Recording Custom 14 x 8 Snare Drum

sdrum177

Hey everyone
Need some information please. I have an opportunity to pick up a 14X8 recording custom 9000 snare drum with a pretty good price
Basically I am new to Yamaha drums. But off curse I am familiar with R.C. reputation and what is attracting me here is the 14X8 size
Can you please share your thoughts on this snare and may be if you have a link to its specification. I noticed that it has some different snare release handle and some metal bridge underneath... can it cause some problems with placing it on a stand? Also, do you know how tick is the wood shell?

Thanks a lot in advance, here some pics of it (not mine yet... :) )

Attachments

• IMG_18697110418511.jpeg
    IMG_18697110418511.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,364
  • IMG_18709348434600.jpeg
    IMG_18709348434600.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 3,523
  • IMG_18701695470430-1.jpeg
    IMG_18701695470430-1.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 2,729
Re: Yamaha Recording Custom 14X8 Snare drum

Repeat this over and over....google is my friend,google is my friend.....

Your snare is 8 plys of 100% BIRCH,not maple(I say this because of the fixation of some younger players ,falsly believing if it ain't maple,then it's no good),and it also has no snare beds,hence the extended snare wires.No catalog I have has the shell thickness,but if you simply take the heads off,you can measure it for yourself.

If by the snare release handle,you mean the strainer/throw off,,yes it's different on that model from other Yamaha snares.Your drum looks late 80's vintage,and is an excellent snare,similar to the Tama Superstar,Grandstar,artstar of similar vintage,which came with diecast hoops.

Steve B

Last edited:

not to be a wet blanket, because i LOVE yamaha drums. but the snares from that era never did thrill me except when tuned low for FAT BACK. i had a 14 x 6.5 RC bought in '88 to match my '88 tour custom kit. i think the RC snare lasted a year before i sold it...just had a very bland, uninspiring voice.

not to be a wet blanket, because i LOVE yamaha drums. but the snares from that era never did thrill me except when tuned low for FAT BACK. i had a 14 x 6.5 RC bought in '88 to match my '88 tour custom kit. i think the RC snare lasted a year before i sold it...just had a very bland, uninspiring voice.

The Tour Customs from that era,had birch/mahogany shells,and were great sounding drums.

Steve B

My Yamaha catalog (1997) says 6-ply, 6mm shell.

It'll sit on a regular snare stand just fine. I think the original Yamaha 900 stands are sized (short) for this drum. The 8" has a taller, but essentially same strainer as Yamaha's piccolo snares from the same era.

I think they have a distinctive sound. There's a video on YouTube that I think is fairly accurate - at least that's how mine sounds. I don't think it's a very versatile snare drum but if you're adding it to a collection and it's cheap, go for it.

not to be a wet blanket, because i LOVE yamaha drums. but the snares from that era never did thrill me .

Nor did they thrill most people.

Even in the 80's when Yamaha RCs' were selling like hotcakes, it was rare anyone bought the matching snare.

My Yamaha catalog (1997) says 6-ply, 6mm shell.

And the 86-87 catalog,with that exact drum,size, long lugs,finish,badge in the 9000 series says 8 ply 100% birch.I guess we'll see when and if he gets the drums....:)

Steve B

Wow Guys. thanks a lot for taking the time and reply with such practical and interesting answer. it defenetley shed some light on the issue.
I understand that this snare is not like for example the "black beauty" which personaly I don't quiet understand the big rush for it, but rather a unique one.
Now I am thinking about what DrumEatDrum and Double_G said.... it defenetley troghuo me a bit off track :) but I think I will give it a try.
wht's appealing for me here besides that this is a RC the fact that it's 8" deep. I always wanted to add to my small arsenal an 8" snare.
basically I am playing on pearl drums. have two amazing snares one is the Masters MCX 14X6.4 with reenfosment rings, and the other is Pearl signature Steve ferrone 14X6.4 Discontinued. I had for a small period of the Tama Hyperdrive set with it's original 14X5.5 Birch shell Snare. Have to say that I felt always that I need more body. I think besides the dfact that it was 5.5" deep the birch shell also prevented from it to open up...
that's why I think in this case wont be a problem :)
OK hope I wont be disappointed...

Even though the snare in the pic has RC style lugs I don't think it was part of the RC line. The RC snares had "box" type lugs. This may have been one of the concert series snares even though the shell and throwoff/butt are the same as used in the RCs.

I have quite a few deep snares (up to 14" deep) and they can often have more "authority". An 8" snare may sit too high on a snare stand to be comfortable when playing.

Even though the snare in the pic has RC style lugs I don't think it was part of the RC line. The RC snares had "box" type lugs. This may have been one of the concert series snares even though the shell and throwoff/butt are the same as used in the RCs.

I have quite a few deep snares (up to 14" deep) and they can often have more "authority". An 8" snare may sit too high on a snare stand to be comfortable when playing.

Thanks Man
Don't quiet understand what would be the reason to make a snare drum which looks different (box type lugs) from the RC line?! it just logical that the snare from the same line would have the same types of lugs, isn't it?!

For the 8" deep version, Yamaha didn't use the box lugs.

Yamaha used the same lugs as an 8" tom on the 8" deep snare.

If I was to buy snare from a RC snare the 80's/90's it would probably be a 7x14 to get that classic sound so well known from that era. For an 8" deep shell it would most definitely be a Ludwig Coliseum or a Sonor beech.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

And I just moved this whole lot to the DRUMS section. Please watch your postings. Thanks.

That drum was 100% part of the RC line, although Yamaha stopped making the RC snares long ago. They continued on with the toms and kick drums. The wood shelled snares were offered in 5, 6.5, 7 and 8" versions. The 5 and 6.5 had the shorter box lug. The 7 had the longer box lug. The 8 had the lugs shown in the pics - the same lug that was used on the rack toms 8-13" diameter. The longer box lug also appeared on the original 9000 Series "Real Wood" snares in the 6.5 version, but that changed to the smaller box lug on the lacquered 6.5" snares.

All RC toms and snares were 6 ply. The kick drums were 7 ply. I have the 7" RC snare and actually really like it. It does have that fat sound, and does it well.

That drum was 100% part of the RC line, although Yamaha stopped making the RC snares long ago. They continued on with the toms and kick drums. The wood shelled snares were offered in 5, 6.5, 7 and 8" versions. The 5 and 6.5 had the shorter box lug. The 7 had the longer box lug. The 8 had the lugs shown in the pics - the same lug that was used on the rack toms 8-13" diameter. The longer box lug also appeared on the original 9000 Series "Real Wood" snares in the 6.5 version, but that changed to the smaller box lug on the lacquered 6.5" snares.

All RC toms and snares were 6 ply. The kick drums were 7 ply. I have the 7" RC snare and actually really like it. It does have that fat sound, and does it well.

Thanks a lot for the info.
Do you Know if this Stage White Finish on this snare is a lacquer or wrap?

Back