Better than the original??.....Noooooo!!!!!!

Cake does a great cover of "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor (I think) as well as "Guitar Man" (Bread). I like Cake's version of both songs better than the originals and disagree with folks who think a cover can not improve upon an original.

Lets just say I prefer some covers to the orginals like Keep me hanging on by the Supremes was okay but I prefer the Vanilla Fudge verson better. Also Royals by Lorde is better done to me by Puddles Pity Party. It is all a matter of ones taste in things.

Did ya'll hear the Tool version of No Quarter? A lot of my buddies are split on that one. Some like it more, some less than Zep's.

Not sure if it counts as "better", but it's certainly different to the original and done without any irony: Seether's cover of "Careless Whisper"

I liked George Michaels version, but I think Seether brought something different/new and powerful to the song.

It is a beautiful song either way.

I also like Axle's version of Sympathy for the Devil more than Jaggers. One of the best lyrics ever written:

"I drove a tank, held a General's rank, while the Blitzkrieg raged and the bodies stank"

Just thought Axle brought more of an edge to it.

Covers that sound better than the originals?

Anyone that covers a "Kiss" tune.

Guys, I can end this discussion right now. A cover can be better than the original: http://youtu.be/KjVGJ3YFDc8

You could pretty much just say anything Dirty Loops have done is better than the original!

Not keen on that Pucifer version of BR though. Its not different enough. I like my covers either spot on like the original or completely different vibe from the original.

I'd say the CSN version of Wooden Ships is better than the Jefferson Airplane original. No doubt about that.

Have you heard the heavy metal version of White Rabbit by Lizzy Borden? Not better, but different. I liked Lizzy Borden back in the day.

I like this version, it crack me up everytime :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY

Me too. Everything they do is just crazy. Maynard is nuts.

Back