Help me choose which thread to read about which kit to buy

edvia

There are just so many threads to choose from, yet only 24 hours in a day! So do I go with "Need help picking a drumset" or "Have to choose between three kits" or "Best kit for X dollars/euros/pounds/local currency" or one of the 10,000 other similar posts? Sheesh!

Maybe just create one master thread that says "buy this kit for $X, that kit for $Y", etc. and make a permalink for it. And of course with the disclaimer to always buy used! :)

Last edited:
Those threads are biased as hell.

Brand snobs and band wagoners who haven't tried half the stuff they recommend, ppl who just want attention, ppl who want you to join their team, anti-china ppl, mapex underdogs etc

I am more open to a used kit than I once was but I would try everything, everything is pretty good so it's okay to buy with your ears and your eyes. Hardware is a big one for me too.

I went with mapex saturns for their great sound, price and finish, I didn't try everything on the planet but I'm very happy.

I don't know about "biased" regarding the help choosing a drum kit threads. Most of the people commenting are giving good information on what they know about drums in general. There are dozens of drum companies out there making very good drums

There will always be players that will like one brand over another but may have some valuable insight on pros and cons of particular drums.

Myself, I like Gretsch...mostly because I started to play them in 1969 and they do make decent drums. I will be the first to say there are many other fantastic drums out there. In my experience it's been the larger more well known drum companies that are able to sell great drums at low prices - they call it 'price-point' sales.

If you look around you can buy a decent quality kit for $600-$800.

It helps to know at least a little about what you want from a kit, your budget, and your intended playing situation before getting too far into asking opinions or starting "which is best" kinds of threads. As mentioned once you start asking for opinions you're going to get a lot, and it's often hard to tell what is helpful and what is isn't if you don't already have at least some idea on what your needs are.

It doesn't require a lot of research, but a little Googling, YouTube, and/or visiting manufacturer websites can often lead to finding, if not a possible favorite, at least some of the basic specs of your options. After that it makes it easier to put any opinions you ask for into a context that makes more sense and can help fine tune your expectations even further.

One of the most frustrating things about clicking into the "help me pick a (___)" threads is trying to help someone that either has NO idea what they want or is so locked in to their choice they ignore or challenge any opinions that aren't "yeah man DO IT" kinds of replies.

There is no easy way. Of course there is bias, like in every review out there on anything.

Research and scan through them all, and in the end its mainly up to your budget, your tastes (blue vs. red), and to some lesser degree your style of music (drum sizes). Quite frankly, with nice heads and tuning, just about any kit above $400 can be made to sound (maybe not look) decent.....for a start.

The learning part is all in the journey.

Im waiting for the "saturns are the solution to.... cancer, world hunger, atomic warfare, birth control, etc.."

Well, you could ask me. I have, afterall, owned many of the upper-end ply-drums on the market through the years, other than Sonor's top-shelf stuff, I've played them all, I think ;)

For me, probably THE most important consideration are the sizes/configuration of the kit. After all, size requirements for a bop drummer will be vastly different from a thrash metal drummer, and so on. Once you decide on sizes, find some in that configuration that are within your price range and let your ears decide. Then you can fine-tune the sound with head selection and tuning.

Or you can just buy Mapex Saturns, and an angel will get its wings :)

Don't read any of those threads.

Instead, read about which cymbals you ought to buy.

A: The black ones by Zildjian.

Those threads are biased as hell.

Brand snobs and band wagoners who haven't tried half the stuff they recommend, ppl who just want attention, ppl who want you to join their team, anti-china ppl, mapex underdogs etc

I am more open to a used kit than I once was but I would try everything, everything is pretty good so it's okay to buy with your ears and your eyes. Hardware is a big one for me too.

I went with mapex saturns for their great sound, price and finish, I didn't try everything on the planet but I'm very happy.

Perfect example of bias^....He didn't try everything but went with Mapex(band wagoners,brand snobs)

The first thing you have to do is figure out your buget.Do you need cymbals and hardware also?Do you mind buying used,which will in some cases ,double your buying power.Do you have knowledge about your instrument,or do you like most car drivers do,just get in the car,start it up,and drive away?

Do you know when a shell is in round,and what a good bearing edge looks like?These problems aren't unique to used drums,and new ones can be out of round,and have bad edges also.I say that to shut up the only buy new crowd.

If you need cymbals,spend at LEAST one third of your buget on cymbals,and stay away from sets or packs,and listen to each one by it self and then together.

You live in LA,so there are a few places to play some drums,and two five star drum shops as well.Ray Fransens drum center and The Professional Drum shop,are a great place to start.I say this all the time,because I believe it,and that's to buy with your ears,and not just another guys opinion,of what he thinks sound best.You're playing them.....not him,so you are the one that has to be satisfied.

