Converting a 28 marching bass drum to drum set How hard is it?

mikei

Gold Member
Hello,

I was thinking about purchasing a 28 marching bass drum and converting it to a drums set kick drum

Are the bass drum legs the only thing I would need to add?

Has anyone done this?

Mike

I converted 2 marchers to kicks. One was a Yamaha 28x14 and one was a Yamaha 20x14. And indeed, add spurs and you're good to go. Depending on what type of carrier the drum has/had, you will probably wind up with a set of "extra" holes. No big deal. Rotate the holes towards the floor and no one's gonna see 'em. If you're gonna do a re-wrap, dowel the holes, cover with a wrap/veneer, and bang, virgin kick.

Also depends what type of hoops it has.

If ity has wood hoops, you're in business! Though 28'' Hoops might be a bit pricey if theyre not already on there!

Hunt Sales getting to you?
hahah!
JK.

Spurs should be the only thing you'd need to get, the hoops on it should work for a kick pedal just fine---unless they are in really bad shape, but 28" hoops aren't hard to get if you need them.

I converted a 28X14 Leedy marching bass to a kick, and all mine needed was spurs and a good cleaning, Oh and new heads. I went with a pinstripe batter and ebony res. If you have the July 2004 issue of Modern drummer, there is a pic of it in "Drumkit of the month".

Hello,

I was thinking about purchasing a 28 marching bass drum and converting it to a drums set kick drum

Are the bass drum legs the only thing I would need to add?

Has anyone done this?

Mike

Here's a 28x10 I modded to use with a Club Date kit I've got. I use it quite a bit, it just sounds enormous!! And I think it looks quite cool with the small set it's with.
MikeKeith01.jpg

The holes for the spurs were right where the straps connected, so it was a snap to install the spurs, and they ARE vintage Ludwigs!!. I also added the rail mount, also vintage Ludwig though I shortened it as much as I could due to the height of that monster kick.

I felt the drum would probably have been scrapped if left as a marching drum, so drilling it's virgin WMP wrap and shell and making it a usable and loved kickdrum was less traumatic than if it was a vintage virgin kit drum.

The drum cost me $125.00 American, it was sitting on the top shelf of a pawn shop for YEARS with some old ripped Slingerland heads on it, which fortunatly kept the shell true and round. It turned out to be quite the satisfying little project.

Last edited:
Here's a 28x10 I modded to use with a Club Date kit I've got. I use it quite a bit, it just sounds enormous!! And I think it looks quite cool with the small set it's with.
MikeKeith01.jpg

Wow!

That is incredible.

Now, I have got to get a 28!!!!!

I have a fiberskyn reso on my 26 x 18. I love the rumble!!!

Thanks for the post! And you are right, it looks great with your kit!

MikeKeith01.jpg

The holes for the spurs were right where the straps connected, so it was a snap to install the spurs, and they ARE vintage Ludwigs!!. I also added the rail mount, also vintage Ludwig though I shortened it as much as I could due to the height of that monster kick.

I felt the drum would probably have been scrapped if left as a marching drum, so drilling it's virgin WMP wrap and shell and making it a usable and loved kickdrum was less traumatic than if it was a vintage virgin kit drum.

The drum cost me $125.00 American, it was sitting on the top shelf of a pawn shop for YEARS with some old ripped Slingerland heads on it, which fortunatly kept the shell true and round. It turned out to be quite the satisfying little project.

I love that kick drum. Also, I checked out your myspace. That is some GREAT stuff.

I am going to have to buy a 28 kick!

I have both sizes, both 70s Ludwigs. The 28x10 gives you more of a "punch in the gut" sound. The 28x14 gives more of a "whoomph" sound. With both, I would suggest using felt strips, unless you wanted more of a concert bass drum sound.

If I had to choose between the two, I would keep the 28x10, hands down.

I converted a 22x10 to a kick drum. More for portability, but BOY do I like the punchy sound! I recommend it to anyone that is considering converting a marching bass drum. You have to be a fan of the punchy vs. boomy sound though. Little caveat.

Back