Dillemma...what to let go of, what to keep

wombat

Over the years I have accrued a number of drums, with the hope of eventually creating a one or two "consistant kits"

I wont go back the full way in the past, too much surplus info.

However a few years back I got a nice Yammie stage custom of 8 / 10 / rack toms and what was supposed to be a 14 floor tom....only to find to my disguist it was actually a 13 tom.

Initially I "supplemented" the SC with a Gigmaker 12 ' tom and 16' tom. Then I picked up a "half" Tama superstar hyperdrive with 10' tom and 14 floor tom as well as 22' kick.

Fine I thought I will have the Yammie frankenstein and a cutdown hyperdrive.

Just last week I found a cheap other half to the Tama a 10 /12" racks and 16" floor 22 kick.

So I now have a "full" Tammy kit with spares of..

Gigmaker 12 / 16 toms
SC 8/10/13 and 20
Tama 22.

In my "greed" I would like to keep the 8" and even the 10" SC as well as keeping the 20" SC kick which gives a variety in sizes and it has a really lovely sound to it that everyone whos heard it says its the best kick they have heard "ever"

So I am thinking of selling a frankenstein kit of 22 Tama kick 12 and 16 gigmaker toms and 13 SC snare . I could offer a Gigmaker snare or a more expensive (way more expensive) Jarrah stave 14 by 5.

I could add in the 10SC tom as well...I just like its sound.

Question is at what price range to sell a mix of intermediate and "beginner" gear.
I was thinking "high end beginner" say $700 AUS which sounds a lot to you lucky sods elsewhere.... but it is competing with "californians" "percussion plus etc at $500 used or $900 for a new gigmaker.

So thats say $700 for a 12/13/16 tom 22 kick and 14' gigmaker snare with ZBTs :thrown in.

Would be $400 more for the stave snare and more still if higher end cymbals are wanted. (14' Agop alchemy hats, 20' Paiste Alpha or Meinl raw bell rides)

Any thoughts welcomed, even suggested changes in the lineup would be good.

I could offer the 8 and 10 Stage Customs but think the Gigmaker stuff will always drag the price down !!

Cheers
wombat_small.gif

I don't know what you just said.

The only thing I can say is that wombat's closing animation blends nicely with Dre's avatar.

....only to find to my disguist it was actually a 13 tom....

...selling a frankenstein kit of 22 Tama kick 12 and 16 gigmaker toms and 13 SC snare...

So.... is the 13 a tom or a snare? I don't think Yamaha makes a 13" stage custom snare.
10, 12, and 14 AFAIK.

"....Just last week I found a cheap other half to the Tama a 10 /12" racks and 16" floor 22 kick.

So I now have a "full" Tammy kit with spares of...."

So, you have a 10, 12, 16, 22 Tama kit that all matches?

Plus 12, 16 Gigmaker toms
and
Stage Custom 8, 10, 13(?) and 20

Gigmaker snare?

Jarrah snare?

You got yourself a mess there guy - LOL

Not at all sure where I'd start with that.

Have you considered making two sets out of all of it, selling them both, and getting one set where it all matches?

Wombat, I think you'd do better selling individual drums because that way you'd find people who want those specifically.

A franken-kit won't sell for as much as a matched kit, even if it is objectively a better collection of drums.

Also, I think your pricing estimates may be very optimistic. Pearl Exports currently sell around $800 on Aus online music stores. At $700 I can't see you finding too many takers.

You may decide that either I am wrong and that your drums are way better than new Pearl Exports (I honestly couldn't tell you either way!), but to me "high end beginner" says Export or equivalent.

A franken-kit won't sell for as much as a matched kit, even if it is objectively a better collection of drums.

BINGO!

I''m sort of going through the same thing. 12 and 16 tom match (1980's MIJ Yammies), 13 is a Pearl Masters, and 24 bass is a 3-ply mahogany premier. Awesome set, but would not sell together for squat! I'm going to re-wrap them and play the heck out of 'em!

Thanks for the replies / advice.

Keep it all or sell as individual parts seems to be the 2 main suggestions (apart from the 2 who found what I wrote incomprehensible)

I guess I am being greedy / lazy in trying to sell off my unwanted parts quickly and for the best price I can get !!

I now have a complete Tama superstar kit by combining 2 half kits of the same colour for much cheaper than buying a full kit. So I have an extra 22" kick I can sell indivividually or as part of a frankenstein.

The Stage Custom I bought as a "fusion size" of supposedly 20' kick and 8 10 and 14 toms... which would have been fine except the 14 floor tom ended up being 13"

I could keep it as is except for the 13" which I guess I could sell "as a single item" and substitute in the 14' from the Tama as needed.

What I really wanted is to just keep the 20' kick ( great sound and also leaves me with variety) and possibly the 8' as variety too ( but I dont need it as such)

As for the gigmaker I am happy to gert rid of all the remaining components I have ie The 14 " snare 12 and 16 " toms.

Somehow I cant see me selling the Gigmaker bits as individial items.

I could sell the Stage Custom as a fusion kit ( as there are a number of people with the rock "specs" of 12 13 and 16 toms 14 snare and 22 kick, who are wanting the smaller sixe toms) As I know some will buy an entire kit just to get at the 8, 10 and 20.

I could also sell the 8 10 and 20 individually as well as one of the 22 Tama kicks.

The problem in my mind is trying to sell the Gigmaker bits seperately. Somehow I cant see any buyers wanting them given they are basswood "entry level kit stuff ( albeit well made, well cared for and quality hardware)

I also would prefer to keep the Stage Custom 20" as it sounds great and I now have two 22 inch Tamas..... so would be better to have the Yammie 20 and the Tama 22 and loose the other 22.

Hence the idea of the frankie kit of the "upgrade" ( birch) components of 22, 10, and 13 and the "top line beginners" Gigmaker stuff of 12, 16 and 14 " snare.

I would throw in a ZBT "pack" of hats 16 crash and 20 ride with the frankenstein kit.

I get what people say about beginners not wanting to buy a frankie kit.

I could sell a "pure" yammie kit and including the 20" stage custom kick with "free gigmaker bits / ZBTs". Alas I just have a strong attachment to that 20 " and would rather sell the Tama 22

I also live 1.5 hours out of the Perth CBD (3 hrs from the northern suburbs) so need to be able to entice people to come and take as much as possible in one go !! Hence a desire to sell as a "kit" rather than parts.....

Anyway thanks for the thoughts, I am musing on them....any more ideas / recommendations are welcome !!

Cheers
wombat_small.gif

Back