how to make your own internal mic system.

neat. but what is up with the inside surface of your drum?

j

I think you're familiar with the kit, which is solid shell ironwood from www.spiritdrums.com. They carve the inside of each drum with these patterns to hold the sound in the drum longer, increasing the overtones and complexity. The same thing is done with traditionally made djembes. Most drums are smooth inside, but there are reasons for texturing the inside.

Nutha, it sounds like you make a lot of your own stuff. I like to weld, bend and thread metal and make my own mounts and stands. I think it would be neat to have a thread on custom/homemade/DIY/modified hardware - let me get some photos together of stuff I have made.

www.terrasonus.com

ironwood drum set at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18719

Wow. Very cool ideas.

I may have a new winter project ; )

S.J.

Nutha, Are you familiar with the S.I.B. mounts? They are mounts that allow you to use the mics you already have and mount them internally. Priced around $40 a piece. Cheaper than Mays. Secondly, have you experimented with the direction/placement of the mics? Awhile back I spent a day in the studio placing and replacing my Mays and I found that I got a bigger sound in my toms by facing the mic towards the resonant head away from the batter head without losing any attack. Soon after that Modern Drummer came out with an article on internally mounting and they got the same results facing the mic away from the batter head. Just a thought.....

Nutha, Are you familiar with the S.I.B. mounts? They are mounts that allow you to use the mics you already have and mount them internally. Priced around $40 a piece. Cheaper than Mays. Secondly, have you experimented with the direction/placement of the mics? Awhile back I spent a day in the studio placing and replacing my Mays and I found that I got a bigger sound in my toms by facing the mic towards the resonant head away from the batter head without losing any attack. Soon after that Modern Drummer came out with an article on internally mounting and they got the same results facing the mic away from the batter head. Just a thought.....

I agree. I made an internal mic mount in my bass drum and after much experimentation, found that the sound is best when the mic is just a few inches from the resonant head. See the results at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23501

so you just plug the 1/4 inch it looks like into the air hole of your bass drum

Nutha,

Does it matter if the mic mount isn't isolated from the shell, i.e. like the May System is
with a gasket or whatever?

I went with drilling holes and mounting to the shell - rubber grommets under the plate - sounds great, no unwanted signals:
DSC02716.jpg

DSC02717.jpg

Back