My new rock band

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
This thread has no real purpose except to tell all my good buds here about my newest main squeeze band, The JT Money Band. I did my first gig with them on 8/21/10 with no rehearsal except what we did at the audition. The gig went smooth with no trainwrecks and only a few noticeable missteps. Most of the songs were songs that I've never played before, but that I've heard hundreds of times. I got through them well enough, but they all need lots of adjusting.

I about died and went to heaven as far as how the others treat me in this band. There are 4 of us. Instrumentation-wise, it's a 3 piece, guitar, bass, drums and a lead singer who doesn't have the lead singer ego gene, I had him tested. He is the kind of guy who gives it his all, his notes fall short sometimes, but the rock and roll, give it all you got attitude carries him. His real strong point is that he entertains. He's good at gabbing on the mic and especially including the audience as a part of the show. We also go from song to song with no dead air in between. First band that I've been in that can do that...
They pick songs on the basis of how well known and danceable they are. When I heard that I fell to my knees and thanked my maker. (not really, but in my mind)

The guitarist, who was the guy who wanted me in initially...he used to play drums! What more could I ask for? He is so easy to latch on to because he has good timing! He is a fine rock player and he is constantly complimenting my playing! I am just as thrilled by his playing, so it's like a mutual admiration society. I am not used to being treated this well! Something's wrong! He is so easy going and not at all like the stereotypical guitar player mentality that we all know and love lol. How many times have you got a compliment from a guitar player?

The chick bassist...her rock solid groove masks any inaccuracies in her execution. It's a fun band that has little to no drama as far as I can tell. I recorded the first night. I have a lot of fine tuning to do. Slightly accelerated feels, 1 too many fills here and there, too loud at some parts....I went just a little nuts. I haven't been able to fill much in the last 7 years and I went and got a little cuckoo near the end of the night (4 sets) but I got it out of my system and am ready to really get inside these songs and nail the feels down.

I'm getting all kinds of props from the band spouses, like a welcoming commitee.
They even sent me a fruit basket! OK that was a fib but that's how they make me feel!

As if all that isn't enough, I get to play for rock crowds now. Rock crowds have the best looking women.
My karma has smiled upon me indeed...

Awesome Larry, That's the exact thread I wish I could start. Good luck.

And I thought high school was supposed to be the time of your life.

Sounds like a great set-up Larry! I envy you more than you know.

Good luck, godspeed, all that good stuff.

Many Congrats!!! Sounds like you found Nirvana (not the band, haha!!)

Congratulations, Larry! Nothing like playing with a group of people that makes everything enjoyable.

Congratulations Larry.

I'm so glad to hear that you've got a good vibe going with the new band mates.

All the best.

Will you post any audio clips from the first show?

Nice going, Larry. I'm on the hunt for a new band at the moment, and I think I may have found one, but the jury is still out. I hope I find a fruit basket or two! Congratulations!!

Edit: Just got the call that the bass player (who'd played drums and bass on their most recent recordings) has decided to keep possession of the drum chair. Now they're going to look for a bass player. Bummer. The search continues...

Last edited:
Will you post any audio clips from the first show?

OK. Against my better judgement, here's "Radar Love" and "The Immigrant Song". I major blundered on the 2nd chorus of Radar Love. I'm not proud of this, but this is my very first time with this tune.

Immigrant Song went OK I guess. Never played it before either.

Attachments

• Radar love.mp3
    6.6 MB · Views: 254
  • Immigrant song.mp3
    2.1 MB · Views: 244
Dude you rocked 'em both!!!

Radar love has one of the coolest drum breaks ever and you did a fine job!
didn't catch your blunder if that says anything:) I'll listen again...haha

Great job on Immigrant Song as well.
Thanks for sharing!
Very cool

Larry, happy to hear you sounding so happy about the band.

Holy krak, what a frikking monster groove on Immigrant Song???!!! wow! The songs a little different without the high pitched vocals, but you guys nailed it.
Radar Love sounded just as good, I actually liked the fills et all because they're all appropriate in the right places with the right touch.
Now I have to say this because you always wear it so lightly; You are a really good drummer. The kind of good you get when you play a lot with with other people for a long time, and that the good that for me is always a joy to listen to, be it blues, rock, jazz whatever..

