drum workouts....

Normal fitness/strength training should be more than enough to play drums.

Playing drums isn't really about muscle development. It it was, Mr. Olympia would be the WFD every year.

In my opinion, the most important muscles to develop in drumming are the ones that let you throw a few hundred pounds of drumming gear into a vehicle without injuring yourself. But again, a normal strength training program for basic fitness should suffice.

Normal fitness/strength training should be more than enough to play drums.

Playing drums isn't really about muscle development. It it was, Mr. Olympia would be the WFD every year.

In my opinion, the most important muscles to develop in drumming are the ones that let you throw a few hundred pounds of drumming gear into a vehicle without injuring yourself. But again, a normal strength training program for basic fitness should suffice.

What i'm talking about is a few key exercises in developing the slow twitch muscle fibers that allow your limbs to get tired less quickly. Along with endurance training that is specific for drum playing longevity. Drummers that are gigging/touring more then 4 nights a week have to really know how to keep there stamina up and make sure they dont get muscle fatigue too quickly. Do you agree?

What i'm talking about is a few key exercises in developing the slow twitch muscle fibers that allow your limbs to get tired less quickly. Along with endurance training that is specific for drum playing longevity. Drummers that are gigging/touring more then 4 nights a week have to really know how to keep there stamina up and make sure they dont get muscle fatigue too quickly. Do you agree?

Ok for stamina - Cardio, Good diet and hydration.

For fatigue etc whilst playing - not much for "workout" other than better technique and an ergonomically arranged kit. I think that post for sticking exercises above was meant to say that. Get your hands and wrists doing technique correctly and then really no muscle fatigue to speak of.
Bill Bruford was clear on this. You don't have to be a muscular, sweating heavy hitter to have speed, endurance and finesse around a drumkit.

As for fitness of drummers, and stamina, I'm not even sure good Cardio or diet is absolutely required. Have a look at Buddy' Guys drummer.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIYx_L9U7rw

I took lessons for a short time in the 80's and my teacher gave me some killer exercises that transformed my hands from clumsy to responsive. So yes.

Drummers that are gigging/touring more then 4 nights a week have to really know how to keep there stamina up and make sure they dont get muscle fatigue too quickly.

Remember that they're playing their drums regularly for long periods.....that speaks volumes doesn't it? Sure some of them may well work out, but that is secondary to the task at hand.....for all round conditioning and general wellbeing. It is not a primary role in their abilty to play drums for long periods. The ability for that comes from drumming itself.

It's simple, the more you do, the more profficient you become.

I know it's a novel approach in the new age, but playing drums really is the very best way to develop the ability to play drums. I'll never understand why people stopped believing that it is.

Yes.

Many do.

Neil Peart, Kenny Arnoff among many other pros are really big on working out to stay in top shape for drumming.

In the early 90's Zildjian used to run an ad showing Dave Weckl in the gym.

I think the OP was referring to drumming specific exercises developed especially for drummers, not general conditioning. Everybody holds and works sticks differently. Technique questions are the hardest to discuss. It's like talking religion in a lot of ways. People are going to do what works for them and not be too open to others ways. I'm guilty of it too, I love the technique I was taught and wouldn't change it at this point.

I have those forearm squeezer things that work your fingers, hands are forearms really well. I've found the exercise helps me stay relaxed, and increases stamina.

I think that in our life as drummers we hope that, through our practice, we are able to achieve a high level of balance and consistency between all the limbs. This would give us the best chance of being able to express ourselves as our mind wishes us to. There is no doubt in my mind that the best way to achieve this balance is through practice on the drum set itself.

Having said that, I think there is merit to doing some physical workout. Lifting weights in general balances the body's muscles and this balance has an overall effect on blood circulation, spinal alignment etc. We also may be able to achieve more relative balance in strength in our fingers and wrists by doing some mild exercises for the fingers and forearms, calves and shins. I'm not talking about lifting for getting a big physique. Rather for balance between the limbs. After all, this is what we are trying to achieve as drummers, in my opinion.

Weights are good, but drumming isn't going to improve necessarily with aded size and bulk. Repetition and endurance is key. I love my exercise bike and it definitely helped me out, physical endurance, overall energy, and core strength! Helps reduce fatigue, and improve sitting posture (possibly). Heck, while i'm on the bike, I've got a practice pad so I can work on rudiments at the same time. :)

Martial arts hands exercises are beneficial, earning to switch between hand positions is almost unbeatable for finger/hand dexterity, once you get the hang of it.

Years ago I noticed that Buddy Rich began martial arts in his early 40s, was very serious about it. Also one instructor I learned much from mentioned yoga, in passing. I knew there was a reason he did. That tipped me off to "more than meets the eye" regarding playing stamina, control, speed, endurance.

Hand strengtheners, finger yoga, wrist and hand claps...a few more things that have helped me.

I'm skeptical but I might look at it.

Are you selling something? Sounds like it hehe

Best way to build drumming endurance? PLAY MORE DRUMS..

I practice a few hours a day with a click track and pump up the tempos to just around failure... so when i have a 45 minute gig its a walk in the park.

ive seen some pretty out of shape guys amazing on the kit..

Cardo is always a plus... (jogging, rollerblade, elliptical, or MORE DRUMS)

its all been said... set up your kit ergonomically, have proper technique.. and play lots. I don't think hours in the gym will make anyone a better drummer. big muscles actually make you tire faster because they require more oxygen and blood.. you don't see alot of professional UFC fighters and whatnot look like roided out freaks or they would be gassed in one round.

I'm skeptical but I might look at it.

Are you selling something? Sounds like it hehe

$ I'll let you in on the good stuff....:DDD

Here's the gist of one idea I was talking about, referring to "strikes" and hand positions. IF you can master the ability of switching between the grips, with power and speed, conceptually it's not different than switching to french grip to german, or whatever technique, on the kit. There's a little more to it...;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_(attack)

Question: If there was an exercise/workout routine to help us with our muscles for drumming would you try it?

Absolutely! I've looked for "drum oriented gym-workout" type books (or even websites) in the past, and I've never really been able to find anything more than one or two random tips... I've wondered why no one has "stepped up" and made a book/dvd for this stuff!

Back