Drum track - guess the song part 2!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Since my other challenge was so deliciously tantalyzing, here's another to tempt you!

The only hints I will give is that this is from a hit song (nothing obscure,) and the excerpt is from a verse into a b-section that serves as the chorus... kinda. Maybe that's not so helpful, so forget I mentioned it. But you'll either recognize it immediately, or not at all.

I'll send the first correct guesser Rip Masters' new CD, Bare Knuckle Piano. Rip and I have worked together since 1981, and it's a chance to hear me play some Americana-type stuff I don't get to do with Weird Al. I'm on 12 of the 18 tracks, and DJ Bonebrake (from X) is on the others.

Here ya go, good luck!

Attachments

• mystery_drums2.mp3
    381.1 KB · Views: 492
"50 Ways To Leave Your Lover"- Paul Simon
This thread was so interesting, I literally had to register to guess! Been lurking for a few years already, and love the forum.

That? No.

no20no20no20no20

That's a really cool drum part. Could be Steve Gadd, but I don't where to begin looking for it... It's driving me crazy because I know I've heard that hi-hat thing at the end and can just almost but not quite hear what song it belongs to...

I keep thinking it's a Toto hit with Jeff Pocaro.

But all Toto hits had actual choruses, which goes against the hint, and usually a tom fill of some sort between sections, which isn't present in the clip.

Bermuda, are these the actual drum tracks taken from the original recordings?

Yep, these are the actual drum tracks.

That's a really cool drum part. Could be Steve Gadd, but I don't where to begin looking for it... It's driving me crazy because I know I've heard that hi-hat thing at the end and can just almost but not quite hear what song it belongs to...

Gadd was my first though too... I Wiki'd him to find songs he's done work on - (obviously), waaaay to many to narrow down...

The recording itself leans towards a more modern sound than the last recording, I'd guess it could be anything 1980 and above.

drummervancamper - you just into camping, or do you have a b-class as well?

I'm enjoying the speculation, although I really thought this one would be easier, it's a fairly unique part.

Don't think too hard about the clip, just let it play in your head and it will come to you.

Bermuda

Hmm, that advice changes things ... would it be Toto's Africa? That's the only hit I can think of with that pulse.

But there's cowbell and Jeff uses sticks as well ...

I know what this is and I can't think of it, it's really killing me!!!!

Well, I need to give a little direction on this, if only to save everyone the agony of trying to figure out which Gadd or Porcaro track it is; it's not either of them. You probably haven't heard of this drummer before.

Bermuda

Back