Jeff Porcaro

New fave Jeff track: 'When I loose my way' -Randy Craford, Secret Combination. Amazing slow shuffle and lovely hat/snare work.

Tim

So much said already...

The man is and always will be a legend.

I had the distinct pleasure and also misfortune to have played drums with Jeff in high school in Los Angeles. I say misfortune because he got me booted from a couple of the bands I was playing in when it became apparent that he was far more talented than I.

We played often in his father's garage which had been set up as a studio. At one point I had made recordings of the band on my Teac R-R but have lost these over the years.

I know he is most well known for impeccable session work and groove but back in the the early days he showed amazing chops and was quite a bit wilder and less inhibited than session work demands.

I especially remember the band doing Take Me to the Pilot to which Jeff added bass drum triplets similar to Bonham on Good Times.

Porcaro is one of my all-time favorite drummers. Immense groove and he used his chops to enhance the musicality of the songs. Miss him.

I'm a guitarist but to me Jeff Porcaro is one of the finest drummers but more importantly musicians ever. He had an incredibly unique feel and groove and so importantly he played for the song. Listening to Jeff is something akin to a religious experience for me. I was listening to Dire Straits "On every Street" CD today and i'm not ashamed to say Jeff's incredible talent moved me to tears.

rare songs with some of JEFFs finest drumming:

- herb alpert: cat man do
- elton john: all quiet on the western front
- mari hamada: 999 - one more reason
- hugh harris: rhythm of life
- nathalie cole: miss you like crazy
- eric clapton: see what loce can do
- felix calaviere: stay in love
- kadomatsu oda: 1985
- sergio mendes: take this love
- sergi mendes: kalimba
- bill meyers: perfect crime
- liason: when the kingdom comes down
- eikichi yazawa: rock you high
- fee waybill: caribbean sunsets

an some rare albums:

- kazu matsui project: time no longer
- yuki katsuragi: LA spirits
- stan getz: apasionado
- les dudek: deeper shades of blues
- luis conte: black forest
- yves choir: by prescreption only
- david benoit: shadows
- david benoit: freedom at midnight
- ryo okumoto: makin` rock
- bill labounty: s/t
- love and money - strange kind of love
- greg mathieson project - baked potato super live

I'm a guitarist but to me Jeff Porcaro is one of the finest drummers but more importantly musicians ever. He had an incredibly unique feel and groove and so importantly he played for the song. Listening to Jeff is something akin to a religious experience for me. I was listening to Dire Straits "On every Street" CD today and i'm not ashamed to say Jeff's incredible talent moved me to tears.

Your not the first non-drummer I've heard say that Jeff is their favourite MUSICIAN, not just drummer :)

Been listening to close to all of TOTO`s albums lately and it strikes me how important it is to make the young drummers of today aware of Jeff Porcaro and his incredibly deeply felt pocket and feel, before they get sucked into the world of Joey Jordison and Travis Barker. No offence. Jeff was the ultimate drummer. A true cat with a deeelish groove.

Here`s to you Jeff.

I was introduced to Porcaro's drumming in 1979 when I bought the first Toto album, a couple years before I started playing drums. The song Hold the Line is one of my favorites, and was sort of a theme song between me and my high school sweetheart at the time. Still love the rockin' groove of that song and many other Toto songs to this day. Other favorites of mine are Roseanna and Africa. I also love the stuff he did with Steely Dan, and Boz's Lido is one of my favorite songs due to the drums.

I bought a recent concert DVD of Toto, but unfortunately it was long after his death, although his brother still plays with the band.

Hey Guys, It's always nice to see compliments on Jeff Pocaro.
'when i need you' Leo Sayer.. At first listen. you could be foregiven for falling alseep. But try playing it with a band, It's a serious drum track.

2nd 'New york minute' Don Henley. Don goes and hires Jeff to lay the drum track. another great drum track.

3rd 'Randy Crawford' Rio de Janeiro blues' The classic Jeff kicking a track along, giving the song lift and the vocalist goose bumps.
I loved the guy so god dam much, That i even named my eldest boy after the man.

Hi, I have just clicked on the top youtube link and I am pretty sure Graham Broad is the drummer here -

What in the world is with the dancer dude up front? As if the band's costumes weren't bizarre enough....

This man is one of the greatest drummers ever! He is in my top 5 that as soon as I hear him play a note, and it can be on anything, I'll want to jump behind my kit and start playing. Because Jeff Porcaro was a main commoditity in the drumming world, his discography is amazing. From playing with Toto to Boz Scaggs, Steely Dan to Michael McDonald, even David Benoit. The list keeps going. An amazing drummer who went before his time. And as I write this, I still can belive it will be 20 years since he passed away. I truly miss Jeff and there needs to be memorial concert done for him, to celebrate his drumming and his music! If we can do one every year for Buddy Rich, why not for the studio great, the master of the groove, Jeff Porcaro. How proud Jeff would be if we were to do something for him like that.

Back