Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

My unpopular opinion would be that Zildjian doesn't make a nice sounding cymbal.

I thought I was alone on this.

I think their older cymbals (1960s) sound much better than today's issues.

How on Earth could I have missed this thread?

The Beatles suck.

The Duallist is a great invention.

Square sizes rule.

The hihat and left foot are crucial.

Double pedals are a silly distraction, unless you play Metal, which has more players than listeners.

Metal is the goofiest genre of music ever made, moreso than children's music.

There, I think I've offered an unpopular opinion on just about everything.

DMC!!! You're back! I honestly and truly have missed you. I feel like we have had some great debates on drumming that I miss having. Please come back to DW, we could be like a much more charming Larry and Caddywumpus.

BTW, if square drums are so great then why don't you play a 20x20 Bass drum?

Hah!

Agreed, they will never be matched.

I live in hope they will be matched someday soon. It is strange, given what has followed, that they influenced so many musicians, changed popular music beyond recognition, wrote so many great songs, influenced fashion, pushed music in new directions but.........were universally popular and have an enduring legacy. I remember back in the day the talk was "What are they going to come up with next" It wasnt just fans that said this it was also other musicians trying hard to keep up. They achieved an almost impossible feat by being both hugely popular and hugely influential musically.

Globally massive acts since seem to have only appealed to a narrow age range, and there fame is short lived. Take That, Spice Girls, Justin Beiber, Lady Ga Ga, One Direction. Massive for a fairly short time, musically one dimensional, with very little lasting influence on music or musicians. I cant think of many popular acts, that have pushed music to somewhere new.

If you consider that the Beatles produced all that ground breaking and influential music in little more than seven years. Truly remarkable.

Drummers need to tone it down. I mean, how obnoxious is an instrument that makes more sound when you hit it harder. Hit it softer! Softer!

I thought I was alone on this.

I think their older cymbals (1960s) sound much better than today's issues.

Alone? Heck no. I only own one Zildjian cymbal and it's the one that every Zildjian lover seems to hate: the late 1970s Pang.

The drumset, hardware, cymbals, sticks, and heads you use make almost no difference to anyone but ourselves. Crappy drummers sound crappy and good drummers sound good on plastic buckets and custom made DW's. It's just fun to buy stuff and that's why we do it.

I actually wouldn't state this quite as emphatically but I wanted to make sure it would be unpopular enough for this thread.

And one more.. Almost every drum solo ever is boring noise and sound like someone doing practice exercises or just seeing how fast they can play - even Buddy! I bet that is unpopular and I really believe it. Solos perpetuate the myth of drummers not being REAL musicians. If drum solos were music they would stand on there own as music and listened to enjoyably frequently by people other than drummers.

Last edited:

The Beatles suck.

Square sizes rule.

Double pedals are a silly distraction, unless you play Metal, which has more players than listeners.

Your bash every Ringo and the Beatles thread,at every oportunity radar,must have been turned off..:)

Steve B

I quite like the 16" Sabian Solar crash (when it cracks at the edge and is drilled) and the 14" Solar Hihats (top cymbal on the bottom, bottom cymbal on top)

COMPANIES DO NOT ENDORSE DRUMMERS. DRUMMERS ENDORSE THINGS PRODUCED BY COMPANIES.

+1

I've been seeing a fair bit of people who have endorsement deals making this exact mistake on their webpages, social media, ect.

I'm actually playing with such a person in a few weeks. How much of an ass would I sound like bringing that up? hah.

The Beatles suck.

Square sizes rule.

I also have missed you, though mainly just from reading your comments :) I have to say i agree with a lot of what you say, square sizes deffo rule, double pedals and hi hat all agree, i played a duallist and quite liked it tbh, i just dont agree about beatles but thats why its great, music is 100% personal opinion :) good to have you back

I don't get all the hate for Stagg hardware or cymbals. And their basses actually.
Drums aren't the best I've heard, but the rest of the stuff I mentioned is decent.

I don't get how Pearl (and others) bang on about resonance and whatnot in their drums, then cut holes in the shells to whack a hardware pole through.

Drummers who have their toms at 80 degree angles to their bass drum (or more or less parallel to their face).

More than two bass drums on a kit. Why?

That stupid plastic arsehole drum port. Seriously, it looks like an anus.

Plastic or metal drumsticks.

Soundtechs that mic up every amp on the stage but refuse to go near the drummer. (I'm a soundtech, this pisses me off to no end).

People who get elitist over really really stupid shit where expense doesn't necessarily mean quality.

Drum expos. I love going to them, but there's just something about them that really pisses me off too. I dunno, maybe because there's not enough stuff to see I guess? Like, I want EVERYTHING drum related, not just some heads n kits.

Over-complicated timings or sig break downs. Why? If it's basically 4/4 at 120 then why do you need to break it down into something that's just OTT and will cause countless arguments, to then likely be proven wrong anyway.

That goes for general OTT time sigs. Why play in 31/32? Like, just what is the frigging need? You don't need to play at 3.(15/16)/4 time.

LE3T/ELEET idiots.

Glue/gunk/tape on heads or pans.

Think that's it for now... I'm sure I'll find something else in time.

I'm sorry Menace, that's likely to be a popular move, & doesn't belong in this thread (see what I did there) ;)

Damn you and your English sensibility Andy!! How dare you ruin my warpath...

Well... to contribute something OT to this thread: I think that matched grip looks funny. I'm a younger guy (30<) but I play trad grip. I got a kick out of my wife sitting behind the kit and playing the drums just for kicks. She is a musician but not a drummer. She player with trad grip, like that was the only way to play based on what she had seen up until then.

Back