PS3 does not fit properly on my Gretsch Catalina Jazz 18" kick (Version 2014)

ydalen

Hi
Just bought a new PS3 head for my new 18" Gretsch Cataline Club Jazz kit. Problem is that PS3 does not fit properly inside the kickdrum hoop, so tuning becomes very difficult. There is a little extra edge on PS3 ( see pictures). The original head does not have that edge. The kickdrum hoop also seems a bit thick.
Has anyone else here had this experience with this ?

Start thinking that a Evans head might fit better.
Any tip?

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 335
Re: PS3 does not fit properly on my Gretsch Catlalina Jazz 18"kick ( Version 2014)

Hi
Just bought a new PS3 head for my new 18" Gretsch Cataline Club Jazz kit. Problem is that PS3 does not fit properly inside the kickdrum hoop, so tuning becomes very difficult. There is a little extra edge on PS3 ( see pictures). The original head does not have that edge. The kickdrum hoop also seems a bit thick.
Has anyone else here had this experience with this ?

Start thinking that a Evans head might fit better.
Any tip?

I've noticed that Remo heads are a slightly tighter fit on the Catalina shells. It's not like they hug the bearing edge, but they rest less naturally on them, as if they were lopsided. It's akward enough that I now use Evans although I've always used Remo in the past.

I have an Evans EQ4 on the kick. Sounds good, just as good as a Powerstroke. What's really nice about the EQ4 is that the dampening ring is smaller than on the Powerstroke. It's proportional to the size of the head so a small kickdrum won't sound overdampened.

Last edited:
Re: PS3 does not fit properly on my Gretsch Catlalina Jazz 18"kick ( Version 2014)

Looks like you bought a standard 18" PS3 mate. You'll need to get a dedicated 18" PS3 Bass drum head. They are designed slightly different to accommodate the flat collar on the hoop.

FWIW, I have a Catalina maple kit. There's nothing wrong with Remo heads fitting Cats at all. You simply bought the wrong head.

Note on this page: http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/50/164/co_powerstroke3.html?type=Bass

Where it says "Model Types" there's a link for "Bass" and a link for "Snare/Tom - Batter and Resonant". You need the one for "Bass". I'll bet you London to a brick it's not the one you've got. Why is everyone's first instinct to blame a Remo drum head?

Hi
It´s the right head, PS3 Kick version. Think I'd rather have to try an Evans type head and see if it will fit better, maybe an EQ4

Attachments

• bilde.JPG
    bilde.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 250
You could return it for an exchange and see if it's just a bad head? I had a 20" Evans EMAD2 that simply would NOT fit my kick drum no matter what. I contacted Evans and they shipped me a replacement and asked for me to ship back the original one so they could check out the fault.

I have used PS3 on my Dw Collector kick and it fits perfectly. But the hoops on dw drum is much thinner so it does not come in contact with the extra small edge. The hoops on my Gretsch CCJ is much thicker than dw's so I think that's the problem.

Hi
It´s the right head, PS3 Kick version.

So it is. Well bugger me!!

I'm looking at a coated PS3 right now mate and the profile at the side is a lot flatter and the metal collar much more square shaped than the one in your pic. I wonder if it's been mislabelled? To me it sure looks like a regular head......certainly different looking from the 22" version I have here in front of me.

I'd take it back and ask to have a look at some others. They should be much flatter in order to fit the wooden hoop.......at least they used to be.

If you decide to exchange the Remo for Evans, the EQ4 is excellent.
I just bought one last week. I also use and like PS3 heads.

If you decide to exchange the Remo for Evans, the EQ4 is excellent.
I just bought one last week. I also use and like PS3 heads.

I will probably try a EQ4 head, do you use coated or the clear? The Norwegian importer was out of stock so I'll probably wait a while.

I will probably try a EQ4 head, do you use coated or the clear? The Norwegian importer was out of stock so I'll probably wait a while.
I have the frosted style. It fit my early 50's Gretsch really nice. Here is a sound sample. http://youtu.be/2p1TwgZNjdU
All of the specs of the kit are listed in the video description. If a head fits an antique Gretsch drum it will fit any modern drum.

I had this same problem on my 20" Club Date. It's definitely a Remo problem. But I tightened it down and got it working. Sounded just fine after it stretched out. But yeah, next time it'll be an Emad. Remo needs to address these seating problems.

That's bizarre. I don't have an 18" PS3 to compare, but I checked a spare 24" I have and it doesn't have that weird step in the collar. Remo collars are definitely deeper and of a different contour than some other brands, but I've never seen that little step. I almost think it might be a defect, somehow.

Back