Need ideas for music analysis

Jivi

For school, I need to write a quality analysis on anything to with the drums.

It can be like history of the drum kit, styles, genres, technique, players.

I'm having trouble picking a specific focus and something that will have a decent amount of information to research on.

Anyone have any ideas?

I too, was in that position a few weeks ago. We had to analyse an aspect of some jazz tunes to prove they are music within the jazz genre. I chose to analyse the drums, and in particular the use of polyrhythms. Ended up getting an A. What are your strong points? Pick them out and focus on that. For me, it was polyrhythms. Perhaps you could discuss how the role of the drummer has changed over the last century? Or how a particular style has developed and how drummers have influenced that development.

I hope this helps :)

Google is your friend. And the home page of this web site will give you a ton of info on the life and times of just about any drummer who ever lived.

The history of drums would be very broad IMO. If I were in your situation, I would do it on the evolution and technological progression of the drum set. Write about how with the drums changed with the advancement of pop culture and popular music. How the electronic drum set can be used with the acoustic drum set. How advancements in hardware, drum & cymbal crafting, allow drummers to perform more complicated techniques and patterns. For example: compare and contrast the drum set up of Buddy Rich and Thomas Lang. Don't know if this is exactly what your looking for, but I hoped I help out.

Yeah it's a very broad range of topics you're looking at. Maybe pick a specific genre that you're interested in, just to narrow it down? Or maybe two and compare and contrast...teachers love compare and contrasts hahaha.
Wish you all the best with your task mate.
Cel.

Here's an idea, in keeping with quality analysis, do a piece on calfskin heads vs/ modern heads. You could go on about calfskin heads, the problems associated with them and then talk about more modern heads...From there you could touch on the different heads made for the different styles of music etc..

Here's an idea, in keeping with quality analysis, do a piece on calfskin heads vs/ modern heads. You could go on about calfskin heads, the problems associated with them and then talk about more modern heads...From there you could touch on the different heads made for the different styles of music etc..

Or anything on how to choose a drum kit wisely based on factors that influence sound and quality and ways you can perform quality checks yourself.

Back