top of the line drum models?

tamadrummer132

Silver Member
well iv been looking for anew drumset for a while now, and iv been searching ebay pretty regularly for a gretsch renown maple. but...to be honest..i want to broaden my horizons.

I'm not very familiar with any other brands then gretsch and tama (renows and starclassics..) and im not really sure which models to search for on ebay. pretty much any brand is fair game, but i need to know what are the high end (and 2nd to high end) models from like sonor, mapex, yamaha, ludwig, pearl, etc.

any help?

I would highly suggest looking into a Mapex Saturn.

The Saturn is equivalent in quality to a Starclassic, with a more friendly price tag. Pearl Masters are also in this price range for a smaller kit, also very solid drums.

Do you have a five star drum shop near you?

Sonor - SQ2, Delite, S Classix.......Yamaha - PHX, Maple Custom, Recording Custom, Absolute Series, Oak Custom.......Mapex - Orion, Saturn.....Pearl - Masterworks, Reference, Masters........Ludwig - Classic, Legacy, Vistalite

imho, sonor SQ2 are inarguably the best drums on the planet.
there is no-one on DW who has an SQ2 who is not completely in love with them

MEGA HEFTY price though.

Just to clarify, even though the title says top of the line drums, I think he's refering to something in the price range of the Grestch renowns. Obviously SQ2's and DW's are out of the picture.

Go to as many websites as possible, narrow down your search, then go look at the ones you really like in person. Start with your budget, then the features you want, then the color or wrap or stain and see what is out there. You don't have to buy from a website, but they make great wish books to look at. Visit the main drum websites and the websites that sell also. Gretschdrums.com does a good job of describing their drums, as do Tama, and Yamaha, PDP not so good. Good luck.

Sonor - SQ2, Delite, S Classix.......Yamaha - PHX, Maple Custom, Recording Custom, Absolute Series, Oak Custom.......Mapex - Orion, Saturn.....Pearl - Masterworks, Reference, Masters........Ludwig - Classic, Legacy, Vistalite

Harry's got em all. Hey, I tried a Mapex Orion last week.. not half bad at all! took me by surprise.

...new drumset ...searching ebay ..broaden my horizons.

... ebay
So, how much cash do you want to splash? My research (fairly current) shows Yamaha Recording Custom 22, 12, 13, 16 w/snare $790. (All my prices include shipping).....Yamaha Recording Custom 22, 12, 13, 16 w/snare $900.........Gretsch Renown 22, 8, 10, 12, 14 $836.........DW $900-2350 (several auctions included in those figures) It is indeed a buyers market.

Back