 2 gigs and it didn't even rotate side to side.

It's the little things in life, right?

For a second I thought this thread might have something to do with Arky or Bermuda... how a thread title can be wrongly interpreted...

Well done Larry... now do something for the wind chimes :)

Back