R.I.P. Richie Hayward

Richie Hayward, a rock drummer who was an original member of Little Feat, an eclectic band that has maintained a devoted following for decades, died Thursday near Vancouver, British Columbia. He was 64.

His death was confirmed by his publicist, Bridget Nolan, who said Mr. Hayward had been suffering from liver cancer and was waiting for a transplant.

Over the past year, benefits had been staged on behalf of Mr. Hayward, who had no health insurance.

Mr. Hayward formed Little Feat in 1969 with the guitarist, singer and songwriter Lowell George, the keyboardist Bill Payne and the bassist Roy Estrada, and remained a member through its various incarnations.

Though basically rock, its music drew from a variety of other genres, including country, jazz and blues. Among the band’s best-known songs were “Willin’ ” and “Dixie Chicken.”

The group fell apart in 1979 after Mr. George died, but re-formed in 1987 and had been touring ever since. Mr. Hayward last performed with Little Feat on July 11.

In addition to working with Little Feat, Mr. Hayward recorded with Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, Buddy Guy, Barbra Streisand and many others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/14/arts/music/14hayward.html

Condolences to his family and friends.

I saw him in New Orleans about twenty years ago. A fantastic player with a unique style and great groove.

Time for me to go listen to "Representing the Mambo"

Last edited:
That really sucks. I never listened to Little Feat; he came to my attention with Robert Plant. I heard "Little By Little" and bought the album right away based on his great drum sound and awesome feel and taste. I was a fan from the moment I heard him. Such a smooth and an on-the-money-always player.

R.I.P. Ritchie.

A wonderful human being,talented musician,and a friend to anyone that met him. Richie,
you will be deeply missed.You will live on in our hearts. God bless.

Richie made Little Feat. without him, they are screwed. Love you, Richie. you will be missed. </3

Back