And what a huge bonus to be playing with nice people that make you feel like you're getting fruit baskets! : )

Here's a glass of Chardonnay toasting that you keep getting fruit baskets for the rest of your life! ( Big Sip )

Last edited:
Well Larry, as you didn't completely rip me to pieces this time round, I'll throw you the same courtesy, lol!

Nah, just kidding, that was a stellar performance, especially considering how you've jumped in with both feet. Only a true pro can pull that sort of performance out of the bag without rehearsal. In all but earning status, you're a true pro Larry.

Agree with Abe, really nailed the feel on the Zep track. So nice to hear you giving those tubs a nice workout. It's good to be in the driving seat huh? As for the Golden Earring track, that's a bitch to nail first time out. Ok, the sticking's straight forward enough, but the little back skip & dynamic take some getting into your head. I was especially impressed with how naturally you feed the kick doubles in on that. I love the organic ghosting of well placed doubles on a single pedal (bet you do a mean bossanova!).

Anyhow, great to hear you're well received by the band & entourage. Good to hear you getting fuzzy over something new Larry. Makes a change from bitching guitarists walking off because the sax stole the show! Congratulations my friend.

Larry, thanks for the memories. I LOVED Radar Love back in the Neolithic Era. Bloody ridiculous now that I think about it ... I mean, what really is "Radar Love"?? Bonking on big radar dish and being fried with gamma rays or whatnot? Never mind, it's like horror movies, you have to suspend belief to get it ... that probably sums up three-quarters of rock songs haha

Agree with Andy ... super impressed for a first-up effort. You handled anything that came you way with some to spare - the Radar Love fills and rhythmic changes, the Immigrant Song kick pattern. Grooved like crazy. I expect the band can't believe their luck. I bet that you're sweating twice as much as with the blues bands :)

Have to admit that I prefer BB - lurve that smooth blues groove. I would have liked to have heard a keys players at times and for the vocalist to smooth out his rough edges, but the band rocks out great, especially for such a new outfit.

Last edited:
Playing with an "ego free" band that plays for the audience and not other musicians is a good way to stay employed. Listening to Radar Love right now. Can't stop smiling. Pretty fly for a white guy!

Agree with that.

Just imagine, you're auditioning and you find a drummer who is dedicated to correct tempo, playing with taste and keeping volume appropriate ... he picks up everything quickly and on top of that can deal with anything thrown at him ... AND has no attitude.

Rare as hen's teeth ... at least in the non-pro world.

Congrats Larry! The tunes sound great!

I must say though, the guys in my band did give me a fruit basket.

Even though I paid them for being my band.....damn.

You better buy them good christmas gifts, thats all i can say! this sounds like a drummers dream. One that wont come true for me, at least for now. My lead singer thinks he's Brandon Boyd, our guitarist thinks he's slash - which he uses as a valid excuse for falling in and out of time.

Have to admit that I prefer BB - lurve that smooth blues groove. I would have liked to have heard a keys players at times and for the vocalist to smooth out his rough edges, but the band rocks out great, especially for such a new outfit.

Yea Pol BB is a much more refined sound. BB is champagne, JT Money is a 6 pack of brewskis. If I had to pick only one....tough but JT for the fun factor. Women dancing is the difference. Playing for a bunch of dudes is only so stimulating...been there done that. I want fun now!

absolutely no flaws!!

Time for a hearing checkup? LOL thanks man but there are flaws and at least a dozen things need adjusting. I don't like how I blended, I thought I was a little too loud, and a little unsure of some of the feels and arrangements, need to tune the snare different for this band, but time will smooth things out. I need to play the songs with this band for a few months and things should settle in nicely

What kind of snare are you using? It sounds great. IMO I noticed it in some of your older recordings also.

It's a Pearl Eric Singer Signature snare. 6.5 x 14, 10 ply maple, very thick, nearly an inch. I need to tune it a little lower for rock. I wasn't happy with the recorded tone at all.

A big huge thanks to EVERYONE for their support and kind words.
Hopefully I will have some great gig stories with this band. Rock crowds are just way more fun than blues crowds.

Back