Old Rocker

RockApe

Hi from New Zealand,
After a fairly long strip down, clean and reassembly, I recently set up my 1991 Ludwig Rockers for the first itme last weekend. The kit for which I paid $200 about ten months ago came sans snare so I splashed out on battered 1965 Supra from the US to go with it. I don't have any cymbals yet and the kit remain unplayed but it'll be worth the wait.

Attachments

• IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 392
Nice! Are they the original hoops? That's a deep hoop. Not that it matters, just curious. You never know what Ludwig will do. I parted together a WMP Ludwig kit and put maple hoops on the bass to save myself over a hundred bucks. I like the Maple hoops.

Thanks for the comments. In fact, the bass drum hoops are the original ones except I stripped back the original black paint which was chipped and nasty looking and applied a few coats of varnish. Here's the bass drum as I got it.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 297
Those old rockers are good drums. They are a whole lot better than the entry level stuff Ludwig puts out now. And the natural hoops make them look awesome. Hope you enjoy them.

Thanks very much. As a matter of interest here's a before and after of the '65 Supra. As you can see it was in a pretty sorry state when I got it and although it's not been possible to fully resolve the terrible pitting to the chrome, it's a whole not nicer. Oh yes, and it sounds absolutely great! I find a real pleasure in breathing new life into old forgotten gear.

Attachments

• IMG_1160.JPG
    IMG_1160.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 243
Thanks very much for the old promo literature. It looks as though mine is the Power kit as it has the 16" bass drum.

Maybe look again. They list three 22" bass drums that are 16" deep, and one 22" that's 14" deep.
But ya - those look like power toms.

Nice job saving the snare. There's only so much you can do with pitting that severe,
But it looks a heck of a lot better than it did when you started.

I think this would be a great time to do a little playing and getting use to the arrangement and maybe make a few changes if necessary. I understand waiting for cymbals but practicing your fills without the cymbals may be beneficial.

Yep - you got drums. Go ahead and play 'em.

People who don't have drums can still play with sticks and a practice pad. Lots of people start with just a snare for a while they're learning too.

Don't know what level you're playing at, but there's no need to wait for cymbals before you play those drums.

Great feedback guys and yes, I'm very pleased with the snare. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I played pretty extensively back in the late 70s and 80s in Europe and the US so certainly not a beginner but never to old too learn new tricks!

Back