George Way snare...what type of wood is it????

617jammer63

I recently found a great deal on a snare that I love. A George Way "Studio" snare 6.5x 14.
The sound is phenomenal. HOWEVER...with all the queries I have done into the wood type all Im finding is " 4 ply electronic bonded reinforced...blah blah blah" can someone tell me what the heck that means? I just want to know what material is used...! Thanks

Also remember there is no such thing as Milkwood, Ronn is just a master of douchebaggery.

Milkwood is nothing more than Basswood. Professional woodworkers and drum builders have searched high and low to find out what this new mysterious Milkwood is. Yeah, no such thing.

Milkwood may refer to:

Plant species or genera
Alstonia, a widespread genus of evergreen trees and shrubs from the dogbane family Apocynaceae
Sideroxylon inerme, or White Milkwood of southern Africa, a member of the Sapotaceae
Tabernaemontana, a pan-tropical genus of 100-110 species of flowering plants in the family Apocynaceae
Trimeris, an endemic lobelioid from the island of St Helena

This is from the Dictionary of douchebaggery

I read an article where Ronn Dunnett says that he calls it Milkwood because he doesn't want to disclose what kind of wood it is. He says that he made it up and he just wants the wood type to be a mystery.

Nothing underhanded going on here, just hype and intrigue.

You could always email Ron and ask him. I inquired about the George Way Advance solid 1 ply maple snare and he replied within a day. FWIW the advance is 1/4 inch thick with 1/4 inch reenforcement hoop, 45 degree behring edge with a bull-nose on the outside. The snare sounds great and is my current favorite snare.

I have the same snare, and it sounds great.

At least Ronn gives the shell a name... many custom builders don't disclose that they use Keller shells. (BTW, the Geo Way snares are not Keller.)

Bermuda

Yeah, I saw that many customs were in fact Keller, which are so common, they are not really custom... if that makes any sense....

If you like the sound of it, why don't you just buy it? If it is quality you are concerned about, Ronn stands behind this product 100%.

For those of you with your Milkwood jabs, I don't really see your purpose but I do see his. He doesn't make his own shell in this instance and doesn't really want to give away what it is that partly makes his drum sound great. Even if he did make his own shell as I could be wrong here, how many clones could immediately follow? As in the case of TAMA's bubinga drums. I know I've seen more than a few companies offer some for of shell now that they popularized it. Fortunately for TAMA, they are large enough to fight off the imitators.

Yeah, I saw that many customs were in fact Keller, which are so common, they are not really custom... if that makes any sense....
Why does it not make them custom? Do they not build what the people request?

man, he makes incredible drums. Just get it if you like it. HELL, it could be made out of pine and if it sounded good, I could care less about the specifics of WHAT it was. Nobody else cares but other drum collectors anyway. It's the SOUND that matters.

I have an old student model ludwig from the 1930's that sold for 15 dollars. It's the sweetest snare I own. It's got some weird voodoo on it that just sounds too cool. It's feather light... probably crappy material by todays standards but it's just got a thing going on.

I have a beautiful 14"x5" Studio in white finish... I don't know what type of wood is used for the shell, but the sound is similar to the classic gretsch maple snares, with a lot of warmth and a bit of crack... However, can anyone tell me if the white finish is a lacquer or a "sparkle-pearl" finish?

Back