Travis Barker

id question that, i dont think hed play like that every day on tour just to look cool, while many people now may copy his style of setup b/c they think its cool is different and undenyable, but i think he plays whats comfortable to him.. it really wouldnt make sense other wise.

I think Travis is cool because he is a drummer.i think I am cool because I am a drummer.I dont judge other drummers,coz at least they are playing the right instrument! Im not saying I dont have my favourites,but I reckon we should all acknowledge that playing drums is not about competing in a never ending battle for the "best drummer" mantle.

right.....er......was my earlier post deleted? i thought it was pretty much acceptable.
anyway, i think his verse beat for "the anthem part 2" is really creative. on the filp side i think he could have done a lot more with things like "what's my age again".
sometimes he seems really on top of things, and other times he just doesn't have the same interest factor for me.

ewanlaing said:
right.....er......was my earlier post deleted? i thought it was pretty much acceptable.
anyway, i think his verse beat for "the anthem part 2" is really creative. on the filp side i think he could have done a lot more with things like "what's my age again".
sometimes he seems really on top of things, and other times he just doesn't have the same interest factor for me.

i loved that breakdown in anthem part 2, i was so stoked when i learned that !

Josh is a cult said:
I need to get this out....
I LOVE BLINK-182. They write catchy fun music.
I LOVE BOXCAR RACERr they also write good music.
I like most of his projects, and the rest of the blink guys.
Travis barker is pretty damn good in my opinion, but i take my inspiration from EVERYTHING and EVERYONE, classic drummers, Great drummers, bad drummers, local drummers..Life lessons, spirituality, my surroundings, my lifestyle. I incorporate all of this in my drumming.
EVERY ASPECT OF MY LIFE is in my drumming.
music is about feeling, he show is well.
Its all opinion, thats mine.
and I must say he looked like an ass up there with the country stars, he shoulda chilled out, and that wasnt his place.

sorry for typing so much crap... maby im right maby im wrong, o well. =]

well i dont own a blink 182 cd.. but i love the videos they made and like you i get influenced by alot of drummers.. bands like them and red hot chilli peppers, green day and all those, "normal" type music/drumming is very easy, or fairly easy to play. so i dont think the drummers in those band are "awesome". i mean they do their part, and they do it well.. easy for most drummers who are learning like me.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that just because a drummer doesnt play technicaly difficult grooves or fills does not make them a bad drummer. to be a good drummer you must also be a good musician. and the most important thing when playing with a group is what you add to the music to make it better. Some music reqiures technicaly difficult parts in places and in some music the most simple groove fits perfectly.

Im not trying to cut this guy down or disrespect him in any way im just using this quote from his last post as an example.

Infernal Drummer: ["bands like them (Blink 182) and red hot chilli peppers, green day and all those, "normal" type music/drumming is very easy, or fairly easy to play. so i dont think the drummers in those band are "awesome". i mean they do their part, and they do it well.. easy for most drummers who are learning like me."]

Now infernal drummer probably has some musicical experience but, it took me a number of years to realize this myself. These so called "normal" bands or "normal" music i gaurentee is not that easy to play if you do it like these guys do.

What inexperienced drummers dont notice is the perfect timing, and the feel of the groove that drummers like Chad Smith put into there playing. Little things like very low volume ghost notes that you wouldnt notice unless you were listening closely, as well as the placement of these notes in the song are commonly over looked.

As for Travis even of your a blink fan or not, he changed the entire sound of that band, how they play, write songs, everything. there are a lot of bands out there that you can tell their drummer was influenced by Travis. I dont beleive his drumming can be catigorized as normal, he has a sound and a style that no one brought to the table before him.

well you are probaly right that they are more difficult, than i would have quessed. but like i said i havent got any cd's with them so ive havent heard all the songs blink 182 made. there might be, and probaly is, some chops that would take some time to learn :) but if i didnt had to go to work and lived by playing drums in a band, it wouldnt take to learn to learn, i quess.. i quess it all comes down to practice . one thing is for sure though. i can NEVER play like http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103 this guy.. i would love to though :)

I think Travis is great drummer no matter what u guys say his technique or skill is being fast so what if he uses it in his solo at least he shows he can play really fast and really clean. He's also amazing by combining many rudiments cdombining different styles music.he knows what to do with his solos he does basso novaS anything he's showing he can do it all those drummers are great drummers too that u guys are talking about but u guys just have to under stand hes really good hes won many awards and that proofs it. so thats all i have to say Travis is amazing drummer I admire him for his quickness , style,everything he's done to this world

