Looking at your foot

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I was practicing today and I was having some trouble doing 16ths in some tricky places with my bass drum. In frustration, I stared at my right foot and tried executing the patterns and it was actually much easier. I found I could control how far the beater traveled from the head between notes, so it didn't move farther than it needed to.

Can't believe I've been playing for 32 years and that just occurred to me. Anyone else look at your bass foot when having problems with it?

Interesting. I never really thought of that. Do you find it is primarily a distance between beater and head thing, then? We always thing of foot position and action on the footboard.

BTW, nice to hear from you Martin!!

Anyone else look at your bass foot when having problems with it?

Yes, I will also look at my bass foot. Unfortunately, it doesn't help with the problem. ;-)

It seems like as far back as I can remember I've looked at my feet when I'm not able to pull off what I want. I think it helps me focus (mentally) on what I want my feet to do.

Not looking at it as such, but I do sort of shift my mental attention to my foot at times, when I feel like it's not behaving itself and needs to do better! That often helps.

Interesting. I never really thought of that. Do you find it is primarily a distance between beater and head thing, then? We always thing of foot position and action on the footboard.

BTW, nice to hear from you Martin!!

Yes, I think it is mainly that I can pay attention to exactly how far the beater is from the drum. Due to leverage, a small change in the footboard can mean a couple of inches in the beater position.

Back