Metal vs. Metal (Snare drums)

I read this interesting thread; I've recorded most of the snares I've owned (sadly, I don't have one of my Black Beauty, which I traded for my Hammered Bronze) and I built a playlist on YouTube. Mostly Ludwig --- COB Chrome over Brass, Hammered Bronze, Ludalloy, Supraphonics, Acrolites, and some vintage others -- Slingerland and Rogers -- so here's a link to the videos if anyone is interested... These were recorded with Zoom Q3 condensor recorders (a fantastic little recorder).

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCD3026A18709BF91

Last edited:
I recently picked up a 6.5 x 14 DW Black Nickel Over Brass snare. It is quite different from their heavy 3 mm brass snare. The BNOB is a 1 mm rolled shell with 3 mm True Hoops. Other features include stainless steel T rods, mag. throw & 3P butt plate. I believe it's one of the, if not most affordable Collector's Series snares in the line-up (I paid $399US). IMO its got a low, fat tone, pleasant overtone and versatile tuning range.

IMG_3105.jpg

Id go with a steel snare.... Nothing wrong with brass shells...in my opinion some tend to sound a little muddy and warm but that's just personal preference. Iv'e been using a Pearl Sensitone brass and just switched back over to my Yamaha steel shell.

I recently picked up a 6.5 x 14 DW Black Nickel Over Brass snare. It is quite different from their heavy 3 mm brass snare. The BNOB is a 1 mm rolled shell with 3 mm True Hoops. Other features include stainless steel T rods, mag. throw & 3P butt plate. I believe it's one of the, if not most affordable Collector's Series snares in the line-up (I paid $399US). IMO its got a low, fat tone, pleasant overtone and versatile tuning range.

IMG_3105.jpg

Nice looking drum Fish!

Reading this thread reminded me that I have a Tama Bronze 14x6,5 snare for a year and I still haven't tried it the proper way :/ I just assembled it, tried some quiet hits and... Back in the closet. But it's time is gonna come haha

I have owned Bronze ( smooth and hammered), steel and aluminum and I always come back to brass shell snare drums. My favourite are the two pictured. 5 x 14 Engraved Ludwig Black Beauty and a COB 6.5 x14 Ludwig Supraphonic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 930
yeah mate! i just bought a new acro ludwig and was expecting an orgasm, but when i lined it up to my pearl cob with superhoops and all, my gut dropped! the pearl sounds way better! then again the acro has a cetain sound to it too that is sweet
Ian - that's really good info. You obviously know your metal snares. I too am a metal snare guy. I think it's interesting that your ears can't make out a significant difference between the Black Beauty and the Pork Pie BB, which is as I suspected. Actually, to do that comparison apples to apples though, you'd have to strip away the good hardware attached to the Pork Pie!

Along those same lines, comparing an aluminum Supra to the aluminum Sensitone, I think the Pearl is a much better value. The Supra's ship standard with 1.6mm hoops, the cheapest wires possible, a laughable P-85 strainer, and sub-standard stock heads. The Sensitones, on the other hand, ship standard with 2.3mm Superhoops, Pearl's version of PureSounds, a decent strainer, and Remo Ambassadors. To make these upgrades to the Ludwig will cost another $100, and that's just to get it up to scratch with the Sensitone.

Even an Acrolite goes for $307 new vs. $243 new for the Pearl (both 6.5x14) and you'd still have to add that 100 bucks to get the Acro up to par.

I've never been huge fan of Pearl, but those Sensitones are a great deal. Plus, along with the brass and aluminum, they also come in Steel, Stainless Steel, and Bronze.

Hi guys! Does anyone know who can make me a custom bronze shell? I'm after a certain thickness and size, possibly hammering (not sure yet), but I can't find a place to ask for it. :'(

Back