If I'm being honest....till I know how much you want to spend,what you need and what you play,and are you going to gig,I couldn't even begin to help you.

Steve B

Last edited:
It's easy cheap kits sound good with good heads good cymbals sound good with cheap stands and crap sticks don't break as much.butt get a Supra man.

It's true there are many threads on this subject, but there are common themes that keep coming up!

A good example was a thread called 'Most versatile kit?' :

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1244641#post1244641

A 'versatile' or 'standard' kit will sound good for most types of music, so it's a good place to invest your money. 'Standard' sizes are kick size 22 or 22, and toms 10/12/14 or 10/12/16 (or even 12/13/16). My favourites: 22/10/12/16 or 20/10/12/14.
For cymbals a good start would be a medium ride (20 or 22), medium hats (14 or 13), thin Crash (16 or 18).

There are some common opinions on the forum that will get you so far, but eventually you will need to choose for yourself, and there will be something that tips the balance in the favour of one kit. I love my second-hand kit but wouldn't try to persuade you that it's better than all the others, it is just the one I liked best when I tried them.

Remember that you should spend 30-40% of your budget on cymbals. You can make cheap drums sound good with tuning and choice of heads, but you can't change the sound of cymbals, so it's worth spending on cymbals.

Then the brands, depending on your budget: for midrange drums, Gretsch Catalina, Yamaha Stage Custom, Tama Imperialstar or Rockstar, Pearl Export are all good. There are more than these but these are ones I have tried and like the sound and price of.
For cymbals: Best value IMO is Zildjian A, Paiste 2002 or Sabian AA. (because these are widely available used, so the prices are pretty good, for example on eBay).

If I'm being honest....till I know how much you want to spend,what you need and what you play,and are you going to gig,I couldn't even begin to help you.

Steve B

I bet $1,000 whatever you say it's going to be a ludwig.

Brand snob.

;)

Last edited:
I bet $1,000 whatever you say it's going to be a ludwig.

Brand snob.

;)

No,actually,if you read any of my past posts,I have recomended several different brands.I also recomend buying with your ears,and actually playing what you but,before making a decision.Would you buy a car before taking it for a test drive,and looking under the hood (sorry bonnet).Maybe you should have tried more kits before buying Mapex.Why limit your options?

So I'd say,based on my previous posts,you'd lose that bet.I have my favorites,but am inclined to listen to other drum brands,seeing is how I own not only Ludwig,but Tama,Pearl,Slingerland,Leedy and Premier drums and 5 different brands of cymbals.....that I often mix on the kits.It drives the OCD guys up the wall.Brand snob.....hardly.Ta ta for now.:)

Steve B

That's sexist and racist and I don't like it.

Find me a post in the last month where you've recommended a non-ludwig drum and I might give you 1000 bucks*.

*I won't give you 1000 bucks

That's sexist and racist and I don't like it.

Find me a post in the last month where you've recommended a non-ludwig drum and I might give you 1000 bucks*.

*I won't give you 1000 bucks

Sure that's easy,on 8/12/2014,I recomended a Tama Imperialstar kit under the thread .."Help me find a good drum kit".I have also recommend Tama starclassics, Mapex Saturns and Mydentities,Gretsch Catalinas and other brands as well...

I especially Like Guru drums and have said so many times.If I had the cash,I'd have a set in my house right now,instead of a new Ludwig kit.I've even recommened them if your buget can stand the expence of getting one getting one of the best built,best looking and ,most incredible sounding instruments on the planet....barr none.

Just a little research will prove I'm right,but you can keep the 1000 bucks.Just go back a few posts. But sexist and racist....you're just grabbing at straws now.Nothing in my post had ANYTHING to do with sex or race,and now you're also being dishonest.Re read it again.If you're refering to my OCD comment,that's called ....humor,and again has zero,zilch nana,and nothing to do with sex or race.

Steve B

Last edited:
Sure that's easy,on 8/12/2014,I recomended a Tama Imperialstar kit under the thread .."Help me find a good drum kit".I have also recommend Tama starclassics, Mapex Saturns and Mydentities,Gretsch Catalinas and other brands as well...

I especially Like Guru drums and have said so many times.If I had the cash,I'd have a set in my house right now,instead of a new Ludwig kit.I've even recommened them if your buget can stand the expence of getting one getting one of the best built,best looking and ,most incredible sounding instruments on the planet....barr none.

Just a little research will prove I'm right,but you can keep the 1000 bucks.Just go back a few posts. But sexist and racist....you're just grabbing at straws now.Nothing in my post had ANYTHING to do with sex or race,and now your also being dishonest.Re read it again.If you're refering to my OCD comment,that's called ....humor,and again has zero,zilch nana,and nothing to do with sex or race.

Steve B

Don't mind Steve, he gets pretty offended when you say anything that doesn't agree with his "expert" opinion.

Back