Sonor Prolite shell thickenss

TheFDrummer

Hi!

I am considering buying a new drum and ProLite (maple) is what I like. I did not try them out because there is no local store that has them.

I will be using the drum on live gigs and for recording.

I would like to know if shell thickness of prolites could be a problem (pro lite has extra thin shells...4mm on toms and 6mm on bass drum) for playing hard rock like acdc. I mostly have miced drums all the time unless the venue is really small.

I think that ideally for me would be SQ2 with heavy shell on bass, and medium on toms but its too expensive.

I play different styles and I think that for other generes prolites are good, but shell thickness is so small for rock. Maybe I am too paranoid :)

I would not get the Prolite.

Get the ones you want............ BUT.. the way to do it is get one of the Inifinite series kits from Sonor. They have the thicknesses you want and are like a third of the price of an SQ2. You just have to search around for the nice black one.. instead of the Crayola colored ones.. hehe

This thin shell can't project nonsense is just that. Though I haven't gigged with them, my thin-shelled Tama Star bubinga kit is plenty loud for rock. Saw Gavin Harrison play a Sonor Lite kit at a clinic that was thunderous.

If they are going to be exclusively mic'd and you never ever care about rehearsals without mic's etc........... then no prob...........

BUT.......... The Infinites are still cheaper than Prolites and IMO sound better.

My kit is super thin 5 plies, 5/32" which is 3.3 in mm. It is extremely good for hard rock and metal. Where did you get the idea that thin shells are not good for rock?

My kit is super thin 5 plies, 5/32" which is 3.3 in mm. It is extremely good for hard rock and metal. Where did you get the idea that thin shells are not good for rock?

yes that is a good question. My ProLites have no problem cutting through and record really well.

I spent some time with prolites recently, they project nicely, I don't know if I'd spend the money though, I liked them but I wouldn't drop 4k on them.

Back