Fun With Goats said:
Ok, I have read just about every one of these posts in this entire discussion. What you people need to understand is that you can't compare drummers from different genres and styles of music. Each category of music requires different musical needs. Travis being in the punk/pop-punk/general alternative uses different beats for his songs. Not all of his songs are fast tempo as many of you people have said. Where as Joey from Slipknot playing metal music, is required to play fast because of the style of music. Buddy Rich as some of you have mentioned is a great jazz drummer, but he doesnt play the same style drum beats as other drummers. All you people should understand is that Travis really is a great drummer for what kind of music he plays. Every drummer is great in their own way.
chris 182
finally someone makes sense everything u said is true bro I admire Travis for his STYLE

darkcherryfade said:
Nothing he plays is very difficult, and he's not that fast. When I hear his solos, it sounds like he thinks solos are ALL about speed. He plays just like most of the customers I used to get annoyed with at Guitar Center. But he's not a bad drummer.
chris 182
u hav to understand in a solo u show what u got hes got speed so he shows it by playing he plays so crisp thats what people want to hear nothing he plays is difficult for u because I don't think hes ever shown everything hes got so hes not and annoying drummer its just maybe u think ur to good for him

Re: Travis Barker playing country

he was really out of place lol...made me lagh

couldn't they choose a different drummer for this gig?

Well ill guese i have my say, reguards to travis as a drummer i respect him only to the point that hes better then me, reguards to travis as a person (only judging from his tv show) he seems so egotistical, In the intro his is dubbed "The ultimate musician." Well thats rather debatable. But to my point, most of travis's audience are non-drummers, or a few drummers who maybe arnt that wel educated on the other forms a drumming. He knows how to impress his particular fan base, and i say good for him. Theres never going to be a person that everyone likes so if you know how the impress and entertain a group of people while entertaining yourself, go ahead and do it.

Chris182 said:
I think Travis is great drummer no matter what u guys say his technique or skill is being fast so what if he uses it in his solo at least he shows he can play really fast and really clean. He's also amazing by combining many rudiments cdombining different styles music.he knows what to do with his solos he does basso novaS anything he's showing he can do it all those drummers are great drummers too that u guys are talking about but u guys just have to under stand hes really good hes won many awards and that proofs it. so thats all i have to say Travis is amazing drummer I admire him for his quickness , style,everything he's done to this world.

The issue is not whether he can play fast and clean (since when was that a measure of a great drummer) of whether or not he's won loads of awards (for most part, awards are no measure of a good band, it's all BS). The main issue I personally have is with hero worship. Is Travis good? Yes, definately. But I think if he saw all the accolades his fans give him all the time he'd be more than embarassed.

If Dave Weckl saw the accolades his fans give him, do you think he'd be embarressed? People often say that drumming is not a competition, and your affinity for one drummers' 'style' over anothers' is a subjective thing. If that is the case, why should I, or anyone be 'embarressed' for thinking that Travis is one of my favourite drummers, and why should he be 'embarressed' for having that said about him. Weckl may be technically far superior, but I enjoy Travis's feel, and his own sort of creativity a lot more.

Lots of people often say 'yeah, Travis is good, but you need to keep it in perspective' - and I think that argument only works on the grounds of technicality (and Travis actually has very efficient technique) - if someone says Travis is their favourite drummer, I think it is unfair to just write them off as an idiot, or a inexperienced drummer.

sorry, I can't spell 'embarressed'

I'm not saying you should be embarassed for liking Travis. Far from it. I'm merely stating that Travis is as aware as the rest of us of his ability and to hear constant (and unrealistic) accolades as to his ability may cause him embarassment.

Re: Travis Barker playing country

i love travis but i think that hes creative enough to do something that would add a bit more to the song..
also i love the mohawk w/ the country ppl..

In my opinion his drumming on the last self titled Blink album was great. It was more groove oriented than his style on previous albums. You could tell he was thinking out side the box when coming up with those songs. It was totally creative but still acompanied the song perfect. thats the skill that i admire about him most. other drummers may have that skill as well but his approach and style to it is a unique sound that no one else has.

Right fair enuf he is a highly over rated drummer due to his teenage popularity. but could someone please list me, with evidence, of how he is a bad drummer? plus he does not go around thinking he is a good as drummer as some make him out to be, watch meet the barkers, read his interviews he just always talks about progressing or his influences that amze him. he isnt lik wow im the best.

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
I'm not saying you should be embarassed for liking Travis. Far from it. I'm merely stating that Travis is as aware as the rest of us of his ability and to hear constant (and unrealistic) accolades as to his ability may cause him embarassment.

this is probably the only reply you need to read in this thread

Back