The old Pearl Exports??

Regarding the ISS mounts, why not make 'em a DIY project and just install the brackets on the two rack toms? And then put legs on that 14" drum. You'll be glad you did.

I agree on the ISS mounts, not a very sound mounting method. It works if you don't mind sacrificing the hoops.

One kit I played had 1.6mm hoops and had warped the hoops so much the kit couldn't be tuned. Major oversight there.
Well yes, on 1.6mm hoops, it's just asking for it :(

Thanks to the OEM mfg that they use for those in China.
I can't speculate as to the reasons why those edges were so bad, but to balance out your theory, amongst the worst edges I've seen this year were featured on a flagship model snare assembled in the USA by a well known American maker. Those edges were beyond belief bad - like someone cut 4 snare beds on both batter & resonant side bad! Horrible quality screws & fixings too.

I can't speculate as to the reasons why those edges were so bad, but to balance out your theory, amongst the worst edges I've seen this year were featured on a flagship model snare assembled in the USA by a well known American maker. .

I hear you........ what I was pointing out is the actual Pearl factory in Taiwan.. honestly I have NEVER seen anything screwed up from them. Their china counterpart who makes those Visions and the new Exports.. Yes.. , I have seen the flaws coming from there.

... would the old Exports be good for a couple of years?
Treat them well, and they should last you a long, long, time.​
As others have stated, the ISS mounts are not so great. Many ways to fix/work around those, however. Personally, I went with Gauger Rims. Once you buy them, you've got them for life. I have mine coupled to Yamaha tom mounts.​

Would you say the same thing about these because of the hanging floor tom with ISS?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111415797301

Oh yes. Pearl later went to the OptiMount on their higher-end drums because of the general dislike folks had for their ISS mounting system. These drums in your link either predate that change, or were retrofitted with ISS.

I would not buy any drum fitted with ISS, and I especially would not buy a 14" hanging tom with an ISS mount.

Oh yes. Pearl later went to the OptiMount on their higher-end drums because of the general dislike folks had for their ISS mounting system. These drums in your link either predate that change, or were retrofitted with ISS.

I would not buy any drum fitted with ISS, and I especially would not buy a 14" hanging tom with an ISS mount.

Well, you could buy them, just change out the mounts. The drums are good. The mounts are bad.

Well, you could buy them, just change out the mounts. The drums are good. The mounts are bad.

All you need for the floor tom is an hour, a drill and some skill. Some floor tom legs would be helpful, too. 14" for an ISS mount is asking for trouble, frankly. The drums are very good, the mounts are bad.

$400 for the 'Session' kit is very good. I would just be thinking of options on those mounts. The shells are great.

Yep, get some brackets and legs for the floor tom, then get some generic RIMS mounts on eBay for the other two toms, and install the Pearl brackets on those. You'll be much happier.

Personally, I'd save the money on the RIMS mounts and just drill the two toms and mount the brackets directly to the drum - totally old skool. It'll save money, save weight, and you'll learn how to tune your drums to sing regardless of the mounting system ;)

Yep, get some brackets and legs for the floor tom, then get some generic RIMS mounts on eBay for the other two toms, and install the Pearl brackets on those. You'll be much happier.

Personally, I'd save the money on the RIMS mounts and just drill the two toms and mount the brackets directly to the drum - totally old skool. It'll save money, save weight, and you'll learn how to tune your drums to sing regardless of the mounting system ;)

Yeah, good point. Didn't even look at the price. But yes, ISS = crap.

Would you say the same thing about these because of the hanging floor tom with ISS?
If you notice, ISS suspends the drum from the rim, between only two lugs. That puts a lot of torque on just that one small area of the rim. A RIMS (or derivative) will suspend the drum at four points, along the top rim. The Pearl Optimount also uses 4 point attachment, though it's two top and two lower. But it's a much better system than ISS. Which is why Pearl puts 'em on their high end drums.​

I still play my '92 Export Pro often. No ISS (thankfully) and it has the birch inner ply and a shallower bass drum (22x16). The only thing that sucks about it is the metal bass drum hoops. They get out of round pretty easily, but it's simple to buy some nice wood bass hoops as replacements.

Baring edges are great (Taiwanese made like Artstar said) and the drums sing in their sweet spot. They choke pretty quickly at high tunings (limited tuning range), but I still love their sound. It's hard for me to walk into a drum store and hear something I find obviously better until I get into higher end kits.

I have a 1992 one and have had it since i was 7 and i am 14 now. And i expect it to last me a long time. It was given to me used in very good condition.

Welcome to DrummerWorld, James. It's good to have some younger guys coming aboard.

You'll have to keep an eye on the dates of the threads you choose to reply to. This one is four years old.

How about doing an introduction thread telling us about yourself, your drumming interests, and pictures of your kit?

Again, welcome aboard!

GeeDeeEmm

Thrashed my old Export's around the world for 25 years. Been thrown off stage, down stairs, in & out of vans. 1000's of gigs & never broke, or let me down once. Indestructible drums & sound great with good heads & tuning.

Back