Has this every happened to you?

evolving_machine

Silver Member

Last week I was practicing my single stroke rolls, doing 32nd notes with the metronome. I use an old Franz model LM-FB-4. It is the plastic phenolic case with the light on top. It has a button in the back that allows a silent mode. The metronome has speeds from 40 beats per minute to 208 beats per minute. I slowly increased the speed from 40 to 60, increasing the speed using increments of 20 until I got to 200. I counted out 20 quarter note measure for each speed. I counted out the last 20 quarter note measures playing 32nd notes at 200 beats per minute and on the last measure I dropped one of my sticks. I stood up to try to find the stick and I could not find it. I have no idea where the stick went to. It really bothered me, since it should be somewhere in my practice room.

Today I went through the same exercise for the single stroke rolls. I finished my workout, again at 200 beats per minute doing 32nd notes and 20 measures. Again, I dropped the stick after the 20th measure. I can not figure out where the second lost drum stick went to either.

This may sound very strange but, is it possible that I created some sort of dimensional portal? Has this ever happened to any of you? I wonder if I am able to find the opening through the portal that I will find an endless supply of drum sticks.

Never happened to me, but then again I've never played 32nd singles at 200bpm either. The thing was officially traveling at light speed......it could've ended up anywhere.....check the Andromeda Galaxy.

However if you happen to find it, be sure and check that all my missing socks aren't lying there with it, will you? God knows where they get to, but I'll wager they're stuffed in the same portal as your sticks.

EDIT, beaten to the punch line by The Prof, I see!

I would love to see video of you playing 32nd notes at a 200 bpm quarter

I would bet my house that is not what you are doing

On topic: No, nevery. Nevery every. ;-)

As for breakneck speed: 32nd @ 200 is nuts indeed. I've seen Bill Bachman doing the double stroke roll @ 180 (in his pad improvisation video).
And that drummer from Henker plays around that speed on double bass but he's using a quad pedal setup, haha.

Well, happens to me all the time. Tuning keys, sticks, the lot. I'm tuning a drum, put the tuning key away (this means just drop it) and I cannot remember what I did with it. I usually find it a few days later. Don't know about the time portal though.

When I get my gospel chops going that fast, my sticks turn into serpents.

And then they eat each other.

I would love to see video of you playing 32nd notes at a 200 bpm quarter

I would bet my house that is not what you are doing

16ths at 200, or 800 bpm is a very respectable SSR. 32nd notes would be 1600 bpm, a world record.

I thought I was the best at dropping and losing things but I obviously have some competition.

I'm convinced that all the stuff I ever lost is in the Mariana Trench.

You never lost that stick.
Your hands are so fast that you were actually doing 200 beats per minute with 32nd notes with only one stick.

Last week I was practicing my single stroke rolls, doing 32nd notes with the metronome. I use an old Franz model LM-FB-4. It is the plastic phenolic case with the light on top. It has a button in the back that allows a silent mode. The metronome has speeds from 40 beats per minute to 208 beats per minute. I slowly increased the speed from 40 to 60, increasing the speed using increments of 20 until I got to 200. I counted out 20 quarter note measure for each speed. I counted out the last 20 quarter note measures playing 32nd notes at 200 beats per minute and on the last measure I dropped one of my sticks. I stood up to try to find the stick and I could not find it. I have no idea where the stick went to. It really bothered me, since it should be somewhere in my practice room.

Today I went through the same exercise for the single stroke rolls. I finished my workout, again at 200 beats per minute doing 32nd notes and 20 measures. Again, I dropped the stick after the 20th measure. I can not figure out where the second lost drum stick went to either.

This may sound very strange but, is it possible that I created some sort of dimensional portal? Has this ever happened to any of you? I wonder if I am able to find the opening through the portal that I will find an endless supply of drum sticks.

Whatever you're doing, I seem to have a pile of sticks amassing in my corner. Want 'em back? (I wondered why there were so many stray sticks over there!)

Look under the kick drum. Seriously. Everything that hits the floor rolls under the kick drum. I found a friggin sandwich under there one time! j/k!

I am glad all of you have a good sense of humor, as well as the ability to recognize that I was kidding around.

Kidding around, I was wondering how you dropped a stick at such a modest tempo in the first place.

My money disappears in a similar fashion, except instead of while practicing, it usually happens while I'm at the drum shop.

Back