Stick Control Book - Applicable to Feet?

cwignall

Evening.

Started practicing on my pad again after 3 years away from serious drumming (another thread and another story)

Bought the famous stick control and almost finished the first page when i stopped!

Wondered if the same exercises, practiced in the same way would work with my double pedal work?

No better way to find out which i will be doing but just wondered if anyone has tried to same and with what results?

I haven't, but I know that it is done. It's also a good way of bringing dynamics into your bass drum playing - a much-forgotten art.

Yes it is applicable to your feet, although not all of it I don't think. Maybe some crazy drummer out there has figured out a way to do buzz rolls with his feet, but it's not something I've tried.

yes stick control is good for the feet also. i would recommend practicing both heel up and down.
also there is some great study material on georgekollias.com. Go to the education link and click on the balance/coordination link(part 1 and 2). Actually the first page is straight out of stick control. I reallly recommend this stuff. Hope it helps you as much as it helped me!

Yes it is applicable to your feet, although not all of it I don't think. Maybe some crazy drummer out there has figured out a way to do buzz rolls with his fee YES Stick control is great for the feet I started to go through the exercises a long time ago and No Im not crazy But when you a fast double you can get the same kind of buzz as the hands,
heres an Old video of foot control
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MGGJOaJd9Q
Tim

@Tim Waterson

Haha, I knew after I posted that someone would post some crazy solo. That was good. I guess it depends more on the drum head and the bounce you get off it. One thing I've learned while trying to train my feet is that my hands are a lot easier to get coordinated than my feet. Nice solo. :)

I'm curious, how much do you practice with your feet with rudiments? Do you spend equal time with rudiments with your hands and your feet?

@Tim Waterson

Haha, I knew after I posted that someone would post some crazy solo. That was good. I guess it depends more on the drum head and the bounce you get off it. One thing I've learned while trying to train my feet is that my hands are a lot easier to get coordinated than my feet. Nice solo. :)

I'm curious, how much do you practice with your feet with rudiments? Do you spend equal time with rudiments with your hands and your feet?

I usually only work on my rudiments with my feet if im trying to practice it for a solo so no not as much with the feet as its easier to watch tv and practice ruds on a pad with the hands LOL
Glad you like the solo that was a tribute to Louie as i knew he was not in the greatest health and i wanted to get him a copy.I know he saw it before he passed.So my goal was accomplished.R.I.P. Louie you will be missed.
As for the head i purposely played on the heasd as loose as i could get it thats why people care complaining about the sound i can do more on a tight head.
Yes hands are much easier to co ordinate thats why I do try to do more stuff with my feet the hands come more naturally.
Tim

Hey cwignall, 100% yes to your question!

That book will bring your feet up incredibly well if you put the work
in to it. I've had many students who have benefited from it.

You might not use many of the patterns in your actual performances
but the fact that you can do them will give you incredible control and
facility - which ultimately leads to relaxed and comfortable playing.

Good luck man!

For further inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu52BsNOdDc

If double kick is something you really enjoy and would like to progress further, it's definitely worth learning rudiments and certain exercises out of stick control. I've started with rudiments getting my doubles up to speed.

Heel up or heel down I don't think matters very much, personally I just use heel up, I don't feel it necessary to do heel down as well. You could pull off a Thomas Lang and do both if you would like :p

Dom Famularo recomends this method. I went to one of his clinics and "Stick Control" was sold out in my town the next day for a month. I finally had to buy it online.

Back