show off your snare

A 1930's COB Duplex and a 30's Solid Ludwig i'm about to restore..

Last edited by a moderator:
My three favorite snares-custom work by myself and some great shell builders!
Distressed Copper 7"X13"-distressed and assembled by myself
7"X13" Block shell (Purpleheart, Paduk & Curly Maple) with a maple shell inside with slider to vent drum; Yamaha hoops lathed and vent cut by me.
6.5"X14" Solid Maple Vaughncraft shell. Six small vents and Stainless Steel liner custom fitted in my wood shop.

Attachments

• IMG_11122.jpg
    IMG_11122.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,451
  • IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,406
  • IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,443
My collection (sorry for the low quality cell phone pics):

Top to bottom (L to R) 8x14 Tama Starclassic Bubinga, 6x14 Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch, 6x14 Tama Starclassic G Maple (custom made Ruby Red finish), 5.5x14 Tama Hand Hammered Copper, 6.5x14 OCDP Bell Brass w/Starclassic lugs), 7x14 Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga w/outer ply of Birds eye maple, 6.5x14 Starclassic Maple (gradation raspberry), 6.5x14 Starclassic Birch (ruby red), 6x14 Tama Warlord Spartan, 6.5x14 Unix Zebrawood Stave, 6.5x14 Pearl Brass Free Floater, 5.5x14 Tama steel, 8x14 Slingerland Magnum, 6.5x14 Ocheltree Heavy Metals 22, 5x14 Arbirter and 1982 model 6.5x14 Tama Imperialstar Mastercraft

IMG_1212_zpsrjnuuxkg.jpg

not pictured on the racks:
8x14 Unix Segment Snare Bubinga, Birch, Mahogany, Padauk and Oak with Bubinga Hoops, Dunnett R7 Throw

IMG_1091_zps1a5db4b6.jpg

7x14 Tama John Tempesta
imagejpg1_zps1113f8cb.jpg

7x12 Unix Padauk Stave
padauk1.jpg

6x10 Pork Pie Maple
IMG_8167.jpg

7"X13" Block shell (Purpleheart, Paduk & Curly Maple) with a maple shell inside with slider to vent drum; Yamaha hoops lathed and vent cut by me.
6.5"X14" Solid Maple Vaughncraft shell. Six small vents and Stainless Steel liner custom fitted in my wood shop.

So is that a huge adjustable porthole? Kind of ugly, but I would be curious how the sound progresses if it is what I think it is, the porthole can slide open and closed, so you can test varying degrees of vent sizes? Would love to see a pic of the innards.

This is my Buffalo snare. I bought a cheap ($30 new!) Remo Buffalo Drum (hand drum) and screwed a set of snare wires into it. The angle of the snare wires gives them the proper tension against the batter side head. The Buffalo Drum shell is made of Acousticon and the head is Fiberskyn. I started using a Buffalo snare about 4 years ago. I used a 14 inch for about 3 years and the head looked like it had never been hit. I switched between an 8, 10, and 12 inch before deciding on an 8 inch Buffalo snare for my current kit. The Buffalo snare is the driest snare you can imagine. The lack of a bottom head means more projection to cut through the mix. No hardware means the 8 inch weighs about a half pound. I love these drums. They sound great, cost very little, are immune to temperature changes, and no one else has them. I do encourage you to try making one for yourself!

buffalosnare1.jpg
The 8 inch Buffalo snare.

cock2.jpg
The 8 inch mounted to my newest crazy kit.

snare2.jpg
An inside shot of the 14 inch Buffalo snare showing the mounting method - just a screw through the snare end plate.

snare3.jpg
Outside shot of the 14" Buffalo drum showing the screw/washer.

snare4.jpg
Inside shot of the 14" Buffalo snare showing how the wires rest against the head.
There was a little rattle with the 14" so I had to tape the ends of the snare wires down.
The 8" does not rattle and does not require any tape.

Last edited:

BEST looking copper snare I've seen yet. Love the oxidation. Too bad Ludwig doesn't do that with the soon to be marketed CopperPhonic....

I have everyone beat, i have the ugliest snare here lol

ddrum 14x7 shawn drover sig snare , etched aluminum shell with die cast hoops, nice ugly black lugs to! cant wait to strip the black off this snare them it wont look half bad lol.
is very dry sound no ring just crack

Attachments

• cvnhcvbhbnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg
    cvnhcvbhbnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 1,301
Got a used (mint condition) AK Kirchler Copper Standard 14x6.5" snare with Craviotto snare wires. The handmade chrome-over-brass stick chopper style hoops have holes for the snare cord. It is a few years old and it has a bit of a patina to it.

It is easy to tune (low to high) and sounds great. The strainer is very smooth. This is definitely heirloom quality.

http://www.ak-drums.com/home.html

GJS

Attachments

• AK Top.jpg
    AK Top.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,281
  • AK Side.jpg
    AK Side.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,238
Got a used (mint condition) AK Kirchler Copper Standard 14x6.5" snare with Craviotto snare wires. The handmade chrome-over-brass stick chopper style hoops have holes for the snare cord. It is a few years old and it has a bit of a patina to it.

It is easy to tune (low to high) and sounds great. The strainer is very smooth. This is definitely heirloom quality.

GJS
Great snag! Love the simple clean approach.

Back